Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transfer Iberia Avios to BA member in household group?

Transfer Iberia Avios to BA member in household group?

Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Question Transfer Iberia Avios to BA member in household group?

I've tried searching around for an answer to this without much luck (also posted in another thread but no responses).

Can you transfer Avios from an Iberia account to a BA account that's part of a household group? I know you can't to an Avios family account (not that these really exist any more I guess), but I wasn't sure on the BA accounts.

I'm looking to create a household group for my wife and I and as far as I can tell that's the only potential problem. Unless others can tell me of any downsides to this that I'm unaware of?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Thats true, it wont let you transfer direct from Iberia to BA Household.

However, you can still currently use the workaround. Iberia -> Avios -> BA household (two step process).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Can you even create Avios accounts any more? Both mine and my wife's accounts were closed automatically as part of the recent changes.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by RG1X
Can you even create Avios accounts any more? Both mine and my wife's accounts were closed automatically as part of the recent changes.
An Aer Lingus AerClub account is basically an Avios account. Same for Vueling or Flybe's 's scheme if those float your boat more.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

No issues transferring from those to BA (household) I assume then?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by RG1X
No issues transferring from those to BA (household) I assume then?
None in my experience, although mine was an old Avios account into which I tacked an Aer Club account to credit an Aer Lingus booking (and prevent the Avios account from expiring). I think others have reported newly created accounts work as well!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Cool. Cheers all.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by email2markt
Thats true, it wont let you transfer direct from Iberia to BA Household.

However, you can still currently use the workaround. Iberia -> Avios -> BA household (two step process).
So can I do this other way around? Transfer points to a Avios account then onto my Iberia account from my family account?

If not other option would be to close account. After how long can you close a family account?

Basically my partner doesn't have the miles but has a BOGO voucher on her account which we want to use with my miles. If we set up a family account this should be possible right?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by onlysuites
So can I do this other way around? Transfer points to a Avios account then onto my Iberia account from my family account?

If not other option would be to close account. After how long can you close a family account?

Basically my partner doesn't have the miles but has a BOGO voucher on her account which we want to use with my miles. If we set up a family account this should be possible right?
I dont believe theres any issue the other way: you can transfer direct from a BAEC-in-HHA account to IB+.

Yes - if you mean she has a BOGO in BAEC account, forming an HHA will allow you to use your joint mileage with the voucher.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perfect. Thank you
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauldb
Yes - if you mean she has a BOGO in BAEC account, forming an HHA will allow you to use your joint mileage with the voucher.
A tiny problem is that she doesn't have many Avios where as I have 90% of them. Is that still ok? Say if it's 200k for a redemption and she only has 25k.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Not really - you can transfer the Avios out of your own account, not the total HHA balance.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No what I mean is if I have 300k and my partner has 100k can she make a 200k redemption with a family account.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Ah, yes. That's fine.
onlysuites likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.