FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

Heathrow Tower Mar 10, 2020 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by G-BUSI (Post 32166927)
There is a picture in the New Arrivals/Retirements thread of the flight deck of the soon to be retired G-CIVM. On the small plate that has the airline reg on it there are four letters underneath the reg BJ-GP. Can any of our staffers explain what these letters mean please?

It’s the SELCAL (Selective Calling) feature of HF radio communications. Rather than having to have the volume turned up and listen to atmospherics and static all the way across the Atlantic, for example, when ATC wanted to ‘chat’ they would ping the SELCAL code and a buzzer/bell would go off in the cockpit, prompting the crew to turn the volume of the HF radio up.

RB211 Mar 10, 2020 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower (Post 32167625)
It’s the SELCAL (Selective Calling( feature of HF radio communications. Rather than having to have the volume turned up and listen to atmospherics and static all the way across the Atlantic, for example, when ATC wanted to ‘chat’ they would ping the SELCAL code and a buzzer/bell would go off in the cockpit, prompting the crew to turn the volume of the HF radio up.

Love this thread! I learn something new (pretty much) every time I come here!

What is the logic to the SELCAL code that is allotted to a particular aircraft? (Assuming there is some... there usually is in aviation!)

rb211.

rapidex Mar 11, 2020 2:51 am

Originally Posted by RB211 (Post 32167649)
Love this thread! I learn something new (pretty much) every time I come here!

What is the logic to the SELCAL code that is allotted to a particular aircraft? (Assuming there is some... there usually is in aviation!)

rb211.

Its a random 4 letter code. It activates a bing bong chime similar to the cabin crew chime and an amber light illuminates.
Flying across the middle os Siberia one night we got a call, when answered it was engineering suggesting we operated the No2 engine at flight idle for the rest of the flight as they predicted it would fail in the next few hours. Very reassuring.
Fortunately it lasted until landing at London.

Globaliser Mar 11, 2020 2:58 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 32167985)
Flying across the middle os Siberia one night we got a call, when answered it was engineering suggesting we operated the No2 engine at flight idle for the rest of the flight as they predicted it would fail in the next few hours. Very reassuring.
Fortunately it lasted until landing at London.

That's wonderful stuff - impressive to hear about the theory, but even better to know that it works in practice.

rapidex Mar 11, 2020 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 32167999)
That's wonderful stuff - impressive to hear about the theory, but even better to know that it works in practice.

Back in the day, HAECO had a building the size of an aircraft hanger, with one wall covered in TV monitors with a couple of dozen guys watching the performance of the airborne aircraft.
Fast forward to today, it is a couple of guys in a small room with a computer terminal to do the same job.

G-BUSI Mar 11, 2020 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower (Post 32167625)
It’s the SELCAL (Selective Calling) feature of HF radio communications. Rather than having to have the volume turned up and listen to atmospherics and static all the way across the Atlantic, for example, when ATC wanted to ‘chat’ they would ping the SELCAL code and a buzzer/bell would go off in the cockpit, prompting the crew to turn the volume of the HF radio up.

Fantastic, thank you for your explanation.

Globaliser Mar 11, 2020 2:04 pm

Was there ever a time when JNB had four pilots on board? If there was, could a flight still have been operated legally if one of the pilots had gone sick before departure, leaving only three who could fly? (Ignoring, for these purposes, union agreements about crewing levels.)

Can I help you Mar 11, 2020 2:11 pm

I’m not a pilot but I think the answer is yes and yes.

rapidex Mar 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Can I Help You is correct.
With captains discretion LHR-JNB could be operated by 2 pilots.

Globaliser Mar 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Thank you very much, both of you!

LimitingFactor Jul 16, 2020 9:14 am

Hello! Was wondering if anyone in BA's fare department lurks here?

I asked a similar question in the Newquay thread a few weeks ago. I'm looking to book NQY->(LHR/LGW)->UVF for Feb next year. I can do so for EDI/GLA/MAN etc, but not NQY as there are no suitable fares in the system.

I have tried with the multi-city tool as well.

When would it be reasonable to expect these to be added? Will they be added at all - I wouldn't want to wait forever and then the flight fills (half term next Feb already looking a little busy!) In the worst case, I'll book as two separate PNR, but in these times it would be a little foolish to do so. Is there anyway an agent can put a request through for one to be added? (I did ask a BA Holiday agent who said 'no').

LF

alpha320 Jul 16, 2020 9:54 am

Originally Posted by LimitingFactor (Post 32535928)
Hello! Was wondering if anyone in BA's fare department lurks here?

I asked a similar question in the Newquay thread a few weeks ago. I'm looking to book NQY->(LHR/LGW)->UVF for Feb next year. I can do so for EDI/GLA/MAN etc, but not NQY as there are no suitable fares in the system.

I have tried with the multi-city tool as well.

When would it be reasonable to expect these to be added? Will they be added at all - I wouldn't want to wait forever and then the flight fills (half term next Feb already looking a little busy!) In the worst case, I'll book as two separate PNR, but in these times it would be a little foolish to do so. Is there anyway an agent can put a request through for one to be added? (I did ask a BA Holiday agent who said 'no').

LF

This is a known, ongoing, issue, due to the fares not being loaded, as you say. No date for a fix, probably very low down the priorities at the moment!

HarryHolden68 Aug 4, 2020 7:23 am

Question for ATC. I notice today that both runways were in use - 27R for landing and 27L for takeoff.
How hard will it be to go back to dual runway high intensity operations when they return?
As pilots and cabin crew have to maintain recency on their aircraft type, will there be time spent in the simulator to get back into the routine?

HarryHolden68 Aug 7, 2020 9:50 am

Following a timetable change, I need to rebook a BA Holidays flight. BA Holidays are currently on a 45 minute hold time, and have been all week. When I tried the flight only option, I was told they could not make the change and transferred me.
Do BA still maintain ticket desks in Terminal 5 where I can do this when I am there this week?

pennineuk Aug 7, 2020 11:30 am

One for the pilots. How do the COVID-19 cargo flights work when some countries are quarantining or prohibiting non-nationals from arriving? Do inbound crew fly out with the outbound crew? Do they sleep on board when landing or return within a few hours?