FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

SaraJH Mar 26, 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by alpha320 (Post 30928905)
As flight crew we try a few things to help smooth out the ride for you! Each aircraft type has published a "turbulence penetration" speed, which we target to help reduce the intensity and give us greater margin on our speed between maximum and minimum. (this margin reduces with altitude so the main risk of turbulence is going too fast!) On the Airbus this is Mach 0.76. Despite this, the aeroplane is more than capable of flying through even the most severe turbulence. Often there is no obvious cause so it is hard to avoid, but sometimes ATC give us a heads up about reports from aircraft ahead. These reports help us decide if we want to descend, climb or turn to find smoother air. The place you'll feel turbulence the least is over the wings, nearest the centre of gravity, as the whole aeroplane is pivoting around. You'll feel it most at the rear as the horizontal stabiliser moves frequently to maintain our intended flight path. Up front is also better than at the back! For this reason we ask cabin crew at the rear to be our eyes and ears for the seat belt sign! Hope this helps!

Thank you! I try to avoid sitting down the back as I always feel more movement there, also feel more restricted than in an exit row or a nice flat bed! I feel turbulence far less when lying down.

alpha320 Mar 26, 2019 6:21 am

Originally Posted by RB211 (Post 30929894)
Great information - thanks! Is the gravity feed backup from the left and right tanks another reason why the center tank is used first?

rb211.

Not really. The tanks fill in a certain order too, so if there is fuel in the centre tank, its because the wing tanks are already full. As a result, there is *always* fuel in the wing tanks. For most flights within Europe the centre tank flies empty.

peter h Mar 26, 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by alpha320 (Post 30930891)
Not really. The tanks fill in a certain order too, so if there is fuel in the centre tank, its because the wing tanks are already full. As a result, there is *always* fuel in the wing tanks. For most flights within Europe the centre tank flies empty.

Presumably because the engines are fed fuel from the wing tanks? So there can't ever be a scenario where the wing tanks are empty (unless all the tanks are empty, of course!!)

alpha320 Mar 26, 2019 7:37 am

Originally Posted by peter h (Post 30931106)
Presumably because the engines are fed fuel from the wing tanks? So there can't ever be a scenario where the wing tanks are empty (unless all the tanks are empty, of course!!)

So if there is fuel in the centre tank (which has two pumps), each engine is supplied by one of the two centre tank pumps. Once the centre tank empties, each engine is supplied by both fuel pumps in its respective wing tank... unless we turn them off to force feeding from the other side to balance an imbalance. You are correct there should never be a scenario where the wing tanks are empty!

Eaunoire Mar 28, 2019 8:23 am

Obviously it’s subject to change but what aircraft is scheduled for ba2167 in Sunday? Assume it’s G-VIIV?

hearingdouble Mar 28, 2019 9:03 am

Here's my question:

We get a lot of questions on this forum (including the post immediately above!) about which frame is going to be allocated on a particular rotation. I am guilty of worrying about this too, particularly on routes where there is product variability on the same route from day-to-day (e.g. variation among the Mid-J 744 fleet). The allocations are (to outside punters like myself) quite unpredictable, with some frames scheduled for a prompt turnaround and others scheduled to sit on the ground for much longer.

My question is -- Who is responsible for allocating frames to particular rotations, and what factors do they take into account when choosing which frame should fly to which destination? Does the approach vary between LGW, LHR T3 and LHR T5?

1010101 Mar 28, 2019 9:45 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble (Post 30939106)
Here's my question:

We get a lot of questions on this forum (including the post immediately above!) about which frame is going to be allocated on a particular rotation. I am guilty of worrying about this too, particularly on routes where there is product variability on the same route from day-to-day (e.g. variation among the Mid-J 744 fleet). The allocations are (to outside punters like myself) quite unpredictable, with some frames scheduled for a prompt turnaround and others scheduled to sit on the ground for much longer.

My question is -- Who is responsible for allocating frames to particular rotations, and what factors do they take into account when choosing which frame should fly to which destination? Does the approach vary between LGW, LHR T3 and LHR T5?

They feature on and off in this documentary, first appearance from 23:30:

CosmosHuman Mar 28, 2019 12:13 pm

deleted

CosmosHuman Mar 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30926791)
I believe that they were diverted due to industrial action.

Why is this called an industrial action when us yanks call it a strike? Are they the same thing? I’m just curious.

