FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

Can I help you Jul 2, 2019 1:16 pm

If you a get a few you might get nominated by your manager and get a £50 Amazon voucher, personally I do not hand them in, some crew would kill for them, sad!

Heathrow Tower Jul 2, 2019 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain (Post 31262108)
One for the pilots/flight planners. How does the final flight plan that is filed with UK ATC get to all the area control centres on route? For example, say LHR-SIN, how does each ACC know what the plan is? I can’t imagine it’s individually submitted to every single FIR the flight is due to pass though.

If I’m not mistake, Russia charges a hefty fee to flyover Siberia and China only allows commercial flights on a number of the very limited airways. So does each FIR have to approve the route before it’s accepted?

Within participating states (basically all of Europe, including Iceland) there is something known as IFPS, the Integrated Flight Plan Processing System. Any flight that routes in this airspace only needs to be sent to this one addressee, and IFPS will disseminate it to the appropriate ACCs.

So for the portion of an LHR-SIN flight that is inside the IFPS zone, that’s simple, but yes, for the portion outside the IFPS zone, it needs to be addressed to individual ACCs (or more accurately FIRs - Flight Information Regions, some FIRs might have more than one ACC within it, but the ANSP is responsible for ensuring the dissemination within FIRs).

I’m no expert, so imagine some areas/states might have similar arrangements to IFPS (Australia I think?), where one address is used for a flight plan processing system and that system then further cascades the flight plan out as appropriate.

flatlander Jul 16, 2019 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 31191076)
The Reds will formate on the Jumbo, they have the skills,the practice and the aircraft with the agility to do it. The jumbo will probably be hand flown or use very basic autopilot inputs. The Jumbo must not do any unannounced or unpredictable manoeuvres so turn entry needs to be smooth and gentle not sudden or initiated without due warning. This is most easily achieved by hand flying. There may well be a member of the Reds on the Jumbo flight deck to co-ordinate and " lead" the formation, I'm not certain of that though. There will be meetings and liaison between the pilots flying the Jumbo and the Reds, and the BA pilots are likely to be ex military themselves so not unfamiliar with the procedures and skills required

There's a Q&A with the Commander here: https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/vi...s-flypast-crew
with a few more details for the public. Four pilots are listed (and named) including two safety pilots, and Flight Technical Manager on-board to manage the cameras. No word on manual flying.

nancypants Jul 20, 2019 3:41 am

After discussion with uncle T I am posting here

as some of you may or may not know, I hail from Australia, land of CTAFs, uncontrolled airspace and not that many control towers

currently in the Scottish islands and surprised to find places such as benbecula, barra etc have ATC Towers (haven’t made it to westray airport yet but I suspect they do not)

in australia I doubt any of these places would- smallest I can think of with a tower is Albury (possibly due to a large amount of flight school traffic), Ayers Rock is uncontrolled, places like Horn Island and certain fields on the Tiwis that can exceed 50 movements per hour (I believe) at peak times also uncontrolled

so the question is, what’s the deal? Does the UK have uncontrolled airspace/uncontrolled fields at all, or are the limits just different or...what’s going on?!

furthermore. If you are an ATCO in say Barra, are you expected to multi role? Or is it a part time job? (i’d imagine they’d need at least 2 controllers but obviously don’t know this, could be some kind of fly in arrangement maybe?). And if it’s a multi role thing, what on earth does an ATCO do the rest of their time?

so many questions for a confused Australian!

(also what’s all this about a bear obsession?!)

rapidex Jul 20, 2019 4:18 am

The ATCO's play an absolutely vital role, such as making sure there is fresh tea in the pot for the next landing aircraft.

nancypants Jul 20, 2019 4:23 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 31323202)
The ATCO's play an absolutely vital role, such as making sure there is fresh tea in the pot for the next landing aircraft.

trying to think of an acronym for ATCO. Always tea/coffee on?!

JAtko Jul 20, 2019 8:59 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31323163)
so the question is, what’s the deal? Does the UK have uncontrolled airspace/uncontrolled fields at all, or are the limits just different or...what’s going on?!

