FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

EJetter Jun 11, 2019 4:20 am

Originally Posted by speedbuslhr (Post 31189983)

Worldwide and Euro Fleet are all very independent. Mostly they all do their separate thing after their briefing and meet at the gate or onboard the aircraft. They do often go shopping or go the get food etc.
Mixed fleet however are much stricter. Its very rare for them to separate unless they have a long wait between flights at Heathrow. Usually they stay together all the way from Security to the gate and even after flights they stay together all the way until exiting arrivals where they can go their separate ways.
Crew usually board at -45 for SH or -60 to -50 for LH.
At outstations crew normally all stay together as its not our hub airport and every airport has different procedures. Once crew arrive at an outstation from the hotel coming back to LHR then timings are a bit more tight its usually arrive at the airport and straight to the aircraft.
I’ve seen some of the US flight attendants vlogs too and dont know how they find the time to do them.

At CityFlyer, report time is one hour before the first duty. Usually flight and cabin crew will head to the aircraft together but if one set of crew finishes their brief quickly and wants to grab something from Pret, duty free or Boots they might go on ahead. Crew should board the aircraft at least 30 minutes prior to departure. It’s all pretty slick and usually if the aircraft hasn’t been sat on the ground you’ll be boarding the incoming aircraft just as the outgoing crew are gathering their belongings. It gets pretty hectic at this moment, with cleaners, caterers and two sets of crew trying to do their thing in a small jet!

At a lot of European airports crew are driven directly from staff search to the aircraft, bypassing the terminal. At other airports the crew will generally stick together, even at the ones where transport time from the hotel is generous and allows time to pop into duty free or to grab a coffee.

Arriving back at base, LCY arrivals is so small that there’s really no opportunity to split up unless one of the crew is transferring to another duty (in which case they remain airside) or need to visit the toilet. Most turnarounds are done on the same aircraft so the crew will remain on board but where there’s an aircraft change the crew will generally set up camp at an empty gate and people will go off on their own if they need anything whilst someone watches the bags.

Waterhorse Jun 11, 2019 7:02 am

Originally Posted by alpha320 (Post 31191150)
Likely *full* use made of the autopilot - it does and will take a lot for the 747 fleet team to produce a safety case for this to go ahead. Pilots will likely be senior trainers.

I wouldn't be dogmatic about this but having done some of this sort of stuff in the past, admittedly 20 odd years ago, I very much doubt the full use of automation especially with the other aircraft in close formation. I cannot remember if the Jumbo has CWS in roll or not but that was the preferred method used, with Alt Hold as the pitch mode. This effectively prevented unexpected or unannounced turns with sharp turn commencement, a 9 ship around a big aircraft needs time and slow starts for any manoeuvre attempted, not least for the safety of the big aircraft, whose occupants do not have the Martin Baker let down system if it all goes wrong. Hand flying also mitigates against some of these things

alpha320 Jun 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 31191516)
I wouldn't be dogmatic about this but having done some of this sort of stuff in the past, admittedly 20 odd years ago, I very much doubt the full use of automation especially with the other aircraft in close formation. I cannot remember if the Jumbo has CWS in roll or not but that was the preferred method used, with Alt Hold as the pitch mode. This effectively prevented unexpected or unannounced turns with sharp turn commencement, a 9 ship around a big aircraft needs time and slow starts for any manoeuvre attempted, not least for the safety of the big aircraft, whose occupants do not have the Martin Baker let down system if it all goes wrong. Hand flying also mitigates against some of these things

This is what I meant - making use of basic modes like Hdg/Alt and not just flying around with it all switched off.

icegirl Jun 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by alpha320 (Post 31170713)
Not really. Flight and cabin crew 'bid' for the trips they want. As you can imagine, weekends off are very popular and the system is seniority based, so you won't have the best chance as a new entrant. Likewise, you can't do short-haul only, at the very least you'd need to do enough long haul trips to keep your certification current on that aircraft type.

Originally Posted by shefgab (Post 31190054)
If they know how to bid, then yes. "There and back" routes are generally not very popular with MF crew, unless you need to be home every night.

Thanks for your responses. Can you just be in that case be part time and hence not do a full 40 hours per week?

alpha320 Jun 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 31192956)
Thanks for your responses. Can you just be in that case be part time and hence not do a full 40 hours per week?

Yes, lots of crew are part time, 50 or 75% - not sure if you can do this from the outset though.

Globaliser Jun 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by speedbuslhr (Post 31189983)
Mixed fleet however are much stricter. Its very rare for them to separate unless they have a long wait between flights at Heathrow.

