FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

Can I help you Jan 25, 2020 6:12 am

No they do not but I think that it is bad manners not to do so.

smiles in the aisles Jan 25, 2020 6:16 am

Originally Posted by ru55 (Post 31992800)
A long time lurker who finds place a font of knowledge!

I travel on BA flights most weeks, almost entirely domestically, so sit through over up to 100 safety demos each year. I work for a company that takes safety very seriously and so always pay the courtesy to BA staff to remove my headphones and listen to the safety demo. Indeed it is not the first time staff have thanked me for that courtesy. I have also sat beside BA staff who were positioning and who chose to completely ignored the safety demo and continue to listen to whatever was on their phone. On two occasions, at the end of the flight I have asked the BA staff as to whether their action sets the right tone for other passengers. My questioning seemed to come as complete surprise. Clearly the response may be that they know safety inside out but it is that complacency that could be a moment of regret at some time.

Do BA encourage non-working staff to set the right example and listen to safety demos?

ru55

Thank you for your courtesy in removing your headphones, it is appreciated by the crew. I don’t think off duty crew members are failing to set the “right tone” should they not watch the demonstration, after all, they are themselves the ones who demonstrate it day in day out. I think it would actually be quite silly for them to sit and watch it. It’s important of course, that we/they don’t disturb other customers during the demo.

Waterhorse Jan 25, 2020 7:52 am

Originally Posted by smiles in the aisles (Post 31992818)
Thank you for your courtesy in removing your headphones, it is appreciated by the crew. I don’t think off duty crew members are failing to set the “right tone” should they not watch the demonstration, after all, they are themselves the ones who demonstrate it day in day out. I think it would actually be quite silly for them to sit and watch it. It’s important of course, that we/they don’t disturb other customers during the demo.

If you don't respect yourself you will never be respected. If staff don't watch the safety video they have no right to expect others to. It is exceptionally poor manners and worse sets a dreadful example to passengers. It flies against everything that aviation has learned over its history, why do pilots use checklists? Because we know that the human memory is fallible, so we do it the same way from a checklist rather than relying on our memory. Those who see it otherwise are displaying a shocking lack of awareness of the impact of their behaviour on others. There is no official company policy on this because there was no requirement for it, in the same way that we do not mandate that we all breathe whilst at work. I'm shocked that there are such safety unaware staff members in BA

rapidex Jan 25, 2020 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 31993031)
If you don't respect yourself you will never be respected. If staff don't watch the safety video they have no right to expect others to. It is exceptionally poor manners and worse sets a dreadful example to passengers. It flies against everything that aviation has learned over its history, why do pilots use checklists? Because we know that the human memory is fallible, so we do it the same way from a checklist rather than relying on our memory. Those who see it otherwise are displaying a shocking lack of awareness of the impact of their behaviour on others. There is no official company policy on this because there was no requirement for it, in the same way that we do not mandate that we all breathe whilst at work. I'm shocked that there are such safety unaware staff members in BA

I quite agree. As an old pensioner I have spent a lifetime following check lists and watching safety demonstrations. I make sure I shut up and pay attention, and hope that those around me do the same.

smiles in the aisles Jan 25, 2020 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 31993031)
I'm shocked that there are such safety unaware staff members in BA

and I’m shocked at your (over)reaction. We stand thinking about and demonstrating the safety procedures up to 4 flights a day. If I am off duty on my 5th commuting flight home, yes of course I won’t be talking over it or being disrespectful, but likewise, I won’t necessarily watch Joana Lumley & co. intently as if it was my first viewing.

navylad Jan 25, 2020 10:23 am

On the BA 35X, the front wheel house cover has a red section saying no tow,, where do they attack the tug?

Jumbodriver Jan 25, 2020 10:36 am

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 31993425)
On the BA 35X, the front wheel house cover has a red section saying no tow,, where do they attack the tug?

Its a limit. ie the tow bar should not be turned sufficiently to be below the red paint.

Waterhorse Jan 25, 2020 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by smiles in the aisles (Post 31993406)
and I’m shocked at your (over)reaction. We stand thinking about and demonstrating the safety procedures up to 4 flights a day. If I am off duty on my 5th commuting flight home, yes of course I won’t be talking over it or being disrespectful, but likewise, I won’t necessarily watch Joana Lumley & co. intently as if it was my first viewing.