The UK has lots of Uncontrolled Airspace:
- Anything above FL195 (19,500ft) is Class C Controlled Airspace (with a couple of weird exceptions)
- Below 19,500ft, inside Airways and anywhere near major airports it's Class A/D Controlled Airspace, everywhere else it's Uncontrolled

The vast majority of UK airports that have commercial service will be controlled (i.e. staffed by an ATCO), even ones that are outside Controlled Airspace (e.g. Exeter, Newquay, Farnborough, Humberside). At Barra and Benbecula (as with lots of small airfields) they have a tower but the people inside aren't controllers, they're Flight Information Officers. In the US/Australia e.t.c. their uncontrolled airports have no-one at all there, which we have here for really small airfields/airstrips, I don't believe anything commercial here flies into any uncontrolled airfields.

We have far less uncontrolled airspace here than Australia as there's an awful lot of commercial aircraft to fit into not a very big country!! :)

T8191 Jul 20, 2019 10:39 am

The upcoming development is ‘remoted ATC’, with operations being controlled at another location. ISTR trials are being conducted for London City to be controlled from London Centre down at Swanwick in Hampshire, using a battery of video cameras. And the RAF is also considering a similar ‘clutch airfield’ arrangement at some locations.

I believe such ‘remote control’ is used in Oz and the US already.

T8191 Jul 20, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31323211)

trying to think of an acronym for ATCO. Always tea/coffee on?!

A Truly Charming Operator always worked for me. ;)

But within UK Mil generally known as The Flying Prevention Branch. :D

MADPhil Jul 20, 2019 11:09 am

Originally Posted by JAtko (Post 31323815)
The vast majority of UK airports that have commercial service will be controlled (i.e. staffed by an ATCO), even ones that are outside Controlled Airspace (e.g. Exeter, Newquay, Farnborough, Humberside). At Barra and Benbecula (as with lots of small airfields) they have a tower but the people inside aren't controllers, they're Flight Information Officers.

Glad to hear it as I should be flying into Newquay on Tuesday :)

nancypants Jul 20, 2019 11:31 am

Not sure about remote control in Oz, not that i’ve heard of although haven’t conducted an exhaustive survey 🤔

eta hmm apparently it was trialled in 2012 at my/our home airport (YBAS/ASP/Alice springs). Obviously went well as tower is fully staffed as before

TraumaDoc Jul 20, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31324083)
The upcoming development is ‘remoted ATC’, with operations being controlled at another location. ISTR trials are being conducted for London City to be controlled from London Centre down at Swanwick in Hampshire, using a battery of video cameras. And the RAF is also considering a similar ‘clutch airfield’ arrangement at some locations.

I believe such ‘remote control’ is used in Oz and the US already.

And of course being 'pioneered' in GB by your/our home airport!

https://www.atc-network.com/atc-news...wer-technology

T8191 Jul 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Only a standby facility of course, although no less valid for that.

In the RAF we had alternate ATC facilities on our major airfields for wartime use in case the primary facility was knocked out. They were, and undoubtedly still are, exercised regularly. I could tell some funny tales on that subject, but too much of a thread diversion.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by JAtko (Post 31323815)
We have far less uncontrolled airspace here than Australia as there's an awful lot of commercial aircraft to fit into not a very big country!! :)

Let me welcome you to Flyertalk and also to the BA board JAtko. And thank you also for the interesting background that you have given us in your first post. I know that one of the Barra Flight Information Officers is also a farmer / crofter with quite a few agricultural sidelines thanks to his large polytunnel, so I imagine a rather different way of life to those working in the Heathrow Tower. I hope we will hear more from you in the future.

Ancient Observer Jul 20, 2019 4:23 pm

The RAF and various little "commercial" airlines are constantly arguing about which airspace is/isn't/should be/shouldn't be Controlled. Not enough air up there causes a lot of hot air down here.

nancypants Jul 20, 2019 4:26 pm

The RAAF cause their own problems. Especially when the new hire ATCOs have to practice holding patterns 😉

Globaliser Jul 22, 2019 4:40 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31323163)
as some of you may or may not know, I hail from Australia, land of CTAFs, uncontrolled airspace and not that many control towers

currently in the Scottish islands and surprised to find places such as benbecula, barra etc have ATC Towers (haven’t made it to westray airport yet but I suspect they do not)

in australia I doubt any of these places would- smallest I can think of with a tower is Albury (possibly due to a large amount of flight school traffic), Ayers Rock is uncontrolled, places like Horn Island and certain fields on the Tiwis that can exceed 50 movements per hour (I believe) at peak times also uncontrolled