RB211 Mar 28, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman (Post 30939835)
Why is this called an industrial action when us yanks call it a strike? Are they the same thing? I’m just curious.

A strike is a specific action whereas industrial action is a general term, and can, and often does mean a strike.

rb211.

CosmosHuman Mar 28, 2019 12:55 pm

Thank you for the explanation.

MADPhil Mar 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman (Post 30939835)

Originally Posted by RB211 (Post 30939967)
A strike is a specific action whereas industrial action is a general term, and can, and often does mean a strike.
rb211.

Other examples are the "work to rule" which was used to great effect on the railways (e.g. check all the safety equipment at each stop) and the "go slow" in which the job is done with all deliberate speed (slowly and thoughtfully). Ideally these were not pushed to a limit that would justify discipline.

CosmosHuman Mar 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Work slow down. I understand.

Eaunoire Mar 28, 2019 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by hearingdouble (Post 30939106)
Here's my question:

I think while the fleets are updating it’s a common question. This flight was booked as a refurbed 4 class, it just changed to a unfurbed one. With a little one I wanted to check the ife/WiFi status 😄

Truthmonkey Mar 31, 2019 8:16 am

When an aircraft is positioning, without passengers onboard, does it require any cabin crew?

Can I help you Mar 31, 2019 8:22 am

No it does not.

Waterhorse Mar 31, 2019 10:10 am

[QUOTE=Truthmonkey;30948911]When an aircraft is positioning, without passengers onboard, does it require any cabin crew?[/QUOTE

As CIHY says no cabin crew required, it is though eerie to try an empty aircraft around, especially a really Large one

IAMORGAN May 27, 2019 8:30 am

Does BA repair / service the flip down TV screens on shorthaul aircraft? Not for the first time, the contrast was so poor that the safety video was unwatchable from row 1 and moving map meaningless (this was an A319). Is this something that is checked? I realise there is a move back to the manual demo on the newer Airbus AC but just curious about whether this is checked and if it was found to be defective would BA repair it or just mark the system as INOP until the aircraft is scrapped?

On another note, I was on an A320 recently where instead of reading the manual demo script an audio announcement was played which talked about “portable telephones” being switched off. Just struck me as odd that these are still being used.

rumbataz May 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Can a mother breastfeed her baby DURING take-off and landing?

Can I help you May 27, 2019 12:32 pm

Yes, that is an excellent idea as it helps with babies ears.

volar May 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN (Post 31142623)
On another note, I was on an A320 recently where instead of reading the manual demo script an audio announcement was played which talked about “portable telephones” being switched off. Just struck me as odd that these are still being used.

I’ve also heard this one. I think is also refers to ‘word processors’ being switched off. I think I read in here that these shouldn’t be used anymore.

i’ve heard quite a lot of bad / incoherent announcements recently, wrong type of life jackets (clip or double bow) referred to, ‘find the envelope in your headphone pack’ (on a short haul flight), ‘Please open your window blinds for landing in the event of emergency [full stop] Take nothing with you’ etc - it seems it must be easy to read the wrong one from the iPad when working on different aircraft types and both long and short haul routes. I actually think that an updated set of recorded announcements might be a good idea (like on CityFlyer) but I’m interested in what staff think of this.

alpha320 May 28, 2019 4:20 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN (Post 31142623)
Does BA repair / service the flip down TV screens on shorthaul aircraft? Not for the first time, the contrast was so poor that the safety video was unwatchable from row 1 and moving map meaningless (this was an A319). Is this something that is checked? I realise there is a move back to the manual demo on the newer Airbus AC but just curious about whether this is checked and if it was found to be defective would BA repair it or just mark the system as INOP until the aircraft is scrapped?

I believe overhead screens on Airbus aircraft are slowly being removed - there are certainly none at Gatwick. I'm not sure if BA engineering would just end up marking the whole system INOP in the mentioned case - they might have spares readily available. Worth mentioning to the crew who can enter it in the cabin defect log.

