Ask the staffer

Old Mar 14, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Which aircraft (and decks, if A380) still have the "four corners" service style in WT, where trolleys start at the front and back of each aisle and meet in the middle?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
Which aircraft (and decks, if A380) still have the "four corners" service style in WT, where trolleys start at the front and back of each aisle and meet in the middle?
The A350 and the 777s use a four corner style service. For the larger 777 cabins, sometimes we do the ‘front’ cabin and then the ‘back’ cabin.
The 787 requires 2 to a double trolley so it’s just front to back. The same applies on the A380.
WTP is always front to back.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Is it just my bad luck, catching the 'wrong' airframes of have the drop-down TV screens disappeared from all A320s? I miss the flight map.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by onaswan
Is it just my bad luck, catching the 'wrong' airframes of have the drop-down TV screens disappeared from all A320s? I miss the flight map.
They're gone. There might be a few old 319s that still have them but they're not in use anymore.

It's a shame that the WiFi portal doesn't have a flight map on it - that would basically replace it.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by sigma421
It's a shame that the WiFi portal doesn't have a flight map on it - that would basically replace it.
That is a great call that would cost virtually nothing. But it is an IT fix, albeit software. We all know how fickle BA's IT infrastructure is so I imagine this is so far down the priority list it will not be in our lifetime.
sigma421 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
That is a great call that would cost virtually nothing. But it is an IT fix, albeit software. We all know how fickle BA's IT infrastructure is so I imagine this is so far down the priority list it will not be in our lifetime.
Despite having a BA logo on the homepage, onboard wifi is entirely an IAG function. A map still be a nice addition though - don’t some airlines team up with FR24 for it?
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by MFCC
The A350 and the 777s use a four corner style service....
Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Confus
Despite having a BA logo on the homepage, onboard wifi is entirely an IAG function. A map still be a nice addition though - don’t some airlines team up with FR24 for it?
[shameless plug] Alaska Airlines uses FlightAware. [/shameless plug]
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
CE min/max staffing

Evening all. Travelling later this month down to RAK on what appears to be a very busy CE cabin, with 14 rows allocated.

Made me wonder how many crew will be allocated to CE, and what the thresholds are? I’m assuming if the cabin is very quiet then it’s only one, how many does it go up to?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
Evening all. Travelling later this month down to RAK on what appears to be a very busy CE cabin, with 14 rows allocated.

Made me wonder how many crew will be allocated to CE, and what the thresholds are? I’m assuming if the cabin is very quiet then it’s only one, how many does it go up to?
There’s a matrix. It essentially depends on the number of seats occupied and the aircraft type as well as the flight length. RAK is a Band 4. Assuming you’re on an A321, with every seat occupied then there will be (at least) 6 crew on the aircraft. The IFM/L will decide how best to spread them around the aircraft. If it were me I’d have 4 at the front and 2 at the back on this config during the service, and release one to the back afterwards.
If you were on an A320, you’d only get 5 crew.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by MFCC
There’s a matrix. It essentially depends on the number of seats occupied and the aircraft type as well as the flight length. RAK is a Band 4. Assuming you’re on an A321, with every seat occupied then there will be (at least) 6 crew on the aircraft. The IFM/L will decide how best to spread them around the aircraft. If it were me I’d have 4 at the front and 2 at the back on this config during the service, and release one to the back afterwards.
If you were on an A320, you’d only get 5 crew.
Thank you, MFCC. That’s both insightful and reassuring; it is slotted for an A321 and 4 crew up front sounds like a decent number. Out of interest, what’s the max crew on that type?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There are 8 cabin crew seats but BA could put more on if they wanted to use passenger seats.
ENTP likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
The other day I entered the B lounge and upon scanning my BP to enter the agent advised the flight was currently showing as leaving ten minutes early. There was still about an hour before the departure.

How can BA know a flight will be leaving early so far in advance? Once every had boarded I understand, but an hour before? It was BA275 to LAS if it matters.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Some flights can be planned as operating early, these tend to be the ones with poor on time performance.
Jimmie76 and stevebintley like this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 5:17 pm

It’s called an ASO flight. Adjusted scheduled off-blocks. It is primarily to get the resources in place earlier than the minimum engagement times which could cause a delay. The departure time is brought forwards by 5minutes on short-haul and 10minutes on long haul around 1-2 hours out. This is an internal process to reduce a delay or risk in that days schedule and nothing to cause concern or worry to passengers travelling. It’s not like those US airline videos you see where planes literally leave early while there are still passengers missing!

The lounge agent probably only mentioned it as where there is a time change/delay to the flight it appears in bold red on the Fly screen. They were probably expecting to inform you of a delay rather than an early departure!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.