Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
The aircraft was returned to base for a number of reasons as Waterhorse touched on, all mandatory medical equipment may have not been available such as the Defib and passenger oxygen also getting the crew home would have been a priority.
Just realised I somehow missed the last bit of Waterhorse's post about the mandatory safety equipment. Thanks both - explains it all.

Al.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:06 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Quick question with regards to an aircraft type decision, particularly topical given the recent LOI from IAG for the grounded 737 MAX series. My question is do / would the IAG pilots representatives be part of the decision or provide any input to the process?

It seems particularly relevant at the moment given the timing of the IAG LOI decision, coming at a time when the type is still forcibly grounded after 2 fatal crashes, no date on the horizon when the grounding will be lifted and what has also been uncovered at Boeing / FAA between the second March crash and the June LOI? As noted in the other long thread, IAG's timing for the LOI seems rather inappropriate to say the least?

So am curious as to whether representatives of the pilots were consulted and had any reservations, particularly given Boeing and the FAA only acted to support the grounding once they were forced to by the rest of the world. No alarm bells voiced to WW?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:19 am

Not a staffer, but I think this is ALL to do with money and getting the very, very, very best deal possible from Airbus and/or Boeing!

The LOI was signed with a rock bottom price under consideration to help Boeing's perception in the public eye. If IAG go that way they get a fantastic price. However, I think their primary game was to use that as a bargaining chip for their next Airbus A32x deal. Either way they get a great deal. He may not care much, but WW isn't stupid. As such I doubt anyone outside the senior executives were consulted. But I am not an insider/staffer!

rb211.
BOH likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Also bear in mind that a Letter of Intent is a looooooooong way from placing an order.

This might just be a way of putting Airbus under pressure to offer a discount.
BOH likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Also bear in mind that a Letter of Intent is a looooooooong way from placing an order.

This might just be a way of putting Airbus under pressure to offer a discount.
LOIs always have escape hatches. Here they may be intended for the consumption of the other airlines, Governments and public.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I have an intolerance to nuts (not an allergy thankfully, but can’t digest them). Down the back that’s fine as the pretzels come with your first drink, is there anything similar available in club / first if you decline the nuts? I don’t want anyone to go out of their way just for me but wondered if an alternative was on hand to non-nutters?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Quick question with regards to an aircraft type decision, particularly topical given the recent LOI from IAG for the grounded 737 MAX series. My question is do / would the IAG pilots representatives be part of the decision or provide any input to the process?

It seems particularly relevant at the moment given the timing of the IAG LOI decision, coming at a time when the type is still forcibly grounded after 2 fatal crashes, no date on the horizon when the grounding will be lifted and what has also been uncovered at Boeing / FAA between the second March crash and the June LOI? As noted in the other long thread, IAG's timing for the LOI seems rather inappropriate to say the least?

So am curious as to whether representatives of the pilots were consulted and had any reservations, particularly given Boeing and the FAA only acted to support the grounding once they were forced to by the rest of the world. No alarm bells voiced to WW?
In all my years I never heard of a pilot group being consulted before an order/option/loi was placed.

I was once sent on a course that started yesterday, but nobody will notice you weren't there
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
I have an intolerance to nuts (not an allergy thankfully, but can’t digest them). Down the back that’s fine as the pretzels come with your first drink, is there anything similar available in club / first if you decline the nuts? I don’t want anyone to go out of their way just for me but wondered if an alternative was on hand to non-nutters?
Explain this to the crew and ask for some crisps or sweet popcorn from the Club Kitchen, you could also ask for some pretzels from WT.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by BOH

I am not sure how IAG make their decisions re aircraft purchase. I do know that when BA made their own decisions before the creation of IAG, the team that looked into possible future aircraft purchase included managers that were pilots.
BOH likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive

Explain this to the crew and ask for some crisps or sweet popcorn from the Club Kitchen, you could also ask for some pretzels from WT.
Thanks for your help, had forgotten about the Club Kitchen.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA
One for the pilots/flight planners. How does the final flight plan that is filed with UK ATC get to all the area control centres on route? For example, say LHR-SIN, how does each ACC know what the plan is? I can’t imagine it’s individually submitted to every single FIR the flight is due to pass though.

If I’m not mistake, Russia charges a hefty fee to flyover Siberia and China only allows commercial flights on a number of the very limited airways. So does each FIR have to approve the route before it’s accepted?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by icegirl
BA.com has a section for passengers to praise staff for good service. Where can you do the opposite?
Similar theme, I've handed over a couple of 'Golden Tickets' over the years, do these just go on an employee record as 'a good thing' or is there some more tangible benefit for the receiving member of staff. Secondly is that across the board as I once gave one to the guardian of the lounge in MAN for letting all 6 of us in on a quiet day :-)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You get a thank you from your manager if you can be bothered to go to meet them in your own time!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Like there is lack of coordination. I think I'm trained to expect boarding doesn't start until the cabin crew (or whomever) give the OK, and then the only time that there is a holdup is if they are still removing wheelchairs, or maybe caterers are just finishing up. I would have thought it a mistake for being sent to stand in a jetway for X? minutes. In the winter or summer, jet bridge temperatures can be uncomfortable, so to me not optimal unless there is discretion.
It feels very Ryan air, like a boarding wait double whammy. You wait at the gate (hopefully in a seat) then 'yay, we're boarding'.....then 'oh we're standing on a jetty'......as mentioned it appears uncoordinated.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:59 pm

You get a thank you from your manager if you can be bothered to go to meet them in your own time!
Half expected that answer, sad really as they could (and should) make something more out of it, we don't exactly get many to hand out so it usually is to someone who's made a real difference. My last one was for a CSD on a night flight back from Jo'Burg, I felt rough getting on the plane and seems I'd got some form of food poisoning. I was in WT+ but she spotted I wasn't doing well, put me in a spare CW seat so I could lie down and kept feeding me anti sickness pills every x hours til we got back.

We operate a corporate reward scheme at work where nominations etc can be made and points are awarded on a scale depending on the award, you can then trade the points for various stuff including Amazon vouchers, perhaps BA should implement something similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.