Bathroom Soap on BA/airplane scent

Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Conincidentally to this question, does anyone know if juniper is used the white Elemis products?

I was at a rather nice house for a NYEs party and they had juniper hand wash in the guest bathrooms - the aroma is identical and gave me Elemis flashbacks the entire evening.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jstern115
Curious if anyone else feels similarly? Or even notices this at all?
Yes! I'm delighted to learn that I'm not imagining this. Cabins smell fine at the start of a flight, and by the end they absolutely reek of the bathroom soap (and/or the hot breakfast smell depending on route).

Other airlines don't seem to suffer this problem -- I imagine the BA smelly handwash was put in with the best of intentions, but I'd be pleased to see the back of it.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Conincidentally to this question, does anyone know if juniper is used the white Elemis products?

Yes, juniper (extract or oil) is used in some Elemis products, but be careful as what is labelled as "juniper" on a bottle at your friend's house, may not actually be a juniper oil or extract inside. It could just be a concoction of synthetics that recreate the smell that is associated with juniper: sweet, woody, crisp and fresh - a very clean smell - much like several coniferous plants. That being said, juniper is a commonly used fragrance material for body wash and some household cleaning products.

A fun fact of juniper oil is that it can be anti-septic, and aids in the treatment of acne and other dermatological conditions. Additionally, juniper extract has been linked to cellulite reduction, but I'm not sure on the science of that personally.
Steve_ZA and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
No you are not imagining it! I’m also hypersensitive to strong perfumes and aftershaves and scented soaps. Almost all can be headache-inducing for me. I intend to take a acarf on board LH flights in case of whiffy passengers but also to try and obscure the smell of strong perfumes!
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:02 pm

Great answers from Rossmacd. Jstern115, like others above I share the dislike of that scent.

Some chemical or 'artificial' scents give me headaches - very quickly. Essential oils never do. I love them and use at home for linen and room sprays with no issues.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
The Elemis was a really nice inoffensive smell - was the purple one lavender as well ?
Due to recently acquiring a sensitive skin I tend to carry my own bar of soap.
Currently in NYC the water here means I can even wash my hair in it - not recommended in London!
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Additionally, juniper extract has been linked to cellulite reduction,
So drink gin to get slim?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Additionally, juniper extract has been linked to cellulite reduction, but I'm not sure on the science of that personally.
This, I think, is the first time I have learnt something about cellulite reduction from FlyerTalk
JustTheOne likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:35 am

I don’t quite understand why nowadays for CE, and at times CW, BA has both The White Company soap alongside this cheap larger nondescript bottle?

I really like the smell of geranium in the former...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
There was a really strong unpleasant smell in the J toilets of an Etihad flight I took last year - like a mixture of stale pee and used coffee grounds. The only relief from the smell was the lovely fragrance of the Acqua di Parma Colonia handwash and handcream.

There was a minute spray bottle of Acqua di Parma Colonia eau de toilette in the Etihad amenity kit. This fragrance will now always remind me of toilets on a plane.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
If you dislike the BA soap then I suggest you avoid RJ. They have 4711 cologne in the toilets and frequently a CC member pops in there to spray it about.... foul smell
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I don’t quite understand why nowadays for CE, and at times CW, BA has both The White Company soap alongside this cheap larger nondescript bottle?

I really like the smell of geranium in the former...
The large bottle of soap also houses an air freshener (a small bottle plus a wick that needs to be pushed into it to activate). Also without the bottle in place you’d be left with a hole in the counter which the bottle screws into.

The product is supplied by Freshorize https://www.freshorize.com/ and my best guess is that the fragrance is Applespice.

Last edited by EJetter; Jan 6, 2019 at 7:18 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Originally Posted by Jstern115
I was wondering if anyone else finds the scent of the washroom soap on BA to be rather irritating and unpleasant?

Curious if anyone else feels similarly? Or even notices this at all?
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:24 am

Yes, juniper (extract or oil) is used in some Elemis products, but be careful as what is labelled as "juniper" on a bottle at your friend's house, may not actually be a juniper oil or extract inside. It could just be a concoction of synthetics that recreate the smell that is associated with juniper: sweet, woody, crisp and fresh - a very clean smell - much like several coniferous plants. That being said, juniper is a commonly used fragrance material for body wash and some household cleaning products.
Thank you for answering, it will always be "the BA smell" in my mind.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
On the back of (most of) those stand-up soap dispenser bottles is an air freshener strip which is exposed (by removing a covering strip) when the dispenser is placed in the lavatory. This adds additional scent to the air in the bathroom (even if you use your own soap, for example).

As a product recommendation, if you can't handle soap or detergent dispensed in public toilets but can handle plain soap, you can buy a small container of soap leaves. Dab your moistened finger on the top of the stack in the container to remove one leaf, apply to hands, scrub and rinse. I carry this for places where soap is not provided in toilets, the service life (if you keep them dry) is years-long.

Available from outdoor shops or large riparian online booksellers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.