Manual Demo's are normally read from a table of announcements written in the Cabin Crew's manual. They (probably!) shouldn't be done using the Pre-Recorded Announcement system (PRA) - which itself is often broken!

alpha320 May 28, 2019 4:22 am

Originally Posted by volar (Post 31143397)

I’ve also heard this one. I think is also refers to ‘word processors’ being switched off. I think I read in here that these shouldn’t be used anymore.

i’ve heard quite a lot of bad / incoherent announcements recently, wrong type of life jackets (clip or double bow) referred to, ‘find the envelope in your headphone pack’ (on a short haul flight), ‘Please open your window blinds for landing in the event of emergency [full stop] Take nothing with you’ etc - it seems it must be easy to read the wrong one from the iPad when working on different aircraft types and both long and short haul routes. I actually think that an updated set of recorded announcements might be a good idea (like on CityFlyer) but I’m interested in what staff think of this.

There are a set of Pre Recorded Announcements - the problem is that I think it can be a pain to keep them up-to-date and promulgate to crews on which specific aircraft they can use the announcements, for example. On older Airbus' they are literally played from a tape in the Avionics bay! There are some hanging around at Gatwick with Oasis as the boarding music!

The majority of PRA's are automated emergency announcements (EG: Decompression, ditching, emergency landing).

On some aircraft with a touch screen FAP (Flight Attendant Panel) we have welcome on board announcements in a number of different languages.

Problem is.. BA have so many different Airbus configurations!

Sam Bee May 28, 2019 5:06 am

[QUOTE=Waterhorse;30949196]

Originally Posted by Truthmonkey (Post 30948911)
When an aircraft is positioning, without passengers onboard, does it require any cabin crew?[/QUOTE

As CIHY says no cabin crew required, it is though eerie to try an empty aircraft around, especially a really Large one

Going back to this and CIHY's answer - when planes are flown out longhaul - i.e. to Singapore / Philippines empty for a variety of checks (or even the Nevada desert if being scrapped) is this still the case?

Or do the flight crew have training in how to use the ovens etc for long haul flights where you'll want hot food and coffee?

Can I help you May 28, 2019 5:23 am

Yes it’s still the case, our flight crew are quite able to look after themselves. :D

alpha320 May 28, 2019 5:24 am

[QUOTE=Sam Bee;31145193]

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 30949196)

Going back to this and CIHY's answer - when planes are flown out longhaul - i.e. to Singapore / Philippines empty for a variety of checks (or even the Nevada desert if being scrapped) is this still the case?

Or do the flight crew have training in how to use the ovens etc for long haul flights where you'll want hot food and coffee?

Brewers and ovens are pretty easy to use! Not sure if long haul guys get any specific training but I'm pretty sure we could work it out without!

Globaliser May 28, 2019 5:37 am

:confused: Don't they just bring their own McDonalds?

alpha320 May 28, 2019 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31145256)

Good shout! The crew food isn't great! :p

icegirl Jun 4, 2019 2:09 pm

Can Mixed Fleet crew that join as new recruits, choose just to do short haul routes on a Monday to Friday basis only if they wanted? (asking for a friend)

alpha320 Jun 4, 2019 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 31170546)
Can Mixed Fleet crew that join as new recruits, choose just to do short haul routes on a Monday to Friday basis only if they wanted? (asking for a friend)

Not really. Flight and cabin crew 'bid' for the trips they want. As you can imagine, weekends off are very popular and the system is seniority based, so you won't have the best chance as a new entrant. Likewise, you can't do short-haul only, at the very least you'd need to do enough long haul trips to keep your certification current on that aircraft type.

Davidjonesk Jun 10, 2019 3:44 pm

I’ve been watching some vlogs that cabin crew make. They mostly concern US-based cabin crew.

On query I had relating to BA is the procedure for crew boarding their plane.

At LHR, you often see the crew going to their plane together presumably from the staff area. What happens at outstations? How early can the crew board? Are there rules etc? Can crew board separately and does someone check their ID? Is the senior crew member responsible?

What about when crew want to do duty free shopping etc?

speedbuslhr Jun 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Davidjonesk (Post 31189761)
I’ve been watching some vlogs that cabin crew make. They mostly concern US-based cabin crew.

At LHR, you often see the crew going to their plane together presumably from the staff area. What happens at outstations? How early can the crew board? Are there rules etc? Can crew board separately and does someone check their ID? Is the senior crew member responsible?

