Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by BOH
This is more out of curiosity. Was idly looking out if a window at LCY this afternoon at a deserted apron and noticed the aircraft type markings on the tarmac showed the nosewheel parking position for an A319 and A320 type. But the A319 and A320 are not certified for LCY and not ever likely to be - my understanding is they just cannot operate with any sort of decent payload or range so no airline would even try and get them certified.

So wondering why the apron for each gate has them marked out?
I can understand they’d use those markings as the 318 has the same wing iirc and so more or less the same stand footprint which is part of how the location of the markings is determined.

Are you sure it wasn’t A220 that you might have observed?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 7:48 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sigwx
I can understand they’d use those markings as the 318 has the same wing iirc and so more or less the same stand footprint which is part of how the location of the markings is determined.

Are you sure it wasn’t A220 that you might have observed?
I thought that but definitely not, the A220 had it's own marking in a different place on the "tree" of markings (if you know what I mean).
Sigwx likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
How does FLY work when running boarding? I ask because I was on yesterday’s 1446 to Edinburgh which was accidentally closed before boarding began causing it to disappear from the screens and a little bit of panic from me. I have a vision of a computer freezing, a staff member hitting enter multiple times in frustration and the machine springing back to life and running the whole sequence. Is it that easy to close a flight?
Old Nov 30, 2022, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by BOH
I thought that but definitely not, the A220 had it's own marking in a different place on the "tree" of markings (if you know what I mean).
In that case I haven’t the foggiest I’m afraid, can only suggest it might have something to do with the Airbus Corporate Jet family if they are certified for 5.5 degree approaches. On that though I have no idea.
BA or bust and BOH like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:10 am

At one point circa 2018 there were half-serious rumours of a plan to certify the A319neo for LCY -- certainly the chat at the time was that the new stands to the east of 21 (the new build) were to be sized for A319 and CS-300, and BACF were apparently eyeing up the E290, CS-100 and A319neo (subject to scope clause amendments).
alex67500 and SxMan like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:12 am

We (my wife, our four-year-old son, and me) are traveling ORD-LHR in Basic Economy on Wednesday the 7th. Prior to this morning, we had not purchased seats. This morning, I saw that seats had been assigned to us for free, but it looks like I can't change them for free, or even rearrange who's sitting in which seat in our block of three. Is this typical (being assigned seats for free six days before departure), and if so, is it because we're traveling with a minor?

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Is this typical (being assigned seats for free six days before departure), and if so, is it because we're traveling with a minor?
Yes. And while you can't rearrange within your block of three on the seat map, you can of course do so onboard.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Not very BA specific, but Heathrow Tower , I see that taxiway Echo (I think that is what it is called) between T2 and T2B is finally open! Would assume that will free up some taxi space around the eastern end of the airport as planes no longer have to go around the long way!

Pilot37
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Interesting one today - BA173 from LHR to JFK is being operated by G-YMMG which is a 3-class aircraft. Apart from the special BA1 flight last November to celebrate the U.S. reopening, I don't think I have ever seen LHR-JFK flights on BA without F service.
Looking at EF it appears to be a one-off, but any staff on here able to shed some light on why such a flight was operated?

Pilot37
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Not very BA specific, but Heathrow Tower , I see that taxiway Echo (I think that is what it is called) between T2 and T2B is finally open! Would assume that will free up some taxi space around the eastern end of the airport as planes no longer have to go around the long way!

Pilot37
Taxiway Kilo is indeed open (Echo is between T3 and T5).

Gives us a few more options yes, but it wasn’t simple, as the previous arrangements were that the south facing cut-de-sac belonged to one Ground controller, and the north facing cul-de-sac another. We had to decide who the whole new taxilane belonged to, which was quite a bit of work including simulation and moving the boundaries of those areas of responsibilities.
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Interesting one today - BA173 from LHR to JFK is being operated by G-YMMG which is a 3-class aircraft. Apart from the special BA1 flight last November to celebrate the U.S. reopening, I don't think I have ever seen LHR-JFK flights on BA without F service.
Looking at EF it appears to be a one-off, but any staff on here able to shed some light on why such a flight was operated?

Pilot37
This aircraft changed from a 77M with First to a 77L without First about 2 weeks ago. I assume they were just short of 77M aircraft and did a one time swap.
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Very quick question for any cabin crew, are passengers allowed to board with hot drinks now?
Old Dec 10, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Hot drinks have to be disposed of before coach boardings only.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Very quick question for any cabin crew, are passengers allowed to board with hot drinks now?
You’ve been able to take hot drinks onboard with you forever. As CIHY says, it’s only on airport buses that they’re not allowed.
flygirl68 and lcylocal like this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Confus
You’ve been able to take hot drinks onboard with you forever. As CIHY says, it’s only on airport buses that they’re not allowed.
Thanks. I’ve definitely been asked to finish mine at the gate. But may not have been BA or may have been a bus gate. It’s so long ago that I can’t remember any of the details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.