Originally Posted by shefgab (Post 31190054)
MF crew generally stay together as as group.

Originally Posted by alpha320 (Post 31191155)
Crew normally stick together, I think Mixed Fleet have no choice, they have to!

So is this a policy decision for MF? And are we allowed to ask what is the rationale behind it?

MFCC Jun 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31193298)
So is this a policy decision for MF? And are we allowed to ask what is the rationale behind it?

It’s just standard on MF. We’re told we have to do it so we do - not sure why! It’s just always been that way.

alpha320 Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31193298)

The same reason that mixed fleet have to wear hats and other fleets don't. Terms and conditions! You wouldn't believe the amount of agreements behind the scenes!

Flyiboy Jun 19, 2019 8:48 am

I will be traveling in FIRST on the 747 (1K) in August to JFK. Instead of receiving the male version of the amenity kit, can I ask for the female version? Do they stock them according to seats taken or do they add a few extras? To be honest I prefer the female version because they seem to be more vibrant in color and in contents from I what I saw and heard.
Thank you..

JAXBA Jun 19, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Flyiboy (Post 31218465)
Instead of receiving the male version of the amenity kit, can I ask for the female version?

Yes.

Read your signature! ;)

MFCC Jun 19, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Flyiboy (Post 31218465)
I will be traveling in FIRST on the 747 (1K) in August to JFK. Instead of receiving the male version of the amenity kit, can I ask for the female version? Do they stock them according to seats taken or do they add a few extras? To be honest I prefer the female version because they seem to be more vibrant in color and in contents from I what I saw and heard.
Thank you..

You can certainly request one. Provided we can leave enough for the return then it shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Can I help you Jun 19, 2019 8:59 am

It will depend on how many ladies ones they use on your flight, the crew won’t want to give any extra ladies bags out as the may be needed for the return flight, I would say it will most likely be possible.
Saying that I wouldn’t be seen dead with the ladies bag but to each their own. :p

Flyiboy Jun 19, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks for all the replies..

DeathSlam Jun 19, 2019 1:10 pm

Travelling JAL I seemed to get an F (class and sex) amenity kit with an M extension. 100% sure that doesn't happen on BA, but it's an interesting theory.

alex67500 Jun 21, 2019 6:06 am

A message on the Golden ticket event thread got me thinking about AED (Defibrillators) and procedure in extreme cases.

I've seen some AEDs on some BA planes, but are they standard issue on all aircraft now? Are CC all trained on them? And would first-aid trained passengers be welcome to help, or would it be best to leave CC alone in that case? (30mns of CPR was mentioned, that is EXHAUSTING, so a bit of relief might be welcome, but maybe legal liabilities come in?).

demolineux Jun 21, 2019 6:08 am

What do flight attendants think of people who are clearly flying CW for the first time? I suppose evidenced by them taking photographs and general excitement etc

milkyway88 Jun 21, 2019 6:33 am

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 31225240)
A message on the Golden ticket event thread got me thinking about AED (Defibrillators) and procedure in extreme cases.

I've seen some AEDs on some BA planes, but are they standard issue on all aircraft now? Are CC all trained on them? And would first-aid trained passengers be welcome to help, or would it be best to leave CC alone in that case? (30mns of CPR was mentioned, that is EXHAUSTING, so a bit of relief might be welcome, but maybe legal liabilities come in?).

My professional background is a paramedic, so I've had countless examples of being part of a team that's done CPR for more than 30 minutes. Firstly if people rotate (3 minutes on - at least 3 minutes off), CPR isn't especially physically exhausting (if you're doing it correctly) you are using your weight to apply most the pressure. Added to which if it your first time or you don't you will get a significant adrenaline hit.

I imagine it is emotional aspect that cabin crew would find most exhausting.

MFCC Jun 21, 2019 6:40 am

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 31225240)

AEDs are fitted to all aircraft and is checked for serviceability before each sector. Every single crew member is trained in their use and is capable of completing CPR in line with BA Resuscitation Guidelines.
In the unfortunate event we’d have to use the AED, it would be expected that’d we’d rotate around crewmembers to ensure that the compressions we’re effective and not being delivered from someone who was exhausted.
We may (or may not) request assistance from healthcare professionals, however crew involved in CPR must adhere to BA Guidelines.

volar Jun 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 31225325)

