FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

tuonopepper Sep 6, 2020 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 32655739)
When I posed the original, mischievous, question it was to highlight a wider point. So to rephrase the question, what about a normal transatlantic two crew trip, over from the East Coast of the States, no duty extension, just a routine flight, yet pilots are awake all night. It is a well known tenet that you are responsible if you get into your car drunk and then drive. The Selby rail crash also made tiredness a personal responsibility when driving. So a tired pilot (or cabin crew member) drives after a red-eye, the falls asleep at the wheel and crashes. What is the liability on BA if any? After all, it’s just a regular commute home, nothing that could not have been anticipated and planned for. If there is no liability, when does it start, if ever? After discretion?

Very much where the 'duty of care' lines become blurred. I'm sure questions would be asked in such a situation but whether BA could be held in anyway culpable is a different matter.

BWBriscoe Sep 7, 2020 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Boeing77W (Post 32656572)
Current times are:
T5 Long haul 1hr 30min
T5 Short haul 1hr 15min - Edit: My mistake, 1hr 10min
LGW Long haul 1hr 15min

Cabin Crew currently have an additional 15min on their report time to allow for additional time with briefing/checks etc as many have been furloughed.

How long does a crew briefing in T5 usually take and how long before departure do they get to the aircraft? I assume catering, fuelling etc happens without them on board?

EJetter Sep 7, 2020 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Boeing77W (Post 32656572)
Current times are:
T5 Long haul 1hr 30min
T5 Short haul 1hr 15min - Edit: My mistake, 1hr 10min
LGW Long haul 1hr 15min

Cabin Crew currently have an additional 15min on their report time to allow for additional time with briefing/checks etc as many have been furloughed.

At LCY report time is 1 hour before departure, and crew are expected to get to the aircraft no later than 30 minutes before departure, with doors closed T-5.

champair79 Sep 7, 2020 8:48 am

Originally Posted by BWBriscoe (Post 32657698)
How long does a crew briefing in T5 usually take and how long before departure do they get to the aircraft? I assume catering, fuelling etc happens without them on board?

It depends but usually around 10 mins for shorthaul. It’s rare to swipe in exactly at report time. Most people build in a 10-20 minute buffer for traffic and any unforeseen delays.

Assuming you start briefing at 1hr10 for shorthaul, you’re usually going through security between 50 mins to an hour before STD. Then there’s 15 mins or so to walk to the gate or get the bus. We aim to be on board at -35 at the latest. We order fuel on the iPad and the fueller will start refuelling independently of whether the crew are on board. Catering work to their own timescales but again this is often completed during crew changeover or before the crew reach the aircraft.

It can feel very rushed when you first start out in the job but you adapt. Of course, if there are any complicated defects or issues to resolve, it can often result in a late pushback but thankfully that’s rare.

Note the above is for shorthaul. I’m not sure what the longhaul timescales (or in BA parlance, “critical path”) are.

champ

IAMORGAN Sep 9, 2020 7:28 pm

What is the plan for crew training on this new LHR Single Fleet (+ does the new LHR team have a name?)

IE presumably there will now be some ex-Eurofleet crew joining who are only A32x qualified, with some new SCCMs (ex-Eurofleet Pursers & CSDs if any of latter left) who are not F trained. Presumably plan is eventually for these crew to be trained on 787/777 and 350 - and for ex-WW crew to be 32x trained (to replace 747/380 attestation)?

Is there any kind of Purser/CSL/World Class crew role at all? If not, where does that leave a crew if the SCCM falls ill downroute on a longhaul trip? Can the inbound be operated within regs without a trained SCCM?

Did this restructure affect IBMs too?

BOH Sep 10, 2020 1:24 am

What takes place in a crew briefing before each flight? Off the top of my head I can think of obvious things like how many pax are on board, if there are any wheelchair access pax, any Prem's etc etc but what else? Plus for all the crew to formally meet each other before boarding? Do the flight-deck crew pass brief the CC regarding expected route, weather conditions, expected delays?

MFCC Sep 10, 2020 1:31 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 32664958)
What takes place in a crew briefing before each flight? Off the top of my head I can think of obvious things like how many pax are on board, if there are any wheelchair access pax, any Prem's etc etc but what else? Plus for all the crew to formally meet each other before boarding? Do the flight-deck crew pass brief the CC regarding expected route, weather conditions, expected delays?

