Ask the staffer

Old May 3, 2022, 2:01 am

I believe a new video is being developed for appropriate aircraft. It’s a big task meeting regulatory requirements, and of course filming the thing, as well as making sure face mask usage is referenced and both old and new CW included as needed.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
The NEOs definitely have a pre recorded version as it was used when I was onboard a few years ago.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I agree the comic relief videos aren’t my cup of tea. If it were up to me, in armchair ceo mode micro-managing the PA script, I’d say a pre-recorded PA with crew manually demonstrating would be best, in the way cityflyer do it.
I agree, for the reasons you stated. I've always wondered why some airlines favour 'live' readouts from a script (BA, Easyjet etc) whilst others (e.g. Iberia) use a pre-recorded version. The Iberia example is bilingual which would explain the need for a recording perhaps, but that doesn't explain why BA don't do this.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:28 am

all BA aircraft have a pre recorded safety announcement loaded onto their systems, but we as crew are not permitted to play them. The reason being, some may not have up to date information, so until they have all been updated, to avoid confusion we are not to play them. This includes the foreign language PAs, indeed there are many languages on the system, it’s a real shame that we can’t utilise them
Old May 3, 2022, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by smiles in the aisles
I believe a new video is being developed for appropriate aircraft. It’s a big task meeting regulatory requirements, and of course filming the thing ...
... not to mention updating Olivia Colman's growing list of awards without busting the time limit.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Getting back to more mundane matters, perhaps Heathrow Tower could advise when the final piece of apron which is stopping T2 and it’s remote pier having through access like T5 does now will be finished?
I have no idea what they were doing with the ground works, but it seems to be taking an age to complete it and fill the final piece in so aircraft movements across a lot of the airfield will become even easier for ATC and pilots!

Pilot37
KARFA and TedToToe like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:26 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Question regarding the number of crew required by law vs number of seats. I recall reading that the CAA mandates the minimum crew per aircraft is directly linked to the number of seats fitted on each aircraft, not the actual number of pax on board? Why would it be done like this, surely it allows an airline much more flexibility of aircraft changes if based on number of pax on board?

Surely an airline can simply block out a number of seats in the reservation system to ensure compliance rather than have to physically remove rows of seats? The way it is mandated at the moment prevents a last minute substitution if an aircraft goes tech and another frame also with similar seats removed is not available?
Old May 8, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Question regarding the number of crew required by law vs number of seats. I recall reading that the CAA mandates the minimum crew per aircraft is directly linked to the number of seats fitted on each aircraft, not the actual number of pax on board? Why would it be done like this, surely it allows an airline much more flexibility of aircraft changes if based on number of pax on board?

Surely an airline can simply block out a number of seats in the reservation system to ensure compliance rather than have to physically remove rows of seats? The way it is mandated at the moment prevents a last minute substitution if an aircraft goes tech and another frame also with similar seats removed is not available?
There is nothing to prevent an airline blocking seats or closing cabins to operate with fewer crew members.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Probably to stop airlines from
cheating the system. If the seats are removed then they can’t.
Old May 8, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It’s one crew member per 50 seats fitted, nothing to do with passenger load.
Hence why EasyJet are removing 6 seats.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...abin-crew.html
Old May 8, 2022, 1:14 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by rapidex
There is nothing to prevent an airline blocking seats or closing cabins to operate with fewer crew members.
That's not what the news is saying today, it states the seats cannot be just blocked to operate with fewer CC. They have to be physically removed from the aircraft....which was entirely the reason for my question
Old May 8, 2022, 1:16 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It’s one crew member per 50 seats fitted, nothing to do with passenger load.
Hence why EasyJet are removing 6 seats.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...abin-crew.html
Please re-read my post, I am 100% aware of what you state (it's the whole jist of my post). I was asking WHY seats cannot simply be blocked from the reservation system?
Old May 8, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Because the CAA set the rules and test what they want!
Old May 8, 2022, 1:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

The BBC offers an explanation. My bolding

“By taking out the back row of seating on its A319 fleet, EasyJet said it will be able to fly with three cabin crew instead of four.

That would limit numbers on board to a maximum 150 passengers.

EasyJet said it was an effective way of operating the fleet while "building additional resilience and flexibility" into the airline's operations.

Flights would still meet Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) regulations on the required number of cabin crew, which is based on the number of physical seats, rather than passengers on board.”

I recall back in the day, BA was able to reduce the crew count to 3 on LGW domestics by permanently converting the first four rows on the 737-400 to AC-DEF which brought the physical seat count down to 149
Old May 8, 2022, 1:25 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Because the CAA set the rules and test what they want!
That's really helpful, thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.