Worldwide and Euro Fleet are all very independent. Mostly they all do their separate thing after their briefing and meet at the gate or onboard the aircraft. They do often go shopping or go the get food etc.
Mixed fleet however are much stricter. Its very rare for them to separate unless they have a long wait between flights at Heathrow. Usually they stay together all the way from Security to the gate and even after flights they stay together all the way until exiting arrivals where they can go their separate ways.
Crew usually board at -45 for SH or -60 to -50 for LH.
At outstations crew normally all stay together as its not our hub airport and every airport has different procedures. Once crew arrive at an outstation from the hotel coming back to LHR then timings are a bit more tight its usually arrive at the airport and straight to the aircraft.
I’ve seen some of the US flight attendants vlogs too and dont know how they find the time to do them.

shefgab Jun 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by alpha320 (Post 31145118)
There are some hanging around at Gatwick with Oasis as the boarding music!

OMG, Oasis would be so much better for boarding music than the current stuff.

Originally Posted by icegirl (Post 31170546)

If they know how to bid, then yes. "There and back" routes are generally not very popular with MF crew, unless you need to be home every night.

At LHR, you often see the crew going to their plane together presumably from the staff area. What happens at outstations? How early can the crew board? Are there rules etc? Can crew board separately and does someone check their ID? Is the senior crew member responsible? What about when crew want to do duty free shopping etc?

MF crew generally stay together as as group. Pick up times from crew hotels generally don't allow time to detour to duty free. Crew IDs are checked by ground crew at the gate.

TTmex Jun 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31145256)

Yep. And they take turns to eat in the first class cabin. Chicken nuggets normally

TheRealBabushka Jun 10, 2019 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30633180)

Everyone should be treated the same, we are all trained to the same standards but let’s just say some care more than offers.
Never sit in your seat and feel unhappy, if you are not being treated as you expect then ask to speak to one of the senior crew onboard so that we can manage the situation.

Agreed, but not a very British thing to do so isn’t it? Could some less motivated crew take advantage of that?

Waterhorse Jun 11, 2019 2:21 am

The squeaky wheel gets the grease; if you are happy to sit in your seat silently fuming, rather than say something and change the situation, then you will just there and fume. I know it's very British but WE cannot change things for the better unless you tell us there is something wrong, be it a failing in a service standard or in service delivery. Ask, do it politely and without anger, the thing irritating you may just be an innocent oversight and simply and easily corrected. We are all human and sometimes make errors, usually we are happy to learn and to be reminded.

Cw novice Jun 11, 2019 2:29 am

I was reading on twitter that the BOAC liveried 747 would be flying with the Red Arrows at an airshow.

How do the pilots fly these is it done on autopilot or is it hand flown. Is it also the case that as the 747 is the central aircraft that the Red Arrows will match the speed and direction of the 747.

Waterhorse Jun 11, 2019 3:23 am

The Reds will formate on the Jumbo, they have the skills,the practice and the aircraft with the agility to do it. The jumbo will probably be hand flown or use very basic autopilot inputs. The Jumbo must not do any unannounced or unpredictable manoeuvres so turn entry needs to be smooth and gentle not sudden or initiated without due warning. This is most easily achieved by hand flying. There may well be a member of the Reds on the Jumbo flight deck to co-ordinate and " lead" the formation, I'm not certain of that though. There will be meetings and liaison between the pilots flying the Jumbo and the Reds, and the BA pilots are likely to be ex military themselves so not unfamiliar with the procedures and skills required

alpha320 Jun 11, 2019 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 31191076)
The Reds will formate on the Jumbo, they have the skills,the practice and the aircraft with the agility to do it. The jumbo will probably be hand flown or use very basic autopilot inputs. The Jumbo must not do any unannounced or unpredictable manoeuvres so turn entry needs to be smooth and gentle not sudden or initiated without due warning. This is most easily achieved by hand flying. There may well be a member of the Reds on the Jumbo flight deck to co-ordinate and " lead" the formation, I'm not certain of that though. There will be meetings and liaison between the pilots flying the Jumbo and the Reds, and the BA pilots are likely to be ex military themselves so not unfamiliar with the procedures and skills required

Likely *full* use made of the autopilot - it does and will take a lot for the 747 fleet team to produce a safety case for this to go ahead. Pilots will likely be senior trainers.

alpha320 Jun 11, 2019 4:13 am

Crew normally stick together, I think Mixed Fleet have no choice, they have to! Gatwick and Eurofleet aren't so strict. Pilots will try and walk out with the crew unless they still need to brief and vice-versa. ID's not always checked as you've already gone through security to get airside.

There is sometimes time for duty free on a turn-around at places like Gibraltar.