Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I can answer the second question, there are no cabin crew onboard.
Thanks Can I help you ^
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:29 am

Are BA flying any routes from BHX in summer 2019?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Is it planned long term to use automated safety demo voice (for example like Finnair) as all the shorthaul aircraft's screens are enhanced and we see more and more manual safety demonstrations? One advantage would be to be able to play key safety information in other languages, too + then the cabin crew don't have to do it. Some have seemed very nervous / unsure when reading the text.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:28 pm

Different service port/starboard

I have a question about different service depending on which side of the aircraft you are on. We flew in F for the first time in November and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were in one of the pairs of seats and Mrs Definitas received a more expanded service than I did. She was asked for her food preferences some time before me and, as a result, got her choice, whereas I didn’t. She was offered pyjamas whereas I wasn’t (it was a daytime flight) and was offered chocolates from a box after lunch and I wasn’t. None of these things made me feel like I wanted to “complain” but I wondered how much is down to individuals and how much is down to training (and departure from that training). We are flying F again at the end of the month (amex 2-4-1) and, having a bit of a sweet tooth, I might be tempted to mention the chocolates in particular. That said, I'm only a lowly blue BAEC member. Are the chocolates held for GGL members? (Lol)

Sealink and TheRealBabushka like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by PETER01
When planes get flown to Manila/Cardiff/elsewhere etc for maintenance are there specific crews for that on a rota or is it just part of being say an A380/A32X pilot etc and all pilots will at some point go there and back?

Also on the longer hauls is there a member of CC too?

Curious as always, thanks!

Pete
Just normal pilots are used for the positioning of aircraft to and from maintenance, either pre planned at the roster bidding stages (seniority based) or called off standby if things crop up in the shorter term.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Definitas
I have a question about different service depending on which side of the aircraft you are on. We flew in F for the first time in November and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were in one of the pairs of seats and Mrs Definitas received a more expanded service than I did. She was asked for her food preferences some time before me and, as a result, got her choice, whereas I didn’t. She was offered pyjamas whereas I wasn’t (it was a daytime flight) and was offered chocolates from a box after lunch and I wasn’t. None of these things made me feel like I wanted to “complain” but I wondered how much is down to individuals and how much is down to training (and departure from that training). We are flying F again at the end of the month (amex 2-4-1) and, having a bit of a sweet tooth, I might be tempted to mention the chocolates in particular. That said, I'm only a lowly blue BAEC member. Are the chocolates held for GGL members? (Lol)

Everyone should be treated the same, we are all trained to the same standards but let’s just say some care more than offers.
Never sit in your seat and feel unhappy, if you are not being treated as you expect then ask to speak to one of the senior crew onboard so that we can manage the situation.
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:10 pm

When traveling longhaul with an infant and seated at a child seat position, what's the best way to ensure we receive one of the child seats on board? I believe there are fewer carrycots and child seats than there are carrycot/child seat positions, but I could be wrong.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are more car seats and cots than bassinet positions, the only problem we sometimes have is not enough cots, I would inform the crew once seated that you need one of the car seats.
Woody12354 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
There are more car seats and cots than bassinet positions, the only problem we sometimes have is not enough cots, I would inform the crew once seated that you need one of the car seats.
Thanks for this. I must have been thinking of another airline.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Definitas
There is always a box of chocolates in the First galley (their own version on the Club Kitchen), so if you're not offered any, just head to the galley! Or ask the crew serving you for one.

Originally Posted by ChrL
I have a family member traveling next month in CW on BA from LHR to the USA. She is vegetarian and has also been diagnosed as having a gluten intolerance which does make food somewhat tricky. BA have a gluten free option, a vegetarian option but not a gluten free vegetarian option. So there isn't really a simple solution other than taking her own food.

I expect some of the vegetarian meal may happen to be gluten free and some of the gluten free meal may happen to be vegetarian. Does BA have the ingredients/allergen list for their meals (eg could we look at the VLML ingredients list to see whether there are any gluten containing ingredients)? Is this information available in advance?

Are there any other suggestions anyone has for dealing with this situation? I was wondering whether she should take a lunch box and fill it up in the lounge (if the food there is well labelled).
My best advice would be to self cater as you can never guarantee you'll get a main course that fits two separate dietary requirements. There is a "Chef's Chat" onboard which will list allergens, but this is an internal document that can't be reposted publicly, but crew can show you onboard. If your family member isn't too fussy, I would say order the gluten free, and don't eat the meat (IIRC it's often a chicken breast or fish fillet?). If they can't eat anything that's touched meat, at least they'll have the starter (often veggie)/salad/dessert thats GF. The veggie option is invariably pasta, so not gluten free.

You're not supposed to remove food from the lounge, but I imagine if you explained to the lounge staff what you were doing, they would probably let you fill a lunchbox. Just make sure you don't bring fresh food into the USA undeclared!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by marcosscriven
From a passenger perspective, it feels like some crews are friendlier than others. ... If so, do you have any theories as to why?
Cabin crew are people. Some are friendlier than others.
Sealink and spaninan like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:37 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Chocolates! Never seen or been offered any in F. If only on request what else are we missing and should ask for?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Are CC ever trained in any aspects of flight deck (eg how to work radios and other such tasks) in the event of one of Skipper or FO being incapacitated? Or is the expectation at that point always that the remaining member of the flight crew immediately diverts to nearest viable alternate and handles all the cockpit workload his / herself?

Just curious...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We would take instructions from the pilot in control and are expected to do such things as reading out check lists.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
How often do you experience turbulence that is so bad you are crapping it, too, but are having to smile and tell passengers to relax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.