Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have never been worried in turbulence and outside of the meal service and actually enjoy it as it adds a bit of excitement to the day.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Are CC ever trained in any aspects of flight deck (eg how to work radios and other such tasks) in the event of one of Skipper or FO being incapacitated? Or is the expectation at that point always that the remaining member of the flight crew immediately diverts to nearest viable alternate and handles all the cockpit workload his / herself?

Just curious...
Essentially on LH where most trips have at least 3 pilots this is not so much of an issue. On SH or two crew trips any incapacitation is a MAYDAY and the remaining pilot will divert to the nearest suitable airfield - bear in mind this is nearest suitable in the opinion of the remaining pilot and their considerations will include such thisngs as familiarity etc it is not something that demands a land as soon as possible. However, they must also take into account the reasons for the incapacitation, food poisoning would lead to a more immediate landing than say a heart attack as the cause may still be something that affects the remaining pilot. Cabin Crew can help with all sorts of stuff but essentially it is fairly limited in nature, providing support for the last pilot.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Has there been an instance of flight crew requesting assistance from "any onboard pilots"? I imagine doing an autoland might come into play in the case of single-pilot operation to reduce the workload, rather than worry about the competence of a flight-sim/BAFT jockey!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by BoeBus
Has there been an instance of flight crew requesting assistance from "any onboard pilots"? I imagine doing an autoland might come into play in the case of single-pilot operation to reduce the workload, rather than worry about the competence of a flight-sim/BAFT jockey!
We wouldn’t do that. There are too many unknowns about the assistance offered
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Have any of the staff on here flown on other OW airlines in a personal capacity, especially in J, to compare to BA? I ask because we regularly see the comments on the q-suite and AA's 77w.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by offshore_bob
Have any of the staff on here flown on other OW airlines in a personal capacity, especially in J, to compare to BA? I ask because we regularly see the comments on the q-suite and AA's 77w.

Yes, QR J. Knocked the socks of off BA in J but there was a language barrier with my originally assigned crew member until a more “northern friendly” crew member was sourced ��

CX F, on par service wise i’d say apart from F&B in which case CX yet again........won

AA out of MAN.........NEVER Again!

surprised? No. Bonus targets are king in BA, customers...... god knows. But fear not, we don’t mess with safety.
our_kid and navylad like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

We wouldn’t do that. There are too many unknowns about the assistance offered
I remember reading a while back an account of something like this actually happening in the states on an internal flight. All very exciting and sensational until you drill down into the small print that the person assisting I think was an ex marine pilot who helped work the radios.

Still laudable, but as you say, the genuinely unknown scenario of taking a total stranger into the cockpit and taking on faith that they would be able to do what was required of them sounds in my limited experience like it might risk increasing, not decreasing both cockpit workload and therefore risk, for the remaining functional pilot.

Hence my Q around whether there was ever anything more formal in place within the airlines with CC staff.

Thanks for the colour
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by BoeBus
No-one who has seen video of my last go at Canarsie in November would want me assisting at this stage in my, ahem, 'development'... ;-)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx

Yes, QR J. Knocked the socks of off BA in J but there was a language barrier with my originally assigned crew member until a more “northern friendly” crew member was sourced ��

CX F, on par service wise i’d say apart from F&B in which case CX yet again........won

surprised? No. Bonus targets are king in BA, customers...... god knows. But fear not, we don’t mess with safety.
My AA out of Manchester resulted in me never travelling cw again. It was great, made ba cw look like economy minus
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx

Originally Posted by LPQ
Chocolates! Never seen or been offered any in F. If only on request what else are we missing and should ask for?
They used to be amazing but now a hotel de chocolate type offering
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:40 am

I always ask for the chocolates in order to get my monies worth. ��
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:21 pm

Do cabin crew have leeway to recommend an upgrade to friends and family when they are travelling? Can they ‘put a word in’ to the crew that Mr So and So in seat 46a is a family friend and if possible upgrade them? I’ve heard both yes and no answers about this - from two separate BA crew members.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo
Do cabin crew have leeway to recommend an upgrade to friends and family when they are travelling? Can they ‘put a word in’ to the crew that Mr So and So in seat 46a is a family friend and if possible upgrade them? I’ve heard both yes and no answers about this - from two separate BA crew members.
Happens all the time on AA. And no one asks, either. Cabin crew just do what they want. Probably to some extent enabled by the fact that there's no ISM, cabin crew lead, or similar on AA. No management of cabin crew at all.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

Essentially on LH where most trips have at least 3 pilots this is not so much of an issue. On SH or two crew trips any incapacitation is a MAYDAY and the remaining pilot will divert to the nearest suitable airfield - bear in mind this is nearest suitable in the opinion of the remaining pilot and their considerations will include such thisngs as familiarity etc it is not something that demands a land as soon as possible. However, they must also take into account the reasons for the incapacitation, food poisoning would lead to a more immediate landing than say a heart attack as the cause may still be something that affects the remaining pilot. Cabin Crew can help with all sorts of stuff but essentially it is fairly limited in nature, providing support for the last pilot.
Correspondingly, ATC treat a single crewed airliner following incapacitation as a ‘Full Emergency’, so full attendance upon landing, and ATC would do everything possible to ensure an approach as simple as possible, for example, possibly dedicating one frequency to this aircraft.
Waterhorse, flatlander and BoeBus like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:36 pm

Quick question : I notice one of the A380s - G-XLEB - flew to Manilla for likely tech. But this flew via LGW.
Any idea why it's gone via LGW?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.