Bathroom Soap on BA/airplane scent

Old Jan 5, 19, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Bathroom Soap on BA/airplane scent

I was wondering if anyone else finds the scent of the washroom soap on BA to be rather irritating and unpleasant?

I am fairly sensitive to perfume, dyes, and other chemicals, and I get a headache every time I fly BA. I believe there's a particular perfume used in the cabin (I notice this the most on the older 777s) but what really gets me is the highly scented hand soap used in the washrooms. I can't describe the odor, but it is powerful, and it seems to cling to my hands even after running them under water for a good 30 seconds. The smell is so powerful that it spreads across the cabin as the flight progresses. I've taken to using my own hand sanitizer (or using the wipes meant for the toilet seats on my hands) but it doesn't prevent me from developing a pretty rough headache mid-flight. Other airlines also use scented soap in the bathrooms (AA, I'm looking at you) but the scent on BA just drives me nuts -- enough so that I am starting to avoid the airline as much as I can.

Curious if anyone else feels similarly? Or even notices this at all?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 5, 19, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Jstern115 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else finds the scent of the washroom soap on BA to be rather irritating and unpleasant?

I am fairly sensitive to perfume, dyes, and other chemicals, and I get a headache every time I fly BA. I believe there's a particular perfume used in the cabin (I notice this the most on the older 777s) but what really gets me is the highly scented hand soap used in the washrooms. I can't describe the odor, but it is powerful, and it seems to cling to my hands even after running them under water for a good 30 seconds. The smell is so powerful that it spreads across the cabin as the flight progresses. I've taken to using my own hand sanitizer (or using the wipes meant for the toilet seats on my hands) but it doesn't prevent me from developing a pretty rough headache mid-flight. Other airlines also use scented soap in the bathrooms (AA, I'm looking at you) but the scent on BA just drives me nuts -- enough so that I am starting to avoid the airline as much as I can.

Curious if anyone else feels similarly? Or even notices this at all?
I think the soap is just fine for me.
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Jstern115, and welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here and thanks for posting the thread.

I have a feeling this is the villain of the piece;

If it is, then I too find it a difficult odour. Like many farmers I have strong sense of smell and this just is overpowering. Thankfully I don't get headaches from it, and so long as I'm not right next to the WC then I can live with it. But unless I'm much mistaken it has a deliberate lingering fragrance to mask other WC smells.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Alitalia Freccia Alata, 9 stamps on my CaffŤ Nero card.
Oh yes! Ever since I had to endure a WPT trip to JNB next to the washrooms I absolutely hate that smell.
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
The purple Elemis stuff? I quite like it.
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:53 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

This is a very interesting topic you bring to the forum OP, and welcome to FT.

If it is indeed the handwash liquid/foam that you are describing then I can see exactly why it causes you the challenges throughout the flight. The fragrance used in the product photographed by CWS is a very basic (read: cheap) unsophisticated fragrance that is designed to have mass appeal without being polarising. However, based on the chemistry of this fragrance, it does has considerable affects to some users particularly due to the 'heaviness' experienced or deposition on the skin and the unseeming ability to wash it off. The fatty deposits of the synthetic polycyclic musks (PCMs) used as the base notes of this fragrance are the culprits here. PCMs are cheap but substantive materials that are commonly used in many personal care or household products for decades, however due to their biodegradability issues, are falling out of favour with many manufacturers and are/have been replaced in many products. However, PCMs appear to be on the increase only in hair care products at the moment as it is difficult to replace PCMs with materials that provide the same substantivity at the low cost. That being said, there are new technical ways that many fragrance manufacturers are in the process of developing in order to provide the same benefits as PCMs (impact/cost), but still haven't cracked the exact profile just yet despite lots of effort.

It would not take much effort to modify the fragrance very slightly in order to improve it for users such as yourself, without having a significant detrimental impact to the mass consumer's perception.
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post
😂 I fear youíll have to step behind the curtain.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post
Elemis is now only on the ground in (some) BA-operated lounges.

The White Company have replaced Elemis onboard in Club Europe and Club World washrooms, although you will also find a 'normal' soap as pictured above in Club Europe washrooms.

Aromatherapy Associates products are in First washrooms and in the CCR (LHR only).
Scots_Al and simons1 like this.
Old Jan 5, 19, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post

😂 I fear youíll have to step behind the curtain.
haha - I have done plenty of times, but this is the only soap on BA that Iíve ever noticed for any reason positive or negative! Couldnít have told you that something else is used at the back, or fleet-wide these days! Itís still at the GLA lounge I think!
Old Jan 5, 19, 9:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Polycyclic musks are my new words of the day! Everyday a school day here. There's a burnt orange smell in there somewhere I think.
rossmacd and squawk like this.
Old Jan 5, 19, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
There's a burnt orange smell in there somewhere I think.
Thatíll be the CCís tan
Old Jan 5, 19, 10:01 am

Old Jan 5, 19, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
Elemis is now only on the ground in (some) BA-operated lounges.

The White Company have replaced Elemis onboard in Club Europe and Club World washrooms, although you will also find a 'normal' soap as pictured above in Club Europe washrooms.

Aromatherapy Associates products are in First washrooms and in the CCR (LHR only).
Oh no, I really liked the smell of the purple stuff, always associsted it with BA. Is it still available to purchase?
Old Jan 5, 19, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post

Oh no, I really liked the smell of the purple stuff, always associsted it with BA. Is it still available to purchase?
Iíve looked previously, it seems unavailable to the public or discontinued unfortunately.
Old Jan 5, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club
Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post

It was the Elemis British Botanicals line and an exclusive to British Airways I suspect. The one prior to the purple bottles that was in clear bottles was British Lavender which you can still buy.

Although if you look on certain sites such as THIS then there still appear to be misappropriated stock up for sale.

Search this Thread