Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Unless it’s changed in the last few days it’s Antonín Dvořák’s Serenade for Strings op22
Fantastic, thank you Tobias-UK. It was driving me a bit nuts, as I knew it but couldn’t recall who it was!
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Question for any lovely ATC on here………that T-Mobile advert where they land the plane!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XMsISVWz-w&t=60s
How much bandwidth does the radar/position data actually need? I ask because I can see quite a bit of data on say ADS-B Exchange and whilst not ATC quality it’s not using a massive amount of my data. I can’t imagine the audio connection took a massive amount either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nI5NyDY8c0
What other electronic information do you use and does it require very high bandwidth? The (assuming it was HD or higher) video feed might have done so but I can’t imagine the rest really pushed EE fibre to the limit as that’s 900mb/s.

Can’t imagine anyone working from home to land a BA A380 at LHR.
Sorry, just seen this.
I am not an engineer, but I imagine the bandwidth required to pipe radar track data through is pretty small in today's world. The resilience and redundancy of the links are the tricky parts.

In terms of visuals, the digital tower lab at the base of the LHR tower has access to 18x4K cameras. Which I would guess at requiring a far fatter pipe than any radar feed.

But it all depnds on what you want to do.

At RAF Fairford I can sit in the tower which has no radar screen, and (if the ILS was a higher category) clear someone to land on it without ever seeing the runway or the aircraft, visually or electronically, so no different to me sitting in a broom cupboard in a cottage somewhere with a handheld radio. What I wouldn't be able to do would be to keep that up at 4nm spacing in 250m visbility like we can at LHR.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 12:11 pm

As per my post in another thread just now, I stretched my legs for an hour or so walking between T5 A, B, and C earlier this afternoon via the departing passenger walkways.

Something that struck me was that the passageways are not straight. Aside from slight angles between A and B, there is a particular chicane in the passageway between B and C, as well as a slight incline on this section (in that direction) - pics below.

I’m curious what prevented the tunnel being dug straight in this section?

Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Sorry, just seen this.
I am not an engineer, but I imagine the bandwidth required to pipe radar track data through is pretty small in today's world. The resilience and redundancy of the links are the tricky parts.

In terms of visuals, the digital tower lab at the base of the LHR tower has access to 18x4K cameras. Which I would guess at requiring a far fatter pipe than any radar feed.

But it all depnds on what you want to do.

At RAF Fairford I can sit in the tower which has no radar screen, and (if the ILS was a higher category) clear someone to land on it without ever seeing the runway or the aircraft, visually or electronically, so no different to me sitting in a broom cupboard in a cottage somewhere with a handheld radio. What I wouldn't be able to do would be to keep that up at 4nm spacing in 250m visbility like we can at LHR.
Thank you for the detailed explanation I thought it might be the video feed but wanted to check I wasn’t missing anything else. Have a great weekend.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
World tracer: BA vs IB functionality

I had reason to use the World Tracer interface for Iberia recently, which contained minimal fields for info such as name, flight, bag tag #, etc.
The BA interface, via ba.com, is more developed and allowed me to describe luggage and other identifying elements (combo or TSA lock, color, material, etc) even when using the Iberia World Tracer ref number for the missing bag.
So my question is…
Does the additional information on the BA interface actually populate the World Tracer database (and so visible or of use to Iberia/baggage handler), or is it solely for use by BA?
Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Brown
Originally Posted by squawk
Fantastic, thank you Tobias-UK. It was driving me a bit nuts, as I knew it but couldn’t recall who it was!
Just boarded BA4455 - it’s still Flower Duet on BACF by the sound of things.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by BorisBrownBear
Just boarded BA4455 - it’s still Flower Duet on BACF by the sound of things.
They have both from memory.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Engine start at gate, G-STBF BA107 BA106 15/7

I was on G-STBF from DXB this morning and the captain announced he was starting one engine at the gate before pushback. This I assume from a Google search is because the APU was partly/totally broken and would not provide power or bleed air. As the plane was delayed nearly 4 hours into Dubai (expertflyer says delay Z0' I assume it broke in London with delay in departure caused while they tried to sort it out. Can anyone comment with more information please?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
I was on G-STBF from DXB this morning and the captain announced he was starting one engine at the gate before pushback. This I assume from a Google search is because the APU was partly/totally broken and would not provide power or bleed air. As the plane was delayed nearly 4 hours into Dubai (expertflyer says delay Z0' I assume it broke in London with delay in departure caused while they tried to sort it out. Can anyone comment with more information please?
I don’t know in this specific case but it’s unlikely. A working APU is not required on the MEL, and it’s unlikely they’d have delayed a flight 4+ hours to fix something they could easily leave without. More likely to have been something else as well.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Confus
I don’t know in this specific case but it’s unlikely. A working APU is not required on the MEL, and it’s unlikely they’d have delayed a flight 4+ hours to fix something they could easily leave without. More likely to have been something else as well.
Thanks
One of the first class toilets was broken on our flight back but I doubt this caused the delay...
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Confus
Only BA149….
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:30 am

Name incorrect on booking

Good morning, and apologies if this has been asked and answered - I did a search but no results.

I did a Chase Rewards booking online for GF and I to fly USA - UK direct and the system blended our first and middle names. Mine has come out as (aliased example) "Hon DaveJonat Smith" and GF is "JaneClair Jones". I canceled the booking immediately and called a CSR and he entered the same details with the same result.

So my question is, what do/can we do?

Flight is in just over two weeks.

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by andymoss
Good morning, and apologies if this has been asked and answered - I did a search but no results.

I did a Chase Rewards booking online for GF and I to fly USA - UK direct and the system blended our first and middle names. Mine has come out as (aliased example) "Hon DaveJonat Smith" and GF is "JaneClair Jones". I canceled the booking immediately and called a CSR and he entered the same details with the same result.

Are the names recognisably the two of you compared to your passport, even if some letters are truncated? If so, leave it, and make sure your Advance Passenger Information is up to date in BA.com/MMB

Next time, don't use your middle names when making the booking. They really aren't needed on the ticket, just in API. When they attempt to be added to the ticket, silly things like this happen.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by andymoss

Flight is in just over two weeks.

Thanks.
you can always reach out to BA on Twitter and they can sort this for you, although I doubt it would actually cause issues when you came to check in anyway.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:10 am

Names incorrect

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Are the names recognisably the two of you compared to your passport, even if some letters are truncated? If so, leave it, and make sure your Advance Passenger Information is up to date in BA.com/MMB

Next time, don't use your middle names when making the booking. They really aren't needed on the ticket, just in API. When they attempt to be added to the ticket, silly things like this happen.
To someone with a modicum of sense and having had the series of events explained, yes, particularly in GF's case. Mine is trickier as it has concatenated my first and middle names and THEN trimmed the last three characters and moved them to the front making it appear that I am the son of an aristocrat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.