Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
One for pilots: On aircraft with multiple fuel tanks, will the computers automatically switch to a full tank when the current one being drawn from is empty, or does the changeover have to be done manually?
Its mainly automatic these days - either computer controlled or by first use tank pumps having a higher output pressure than later use tanks. However, with the normal amount of backups and redundancy the pilots can override or manually control things. In general the designers try to design out manual input errors for everyday operation.
Jagboi likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:22 am

Are some/all of the BA LHR (premium) ground team being asked to re-apply for their jobs?

Just wondering after a very, very odd and unwanted conversation with a CCR lounge agent - she was droning on about change in BA, and the fact that her and her colleagues would have to re-apply for their roles. I was handed a small card with a link to fill out some questionnaire about service, I guess as evidence building to attempt to fight any HR policy changes.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Are some/all of the BA LHR (premium) ground team being asked to re-apply for their jobs?
Long serving ground agents - a very high percentage have ended up in the Premium Team - are being asked to sign new contracts, or take Voluntary Severance. The new terms I think give the same money [?] but there is an increase in working hours which many aren't happy with. So unfortunately some very familiar faces will be leaving in September.

Most agents are on this new contract already.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
BA really know how to reward loyalty!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
BA really know how to reward loyalty!
Aren't you at LHR waiving your Union Flag today?!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Long serving ground agents - a very high percentage have ended up in the Premium Team - are being asked to sign new contracts, or take Voluntary Severance. The new terms I think give the same money [?] but there is an increase in working hours which many aren't happy with. So unfortunately some very familiar faces will be leaving in September.

Most agents are on this new contract already.
Thanks C-W-S for the additional detail. My suspicions proved correct, and thankfully my feedback provided in the survey was negative, since as a passenger I have no interest in grievances between employee and employer.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Aren't you at LHR waiving your Union Flag today?!
Absolutely not!
mikeyfly and argonath like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
To work in First do you have to work your way up through the cabins i.e. WT, WT+ and CW with training completed at each stage along the way, or do you do the whole lot in one go and put where the CSM/CSD tells you on each flight?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Each fleet is different, on WW the crew would have flown at least 10 years on MF there used to be trained from day one but I think they have to do complete a short period in in each cabin before moving forward.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
We all experience wonderful crew in the premium cabins on the vast majority of flights. However, there are occasions when the service is below that expected, either through poor performance of the crew or unrealistic expectations from the passenger.

My question is what would a CSM / CSD do if an individual passenger requested a visit to complain about poor service or behaviour and is there a way this is logged so habitual offenders can be retrained or otherwise? Apart from experience, is it obvious when a passenger is being unrealistic? In other words, everyone has a bad day and this can be forgiven, but is there a system by which the ones who routinely cannot be bothered are dealt with more formally, and perhaps restricted to the back of the aircraft?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It really depends on the seriousness, if we feel it’s necessary we could suspend them immediately prior to investigation. We would certainly be having a discussion with them and completing a Instant Feedback Form which will be seen by their manager and if other similar complaints have been made they could be put in a disciplinary process.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by TTmex
What's the most embarrassing moment you've had on board?
I used to have a problem with my knee, following an old injury from senior school rugby...

I was working in CW to SFO and I crouched down to get a tray from the bottom of the trolly and my knee locked. I ended up laying on my back in the aisle in CW, with my shoe off, trying to get my knee to relax by wiggling my foot and relaxing my leg muscles to unlock my knee... It had happened in the past, but never at work. I was absolutely mortified... Got super hot and sweaty as I was so embarrassed at what was going on and was in pain...

Thankfully after about 90 seconds my knee fixed its self and I went and "put myself back together" in the bathroom and carried on without incident. Had a good giggle about it later with the passengers who were around me at the time after profusely apologising for delaying their starters.

Thankfully never to happen again after a small keyhole operation.

Other little things have happened, like mistaking a jewish ladies wig stand placed on an empty seat as a small child... The usual thing of calling a lady Sir etc. and the usual of spilling things on someone, namely a full glass of port on a Prem in CW.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It really depends on the seriousness, if we feel it’s necessary we could suspend them immediately prior to investigation. We would certainly be having a discussion with them and completing a Instant Feedback Form which will be seen by their manager and if other similar complaints have been made they could be put in a disciplinary process.
BA.com has a section for passengers to praise staff for good service. Where can you do the opposite?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by icegirl
BA.com has a section for passengers to praise staff for good service. Where can you do the opposite?
here https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...nts-and-claims
icegirl likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The same place.
icegirl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.