AEDs are fitted to all aircraft and is checked for serviceability before each sector. Every single crew member is trained in their use and is capable of completing CPR in line with BA Resuscitation Guidelines.
In the unfortunate event we’d have to use the AED, it would be expected that’d we’d rotate around crewmembers to ensure that the compressions we’re effective and not being delivered from someone who was exhausted.
We may (or may not) request assistance from healthcare professionals, however crew involved in CPR must adhere to BA Guidelines.

i did once, in the last year, unfortunately witness the AED being used on a flight. The crew did ask for any medics on board to help and the compressions continued throughout the diverted landing with the unfortunate passenger on the floor in the aisle throughout. Whilst clearly distressing for the crew and passengers, this one event gave me massive confidence in the ability of BA crew to handle this sort of situation and it moved me to write to BA to tell them how impressed I’d been by this crew. It really made me feel I’d be in safe hands if the same happened to me.

Lost-in-Space Jun 22, 2019 2:46 am

This one for the ATCOs:

When (if?!) the third runway is operating at LHR, how will it be used? To get a balanced utilisation of all three runways, will one be in mixed mode i.e. departures and landings? And, if so, which runway would be mixed mode?

Thanks!

woglet86 Jun 24, 2019 5:09 am

I saw on the CSM’s iPad recently flying Dublin to Heathrow that my seat number was in green, and said “CR” underneath or beside it, as well as a little arrow. Does anybody know what this means? Mine was the only seat number in green as far as I could tell.

I also think, but can’t be sure, that at some point my entry moved to the top of the list, whereas initially it was further down the list as I was in row 2. I would have assumed in order of seat number would be the default.

I had been upgraded shortly before boarding, the flight was full.

Thanks!

Can I help you Jun 24, 2019 5:30 am

It indicates you were upgraded, very very rarely we have customers with a red downward arrow when downgraded.

Can I help you Jun 24, 2019 5:32 am

There are two ways that we can view the customer lists, either by seat row or by value, you may have been at the top of the list as a GGL.

BoeBus Jun 24, 2019 6:46 am

Single Engine Taxi

A few questions about single engine taxi please:

When do you [decide to] start the second engine?
Do you keep the APU running and use it’s bleed air to start the second engine or is it the first engine’s job?
When taxying on one engine do you have to compensate when turning for the asymmetric thrust or is this automatically done?

Thanks for satisfying my geeky curiosity!

Sigwx Jun 24, 2019 8:25 am

Originally Posted by BoeBus (Post 31233800)
A few questions about single engine taxi please:

When do you [decide to] start the second engine?
Do you keep the APU running and use it’s bleed air to start the second engine or is it the first engine’s job?
When taxying on one engine do you have to compensate when turning for the asymmetric thrust or is this automatically done?

Thanks for satisfying my geeky curiosity!

we liase with ATC as to how long we can expect before line up clearance. This gives us time to start the engine, allow it to run for a specified time dependant on engine type before we are allowed to apply rake off thrust (engine warm up) and complete the after start and before take off procedures. Yes APU bleed is used. The APU burns tea spoons compared to engines at idle and yes re the asymmetric thrust. Not a massive issue given the levels involved though. If we’d be needing a lot of thrust we would start both together.

BoeBus Jun 24, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx (Post 31234085)

we liase with ATC as to how long we can expect before line up clearance. This gives us time to start the engine, allow it to run for a specified time dependant on engine type before we are allowed to apply rake off thrust (engine warm up) and complete the after start and before take off procedures. Yes APU bleed is used. The APU burns tea spoons compared to engines at idle and yes re the asymmetric thrust. Not a massive issue given the levels involved though. If we’d be needing a lot of thrust we would start both together.

Brilliant, many thanks!

Heathrow Tower Jun 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Lost-in-Space (Post 31227954)
This one for the ATCOs:

When (if?!) the third runway is operating at LHR, how will it be used? To get a balanced utilisation of all three runways, will one be in mixed mode i.e. departures and landings? And, if so, which runway would be mixed mode?

Thanks!

Heathrow Airport are planning to use the 3 runways in four different configurations and rotate through them to provide respite.

You can see them described in the latest consultation that has just opened.

Essentially, if you consider working from northernmost to southernmost, and where M=Mixed, D=Departures and L=Landing, the modes will be;
MDL
MLD
LDM
DLM

Mixed mode won’t be a planned configuration on the middle runway, because the missed approach procedure has to go straight ahead (there’s a runway either side), which means it will conflict with a departure from the same runway (ideally you’d want the missed approach to turn away from the runway if there’s a departure just getting airborne). To enable mixed mode on the middle runway, you’d have to build in a procedural longitudinal separation, for example, the departure must be rolling by the time the inbound is at 6nm from touchdown (so that if there is a go around, there’s enough separation from the departure).....this restriction would cripple the throughput of that runway.