If you are in uniform commuting, people look to you to set an example. Your actions are a guide for the behaviour of others around you. It is irrelevant whether you could do the demo in your sleep, or not. if you act like safety doesn't matter, no one knows what your position is wrt safety demos, all they see is a disinterested member of crew acting like safety is not important. If one sees a poor example and adopt a laissez faire attitude toward safety then that is what gets remembered. We are examples of how we should behave when the safety demo is being played and it doesn't matter how many times you have heard it that day, when in front of the public we should act like it is important. It's called Leadership by Example.

Bullswood Jan 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Of course I have to agree with Waterhorse that an example should be set by the poor staff subjected to this, but I'm not sure that a tediously repeated comedy skit (with an off-message fund raising appeal) can be compared with a serious safety checklist.
I can see the original intent to engage first time flyers (who I guess are in most need of the briefing) but in my travels I've noted a very high degree of inattention from those who I perhaps incorrectly assume to be frequent flyers, as well as looks of incomprehension from non-British flyers. I certainly cringe in anticipation of being shouted at by David Walliams for the hundredth time from an A320 speaker just above my head. In my travels, I see many both basic and entertaining safety videos, some of which are beautifully made and a pleasure to watch repeatedly. On BA, I just wish for a fast-forward button.
Perhaps the "gorgeous" crew are just as fed up with the tired humour?

golfmad Jan 25, 2020 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bullswood (Post 31994620)
Of course I have to agree with Waterhorse that an example should be set by the poor staff subjected to this, but I'm not sure that a tediously repeated comedy skit (with an off-message fund raising appeal) can be compared with a serious safety checklist.
I can see the original intent to engage first time flyers (who I guess are in most need of the briefing) but in my travels I've noted a very high degree of inattention from those who I perhaps incorrectly assume to be frequent flyers, as well as looks of incomprehension from non-British flyers. I certainly cringe in anticipation of being shouted at by David Walliams for the hundredth time from an A320 speaker just above my head. In my travels, I see many both basic and entertaining safety videos, some of which are beautifully made and a pleasure to watch repeatedly. On BA, I just wish for a fast-forward button.
Perhaps the "gorgeous" crew are just as fed up with the tired humour?

I would argue that the quality of production is largely irrelevant. The video contains important safety information and should be watched by all. BA staff should set an example.

SpeedBird744 Jan 25, 2020 11:29 pm

LCY - JFK

Curious to know how the loads are on the London City - JFK route. I flew it back in 2011 to JFK one way and used my Avíos to pay for the flight. I remember there were only 6 of us on the flight.

It really was very special!!

Can I help you Jan 26, 2020 6:52 am

Nobody that has this information is going to pass it on as it’s is commercial sensitive.

IAMORGAN Jan 26, 2020 7:01 am

Am I right to think there has been a PA script change so that (amongst other things) the SCCM now does the after landing announcement (which has also been slightly re-jigged)? Just checking I’m paying attention!

MFCC Jan 26, 2020 7:03 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN (Post 31995972)
Am I right to think there has been a PA script change so that (amongst other things) the SCCM now does the after landing announcement (which has also been slightly re-jigged)? Just checking I’m paying attention!

Yep this is correct. SCCM does the welcome and the farewell. A main crew member does boarding, ready to depart and then 40 and 20 mins to landing (20 and 10 on shorthaul).

BAECAddict Jan 26, 2020 8:05 am

Non-loading of bags to INN

I flew LHR to INN on the BA684 yesterday (Saturday, 25 January) and the first text that greeted me when I turned my phone back on once we had landed at INN was one telling me that one of my bags hadn’t been loaded and giving me a lost bag tracing number. Several other people around me in the passport queue seemed to have received similar messages.

What I was curious about was whether this was simply a cock up (one of the baggage containers hadn’t been loaded) or intentional (the flight was pretty full of skiers and it occurred to me that between a full flight, possibly enough fuel to get to INN and back plus loads of ski gear, the plane would otherwise have been too heavy to take off - there certainly seemed to be quite a long take off run in my experience of 300+ A320 take offs as a passenger).

For bonus point I would love to know how they then decide to send the left-behind baggage on. My brother-in-law also had a bag missing, but that arrived later on the BA686 whereas mine is still somewhere between Heathrow and my current location in the Dolomites.