FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

krispy84 Aug 7, 2020 11:54 am

Originally Posted by pennineuk (Post 32588700)
One for the pilots. How do the COVID-19 cargo flights work when some countries are quarantining or prohibiting non-nationals from arriving? Do inbound crew fly out with the outbound crew? Do they sleep on board when landing or return within a few hours?

I’m not a pilot, but there are all sorts of exemptions to entry restrictions and flight crew are commonly given an exemption. Fly in, quarantine overnight in a hotel, then fly out.

Waterhorse Aug 7, 2020 12:28 pm

As has been mentioned there are exemptions in place for crew, but also other declarations and recording of temperature etc. If a place is struggling with Covid as China was then some of the flights have been multi crewed and they do a very long duty doing, for example Shanghai and back in one go. There are 7 or 8 pilots on this and they stay on the aircraft, the aircraft stays on the ground for the minimum turnaround time. There are special rules and these are rum as non passenger flights.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 7, 2020 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68 (Post 32588470)
Following a timetable change, I need to rebook a BA Holidays flight. BA Holidays are currently on a 45 minute hold time, and have been all week. When I tried the flight only option, I was told they could not make the change and transferred me.
Do BA still maintain ticket desks in Terminal 5 where I can do this when I am there this week?

I think you best stay on the line, it's going to be a difficult time given all the news, but it should be easier on a Saturday afternoon / evening, for example. BAH tickets are not like flight tickets so even if T5 were operating normally - which is not the case - then going to LHR isn't going to help you.

krispy84 Aug 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 32588842)
As has been mentioned there are exemptions in place for crew, but also other declarations and recording of temperature etc. If a place is struggling with Covid as China was then some of the flights have been multi crewed and they do a very long duty doing, for example Shanghai and back in one go. There are 7 or 8 pilots on this and they stay on the aircraft, the aircraft stays on the ground for the minimum turnaround time. There are special rules and these are rum as non passenger flights.

I wouldn’t like to draw the short straw and fly the return on one of those duties. Reminds me of my time in the Navy and having the 0000-0400 bridge watch after a day at action stations.

(Caveat: I’m sure flight crew are properly rested iaw the regulations)

Shuttle_Endeavour Aug 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 32588842)

Noting the very long hours associated with these duties, does the company do anything to help you get home safely after you land at LHR? Or are you left to your own judgment to navigate the M25 safely...?

Bohinjska Bistrica Aug 13, 2020 2:06 pm

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but didn't see the merit in a new thread. Are delays shown on Flight Radar usually accurate or are they often wrong?
​​​​​​
My flight tomorrow from NCE (BA0347) is showing an eight hour delay in FR24 but shows as on time in the BA app and on Heathrow Arrivals. FR24 is showing G-EUYG as the assigned aircraft and presumably is basing this on the aircraft being somewhere it's not meant to be or in for maintenance. Wishing I hadn't looked at FR24 to be honest!
​​​​
​​​​

Can I help you Aug 13, 2020 2:12 pm

Correct aircraft and on time.

Confus Aug 13, 2020 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour (Post 32602102)
Noting the very long hours associated with these duties, does the company do anything to help you get home safely after you land at LHR? Or are you left to your own judgment to navigate the M25 safely...?

It was detailed previously on here that all those flying these operations have volunteered to do them, they have to start their day within a short distance of LHR (using a hotel if they live too far away), and with an abundance of pilots onboard (7 where it would normally be 3). I interpret this such that the intention is to make it the other way round... so they can operate the flight safely and land back at LHR with a ‘normal’ level of tiredness, i.e. similar to that off a regular flight. All the efforts are designed to lead them to this point. So they’d be no more (or less) dangerous driving home than after any other flight.

T5ops Aug 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Deleted

Boeing77W Aug 14, 2020 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour (Post 32602102)

The company provide hotel accommodation at LHR the night before and the night after these extended duties.

Shuttle_Endeavour Aug 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Boeing77W (Post 32604105)
The company provide hotel accommodation at LHR the night before and the night after these extended duties.

Thanks for your reply. It’s good to see them considering fatigue after your duty as well as during.

Sigwx Aug 17, 2020 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour (Post 32604672)
Thanks for your reply. It’s good to see them considering fatigue after your duty as well as during.

It is a CAA requirement for the accommodation and most certainly not an act of goodwill. As such these operations are entirely voluntary for the pilots who operate them.

Waterhorse Aug 17, 2020 3:26 am

deleted

Waterhorse Aug 17, 2020 3:27 am

There is a wider issue regarding fatigue after a trip.

To what extent is the company responsible for your actions once you have left the airport?

For example, a long redeye with 2 pilots from Chicago, due to bad weather, discretion is exercised resulting in a duty that is as long as the LA flight which has 3 pilots. Those LA pilots achieve a couple of hours asleep on the way back from LA, the Chicago pilots get no bunk rest only catnaps overnight.

To what extent is, or should, the company be responsible for either set of pilots on their respective journies home? One of the LA pilot commutes by road to Manchester, the Chicago pilots each live 30 mins away.

Discuss.

Sigwx Aug 17, 2020 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 32609362)
There is a wider issue regarding fatigue after a trip.

To what extent is the company responsible for your actions once you have left the airport?

For example, a long redeye with 2 pilots from Chicago, due to bad weather, discretion is exercised resulting in a duty that is as long as the LA flight which has 3 pilots. Those LA pilots achieve a couple of hours asleep on the way back from LA, the Chicago pilots get no bunk rest only catnaps overnight.

To what extent is, or should, the company be responsible for either set of pilots on their respective journies home? One of the LA pilot commutes by road to Manchester, the Chicago pilots each live 30 mins away.

Discuss.

Let me quickly grab my popcorn for this one. 👌