All of the above, plus a knowledge check on safety/security/medical procedures.
Will also include special meals, position allocations if the SCCM hasn’t already done so, a check on whether the crew members are acclimatised, how long the maximum FDP is etc. The CSM will usually also give their expectations for the service as well.
On long haul briefings the flight crew will always make an appearance and introduce themselves and give flight duration and route info. However, on short haul you may not meet the pilots until you reach the aircraft due to having different trip itineraries.

BOH Sep 10, 2020 1:48 am

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 32664968)
......how long the maximum FDP is etc.

Thanks for explanation....FDP?

MFCC Sep 10, 2020 3:27 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 32664987)
Thanks for explanation....FDP?

Flight Duty Period (amount of time before we go out of hours).

EDIwanderer Jan 26, 2021 5:02 pm

Evening all. Just wondering when flying on a codeshare - booked through BA but non-OW, what information gets transferred to the operating airline?
For instance flying on a through ticket BA-AS, do Alaska have any idea you are a BA frequent flyer or is it just the basics they’re given?

rapidex Jan 27, 2021 2:46 am

Originally Posted by EDIwanderer (Post 32996770)
Evening all. Just wondering when flying on a codeshare - booked through BA but non-OW, what information gets transferred to the operating airline?
For instance flying on a through ticket BA-AS, do Alaska have any idea you are a BA frequent flyer or is it just the basics they’re given?

Since Alaska has been accepted as a future member, I would guess it depends on how far along the membership process they are as to how much they communicate with other oneworld members.
Without knowing your date of flight Alaska could even be a member by then.

Confus Jan 27, 2021 6:13 am

Originally Posted by EDIwanderer (Post 32996770)

There’s a standard IATA protocol for data sharing where journeys involve two different carriers. There’s no difference in this process for alliance or non-alliance, and it includes FFP data if you’ve put it in the booking, but not if you haven’t. Unless I’m mistaken, in Amadeus this is under a FQTV keyword.

Separate to this process, alliances facilitate central sharing of certain FF data, which is where (for example) oneworld carriers will identify tier status. This is not part of the standard IATA data flow but is added later.

Within joint businesses, there will be enhanced data sharing for itineraries that qualify under the specific ATI for that journey. Again, this is bilateral (or multilateral) between the airlines involved, but will supplement rather than replace the standard IATA flow above.

Argoat Jan 28, 2021 1:11 am

Hello. Been lurking for a while but first time posting as I have a nagging question.

With my work I have a Seaman's book and usually fly with a seaman's ticket (fully flexible and 2x 23kg baggage allowance). When I have flown other airlines (AF, LH, QR, CX etc.) I have always been asked to provide my seaman's book at check in, or to provide a signing on letter from a vessel. When I've flown BA I have never been asked to provide any of this information nor has it been mentioned that I am on a seaman's ticket.

With flying regularly this does stand out that BA never asks, so any help as to why would be great.

​​​

corporate-wage-slave Jan 28, 2021 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Argoat (Post 32999712)
With flying regularly this does stand out that BA never asks, so any help as to why would be great.​​​

Welcome to Flyertalk Argoat. BA does a lot of Marine and Offshore travel, so perhaps at a certain point they don't worry too much. Cathay would too, but their training is perhaps more firm on checking bona fides generally. But the more likely reason is that BA has a front end to the check-in process called FLY, which in the case of Heathrow also has a further app called Ready to Fly. So things like the baggage allowance and ticket restrictions are all in there, visible to BA staff, and what BA staff need to concentrate on are those areas where there would be visa issues (e.g. Filipino mariners going to Gibraltar when a diversion may be on the radar). The other factor is that frequent flyer status on BA is a common thing, so having 2 bags in World Traveller isn't terribly surprisiing compared to some airlines.

Argoat Jan 28, 2021 4:09 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32999840)
Welcome to Flyertalk Argoat. BA does a lot of Marine and Offshore travel, so perhaps at a certain point they don't worry too much. Cathay would too, but their training is perhaps more firm on checking bona fides generally. But the more likely reason is that BA has a front end to the check-in process called FLY, which in the case of Heathrow also has a further app called Ready to Fly. So things like the baggage allowance and ticket restrictions are all in there, visible to BA staff, and what BA staff need to concentrate on are those areas where there would be visa issues (e.g. Filipino mariners going to Gibraltar when a diversion may be on the radar). The other factor is that frequent flyer status on BA is a common thing, so having 2 bags in World Traveller isn't terribly surprisiing compared to some airlines.

​​​​​​
Thank you very much, clears up something I've wondered for a few years.