A long time ago, in a previous incarnation of this thread, I asked a BA-focused question on a similar topic and got an insightful answer from Waterhorse (although of course BA has codeshared with airlines that do operate to these remote UK airports and could possibly codeshare to similar non-UK airports):-

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 21843325)
Reading yet another Australian report of a loss of separation involving an airliner operating at an airport with no air traffic control, I wondered about this:

Does BA operate to any airports where there is no air traffic control for the airfield, or at times when there is no ATC there?

Has BA ever done so? What would BA's likely attitude be to the withdrawal of ATC from an airfield? Would BA be prepared to continue to operate there?

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 21845089)
I can't comment on all destinations but I would be very surprised if BA operates to any uncontrolled airports. If they can't afford ATC I doubt they could afford the fire cover, or other services required to allow operations of the size that BA operate. It is possible that some codes her partners may operate to such airfields. I do not claim to be an expert in this but having flown long and short haul for BA from both LHR and LGW I have not come across such an airfield on the network nor heard of any such.

If ATC were withdrawn from an airfield I doubt we would continue to operate there. All such decisions would be made on a safety basis and that would likely cause it to be rejected as an airfield.

nancypants Jul 22, 2019 6:58 am

Most interesting. I believe all airfields in Australia receiving jet service have to have some kind of professional aviation fire capability (when I worked on Groote Eylandt the mine had to shut down when the charters were due in as the fire trucks and ambulance had to head down to the airfield to provide cover)

haven’t paid close attention to YAYE but can’t imagine they wouldn’t have something similar in place also

the loss of separation incidents do continue to occur periodically though. I suspect a lot of that is the large number of general aviation planes operating into the smaller fields. The amount of traffic is just phenomenal (Horn island the largest thing that lands is a Q400, the tiwis would be king airs max. 50 movements an hour...)

alpha320 Jul 22, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by BoeBus (Post 31233800)
A few questions about single engine taxi please:

When do you [decide to] start the second engine?
Do you keep the APU running and use it’s bleed air to start the second engine or is it the first engine’s job?
When taxying on one engine do you have to compensate when turning for the asymmetric thrust or is this automatically done?

Thanks for satisfying my geeky curiosity!

We have to consider the aircraft's weight (will we get stuck if we only start one engine? is the taxiway flat?), expected taxi time, taxi routing (we need a stretch of straight taxiway to start) and the aircraft's technical status (some faults mean we have no option but to use two engines for taxi - for example if the APU is broken and we need to use an engine to provide air for second engine start). Generally we have to make our own judgement of out position in the departure queue and start the engine at a time that allows for us to complete the procedure from a checklist, let the engine warm up (up to 5 mins after start on the 320) and complete the before takeoff checklist. If we do opt for a single engine taxi, our initial after start flow is slightly different, in that we leave the APU running. When we go to start the second engine we turn the APU bleed on. There is a noticeable input on the steering tiller when operating single engine to keep the airplane straight yes!

BoeBus Jul 22, 2019 12:53 pm

That’s all fascinating, thanks Alpha!

alex67500 Jul 22, 2019 1:02 pm

I have a question regarding BA at AMS. Why is it that they always have to land so far that it takes 15 minutes to taxi? Is it a matter of paying more to get the runways closer to the terminal? It's bad enough that we have to walk the whole length of concourse D every time...

KARFA Jul 22, 2019 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 31330484)
I have a question regarding BA at AMS. Why is it that they always have to land so far that it takes 15 minutes to taxi? Is it a matter of paying more to get the runways closer to the terminal? It's bad enough that we have to walk the whole length of concourse D every time...

it’s dictated by the airport. There are some local agreements to do with noise about which runways can be used I understand. It certainly isn’t just ba who use that runway, typically traffic coming in from the west from the Uk will use that runway if used for landing or take off from it if used for departures.

the only good point is when landing on 18R with the long taxi in, the departure is usually from runway 24 which is right next to the D gates which ba use.