Hope that makes sense!

Takiteasy Jun 24, 2019 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower (Post 31234846)

Heathrow Airport are planning to use the 3 runways in four different configurations and rotate through them to provide respite.

Essentially, if you consider working from northernmost to southernmost, and where M=Mixed, D=Departures and L=Landing, the modes will be;
MDL
MLD
LDM
DLM

Mixed mode won’t be a planned configuration on the middle runway, because the missed approach procedure has to go straight ahead (there’s a runway either side), which means it will conflict with a departure from the same runway (ideally you’d want the missed approach to turn away from the runway if there’s a departure just getting airborne). To enable mixed mode on the middle runway, you’d have to build in a procedural longitudinal separation, for example, the departure must be rolling by the time the inbound is at 6nm from touchdown (so that if there is a go around, there’s enough separation from the departure).....this restriction would cripple the throughput of that runway.

Hope that makes sense!

Super interesting, many thanks. Currently there are only 2 configurations LD, DL and they get swapped according to the day of the month, and every day at 3pm. So basically each configuration is used 50% of the time.
Once we move to 4 configs, when will they be in use? 25% of the time each on average?

Heathrow Tower Jun 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy (Post 31235383)

Super interesting, many thanks. Currently there are only 2 configurations LD, DL and they get swapped according to the day of the month, and every day at 3pm. So basically each configuration is used 50% of the time.
Once we move to 4 configs, when will they be in use? 25% of the time each on average?

All of that detail is being consulted on at the moment, along with matters such as keeping, reversing or abandoning the westerly preference.

TheFlyingCyclist Jun 24, 2019 2:49 pm

I didn’t think 09L is currently used for departures?

Takiteasy Jun 24, 2019 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower (Post 31235396)

All of that detail is being consulted on at the moment, along with matters such as keeping, reversing or abandoning the westerly preference.

Consultations (whether for Heathrow runways, before a round of corporate redundancies, or prior to changing the schedule of a school) tend to be purely a box ticking exercise. There must be a preference, published or not, from the airport/airlines. Any insight as to what that is?
[Disclaimer: am affected by LHR flight paths yet strongly in favour of Rwy3]

alex67500 Jun 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower (Post 31235396)

You mean like LCY where they really turn depending on the wind? Or could LHR go to easterly as default and only pivot if conditions get bad?

Heathrow Tower Jun 24, 2019 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy (Post 31235470)

Consultations (whether for Heathrow runways, before a round of corporate redundancies, or prior to changing the schedule of a school) tend to be purely a box ticking exercise. There must be a preference, published or not, from the airport/airlines. Any insight as to what that is?
[Disclaimer: am affected by LHR flight paths yet strongly in favour of Rwy3]

If you read the consultation, you’ll see that HAL are going to use all four modes equally, and the consultation is on the duration of period of each mode.

Heathrow Tower Jun 24, 2019 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 31235572)
You mean like LCY where they really turn depending on the wind? Or could LHR go to easterly as default and only pivot if conditions get bad?

Currently, LHR operates a westerly preference, so that means we continue on westerlies (Landing FROM London, taking off TO Windsor) up to a 5kt easterly wind (5kt tailwind) in order to reduce noise over west London.

The consultation is trying to determine whether that stays or changes.

Lost-in-Space Jun 25, 2019 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower (Post 31234846)

MDL
MLD
LDM
DLM

Hope that makes sense!

HeathrowTower, many thanks, nicely explained!

steview111 Jun 25, 2019 7:12 am

I’m BA Silver but my other half has just had a positive answer for a job application with BA, so she will be joining a few of you in the skies soon. I’m pretty close to Gold, but was wondering if it’s worth achieving/maintaining status whilst (I assume...) being able to enjoy her staff travel benefits? Can you use the lounges on ID90 tickets, status or otherwise?

Thanks

Can I help you Jun 25, 2019 7:30 am

Yes you can, go for Gold.

T8191 Jun 25, 2019 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 31237646)
Yes you can, go for Gold.

The CC Oracle has spoken! :)

Enjoy the benefits of both, steview111*

* On Tremblers, by any chance?

Heathrow Tower Jun 25, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31237744)
steview111*

* On Tremblers, by any chance?

aka the ‘Girls’ School’ as 43 called them?

T8191 Jun 25, 2019 10:43 am

Ah, happy days of banter and rivalry! :)

My old mate C4 would have a view on that!