RR18wheeler Jul 22, 2019 3:59 pm

As KARFA mentioned it is all planned by the airport and the general rule is if you come from the North and they are landing in a Southerly direction, you get the long taxi. Conversely if landing Northerly, you get the very short taxi. It all evens out in the end as mentioned with the departure. There is nothing to do with cost. With regards the reason for the end of concorse D, that is due to being non-Schengen and in the European Union. All the non-European arriving passengers are not allowed to mix with departures, and use a separate overhead arrivals channel. This area of D gates doesn’t have it, and is locally known as ‘little britain’ as it is where all the UK arrivals happen, as well as ROI and a few other non-schengen EU. EasyJet uses the low-cost pens, be careful what you wish for! The 767 used to get a special gate, as it doesn’t fit on the ones at the end.

South London Bon Viveur Jul 22, 2019 4:25 pm

Ah the infamous Polder runway. Closer to Haarlem than Amsterdam. It is a pain in the arse and frequently used when I fly in from London, but I also use KLM and they are equally susceptible. I doubt very much whether any one airline is more likely to be assigned it than any other airline.

alex67500 Jul 22, 2019 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by RR18wheeler (Post 31331158)

As KARFA mentioned it is all planned by the airport and the general rule is if you come from the North and they are landing in a Southerly direction, you get the long taxi. Conversely if landing Northerly, you get the very short taxi. It all evens out in the end as mentioned with the departure. There is nothing to do with cost. With regards the reason for the end of concorse D, that is due to being non-Schengen and in the European Union. All the non-European arriving passengers are not allowed to mix with departures, and use a separate overhead arrivals channel. This area of D gates doesn’t have it, and is locally known as ‘little britain’ as it is where all the UK arrivals happen, as well as ROI and a few other non-schengen EU. EasyJet uses the low-cost pens, be careful what you wish for! The 767 used to get a special gate, as it doesn’t fit on the ones at the end.

Thanks but then I don't get asked for my passport until right before baggage claim, so I'm guessing D1 would also do? We get dropped right back into departures which is why it makes it so easy to use for B2B.

(Anyway, the rant was about the taxi, I thought there would be something Schengen related for the gates, but thanks for the insight! )

flatlander Jul 23, 2019 2:08 am

The lower numbered D gates at AMS are suitable for wide-body aircraft and so are used mostly for them, such as USA flights. You could handle a BA aircraft from the UK at any of D, E, F, or G piers but the low D, E, F and G piers are used for either widebody aircraft or those from security un-trusted places (having the overhead passage to transit security and arrivals) or both. Hence BA gets the least versatile non-Schengen gates - the high-numbered D gates.

kanderson1965 Jul 23, 2019 3:57 am

I once had an announcement on a KLM flight from AMS back to Humberside that we would shortly be taxiing to Humberside airport, but we may have to hop across a short stretch of water in the process.

Scott Pilgrim Jul 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Regarding a few posts above, around the Highlands and Islands Loganair operate into airports with no air traffic service of any type but with fire cover appropriate to the aircraft. Quite fancy going up and doing a few of them sometime just for fun.

nancypants Jul 23, 2019 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim (Post 31334534)
Regarding a few posts above, around the Highlands and Islands Loganair operate into airports with no air traffic service of any type but with fire cover appropriate to the aircraft. Quite fancy going up and doing a few of them sometime just for fun.

after my last week I will offer up the following advice. Build large amounts of padding into your schedules and prepare for many of the flights not to operate at all. I managed the take off from Barra beach runway but not a landing, and the Orkney inter-islander service didn’t happen at all. They were willing to rebook me to the next day but I just didn’t have the capacity for it, especially with HIAL ATC strikers shutting down Kirkwall airport the day after I left

alex67500 Jul 29, 2019 1:48 am

Well, this morning was better, shortest taxi ever at AMS. They hardly had time to finish the security briefing. But my luck stopped there, aircraft change from E190 to E170, so my emergency exit seat disappeared (but they're not too bad, especially for 45mns), and we parked at a domestic gate at LCY so we had to cram on a bus for 200 yards

You win some, you lose some :D

golfmad Jul 29, 2019 8:33 am

I have a question related to loadings and a discrepancy between EF loading values and actuals on board.

My flight last night from ATL (BA226) was reasonably quiet. There were only 5 of us in the 14F cabin and apparently lots of empty seats down the back. Prior to the flight ExpertFlyer showed the flight as completely zeroed out. A couple of days ago it had F1 A0. Are there other factors that might lead to the airline not wishing to sell any more tickets even though there's considerable space available? This might account for the 0s in the fare classes. I had a quick word with the captain last night who said it wasn't a cargo issue on this flight. He didn't know why the airline would restrict sales. Any clues anyone?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...eceb2d03b0.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8951314c90.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...27042c82d4.png

Wendyp247 Jul 29, 2019 1:13 pm

British Airways Pilot strike

As an insider what do you think will happen with the BA pilot strike. I have a flight from Orlando to London on August 14, any chance the flight wills till be going? If I don't make it, would I be rebooked with AA?

Can I help you Jul 29, 2019 1:16 pm

There will be more news tomorrow.

13901 Jul 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 31354440)
I have a question related to loadings and a discrepancy between EF loading values and actuals on board.

My flight last night from ATL (BA226) was reasonably quiet. There were only 5 of us in the 14F cabin and apparently lots of empty seats down the back. Prior to the flight ExpertFlyer showed the flight as completely zeroed out. A couple of days ago it had F1 A0. Are there other factors that might lead to the airline not wishing to sell any more tickets even though there's considerable space available? This might account for the 0s in the fare classes. I had a quick word with the captain last night who said it wasn't a cargo issue on this flight. He didn't know why the airline would restrict sales. Any clues anyone?

I can't comment on your ATL case, but I remember once, a few years ago, one of my staff travel nominees was flying back from Sao Paulo, back when the 747 still plied the route. I checked on Winbabs (ah, those were the days!) and the flight was wide open. Brazil had just plunged into recession, no one was flying, it looked good for her to have a 'DIY lie-flat' on a row of 4 seats. This was 3 days out.

Then the day prior to the flight I checked again and it'd gone to zero in almost every class. Then it went to full zero. Turned out that AF had gone on strike and had taken the entire inventory on that flight to accommodate its own passengers stranded when their 77W was cancelled. Perhaps something like this might've happened? There was risk of a cancellation, or something along those lines, and space was being 'reserved' on the flight in case it really hit the fan.

londonclubguy Jul 31, 2019 9:28 am

Appreciate for security concerns this is a difficult one to answer. But...... cameras in short haul plane toilets - yes or no?!?!

Can I help you Jul 31, 2019 9:54 am

There are no cameras in any toilets.

BOH Aug 4, 2019 2:15 am

Originally Posted by londonclubguy (Post 31363158)
Appreciate for security concerns this is a difficult one to answer. But...... cameras in short haul plane toilets - yes or no?!?!

What a very peculiar and bizarre question to ask. What on earth posessed you to even think this may remotely be the case FFS???? :confused:

T8191 Aug 4, 2019 6:01 am

Selfies are very popular these days. ;)

fulan_flyer Aug 9, 2019 2:49 pm

Dear BA Staff.

I work for another airline, and I'm weighing my options for getting on the SCL - LHR BA250 (Sept).. I will be flying Staff Travel / Stand by, and was wondering how hard would it be to get a jump seat (if worse comes to worst) I think I could just about handle the hours,

The problem is that the SCL BA counter is handled by an external company so hard to get any info from them, would it just be a case of buying the standby ticket and asking the Captain if I see him entering the airport? or is there a procedure?

Many thanks!!

S.

BlueRedGreen Aug 9, 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by fulan_flyer (Post 31398690)
Dear BA Staff.

I work for another airline, and I'm weighing my options for getting on the SCL - LHR BA250 (Sept).. I will be flying Staff Travel / Stand by, and was wondering how hard would it be to get a jump seat (if worse comes to worst) I think I could just about handle the hours,

The problem is that the SCL BA counter is handled by an external company so hard to get any info from them, would it just be a case of buying the standby ticket and asking the Captain if I see him entering the airport? or is there a procedure?

Many thanks!!

S.

The BA250 is not usually 100% around that time from my experience. Shouldnt be a huge issue to stand by on it I would assume from my historical experience flying it (Once or twice a month for quite some time).