FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

Globaliser Mar 3, 2019 6:56 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 30841820)
Its no different to the wet lease aircraft, with perhaps a Titan aircraft with a Speedbird callsign.

In such a case, would ATC tell another aircraft to follow the Titan, or to follow the Speedbird?

rapidex Mar 3, 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 30841939)
In such a case, would ATC tell another aircraft to follow the Titan, or to follow the Speedbird?

I would expect ATC to say follow the Titan A320, but if they were busy and made a mistake the average sharp F/O of the caliber BA employ would query it or ask for clarification.

Heathrow Tower Mar 3, 2019 9:47 am

We would generally only refer to the colours of the aircraft, so a BOAC 747, or Titan 757, or Air Belgium A340, and in fact we specifically mark such differences to the norm on the flight strip.

However, when we are at a critical point, such as a conditional line up clearance, we might say ‘behind the departing (airline) in (different) colours, line up and wait blah di blah....’, so that the crew we are giving that clearance to are not confused by seeing an Air Belgium A340 while they hear a Speedbird call sign.

SaraJH Mar 10, 2019 3:44 pm

Air sickness and crew (turbulence)

Firstly, huge apologies, I’ve done a search here and on google and can’t find the Ask the Crew thread.

I’ve read lots of posts today about the extreme wind and pax being sick, how do you crew train for this? If I’m on a lovely BA flight can I guarantee that the crew will be calm and not feeling sick? To be frank I couldn’t care less if the crew were being sick with me but it would be nice to know that they weren’t!

Just a note from one of the mods to say that the thread has been merged into the Ask the Crew thread after a kind FT member (thank you, you know who you are!) provided the link.
LTN Phobia, BA forum moderator

SaraJH Mar 10, 2019 3:49 pm

I do have a valid reason for asking this, I’m absolutely TERRIBLE when it comes to travel sickeness. I was once seasick on a boat that was gently bobbing around in Thailand whilst every one else was snorkelling :eek:

Can I help you Mar 10, 2019 3:51 pm

I have never even felt the slightest sick and I have been flying a very very long time, I’m guessing my body and especially my ears have adapted to the movement.

SaraJH Mar 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30870327)
I have never even felt the slightest sick and I have been flying a very very long time, I’m guessing my body and especially my ears have adapted to the movement.

That’s great to know. I do know that I’m in the minority but it’s comforting to know that the crew (sample of one lol) aren’t like me!

Can I help you Mar 10, 2019 3:59 pm

However I often feel sick if I try to read in a car or on a bus.

SaraJH Mar 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30870354)
However I often feel sick if I try to read in a car or on a bus.

That is interesting, I’m NEVER sick in a car but give me a boat and then it’s guaranteed, aircraft hmmm yes, if it’s bumpy!
what I find most interesting is that if I’m in Club World or Tesco First then I don’t feel turbulence at all, no idea if it has to do with the prone position or the alcohol!

Can I help you Mar 10, 2019 4:07 pm

I’m guessing alcohol. :D

SaraJH Mar 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Oh get away lol!

Seriously, I’ve done an in flight experiment (on more than one occasions) and turbulence is FAR less noticeable when one is prone! Honestly.

Mind you, that’s on ‘big plane equals less bumps” on a small aircraft I still feel it like every other poor delicate tummy passenger!
And of course, once one nearby person has been affected then it takes me a nanosecond.....bleurgh!

BingBongBoy Mar 10, 2019 6:25 pm

I never felt sick through turbulence when working at BA.

I have once in my new job on a ferry flight across the Atlantic, but our aircraft does feel turbulence a lot and it was prolonged with no way out of it, so after about 45 minutes I started to feel a little queasy.

MSPeconomist Mar 10, 2019 6:32 pm

It might be an urban legend, but some carriers reportedly give prospective cabin crew a very rough ride (either deliberately on an actual flight or in a simulator) as part of their training courses. If someone reacts badly, that recruit presumably would either drop out or flunk out.

BTW, I've always been told that turbulence is better toward the front of the aircraft, so this could explain why business class seems better this way.

LTN Phobia Mar 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by SaraJH (Post 30870320)
I do have a valid reason for asking this, I’m absolutely TERRIBLE when it comes to travel sickeness. I was once seasick on a boat that was gently bobbing around in Thailand whilst every one else was snorkelling :eek:

Not a crew member but have something to say about motion sickness in different situations.

Gentle bobbing around can be really bad for sea sickness, depending on how it is. Different sort of bobbing around can trigger motion sickness, or not! The worst I have felt (although I have never actually thrown up due to motion sickness in my life) was bobbing up and down (just basically stationery) on a trial sail off the coast of Australia in a catamaran and got completely becalmed. On the other hand, I have been in rough seas where other people felt pretty bad but I was fine though, and also other 'bobbing up and down' situation and felt perfectly OK.

On the other hand, on one of the very rough flights on a turboprop, I think I was the only person besides the crew members who did not throw up. :D My only annoyance was writing things was nearly impossible and I'd be behind with my work, and I also felt a bit queasy with the smell and sound (it's a different sort of queasiness from the motion-induced one), but not because of the motion.

Yet, put me in a road vehicle and drive in a slightly 'wrong' way (usually to do with unsteady speed control), and I would feel quite queasy...

Different motions affect different people differently, or even the same person differently. Even for the same person and the same kind of motion, it can sometimes make them feel bad or not (e.g. familiarisation, tiredness, food intake etc.).

In other words, don't psych yourself out. If you are worried, pop an anti-motion sickness tablet... They tend to be quite effective.

SQTraveller Mar 11, 2019 12:23 am

Originally Posted by SaraJH (Post 30870320)

I absolutely hate bobbing around in the water on a boat. I don't get motion sick immediately but I do eventually. I was also on a boat in Thailand and found that although I felt a bit queasy on the boat, once I jumped into the water I actually felt fine!

Waterhorse Mar 11, 2019 1:58 am

The nausea is caused by the way our brains work. We get most of our orientation from our vision, it is an incredibly powerful influence on how our brains perceive the world. We gain balance info from our inner ear. The inner ear is very good at detecting change provided the rate of change exceeds a certain threshold. Small, gentle accelerations below that threshold are not perceived and the subsequent correction to normal can be felt as a jolt in the opposite direction. Our vision then tells our brain this is not right and nausea ensues.

On aircraft, our vision tells us very little as all the reference points are fixed, it is the reference points, ie the internal structure of the fuselage that are moving as the aircraft moves, with no external visual clues to the movement then once again, nausea. It is why we tell people with sea sickness to go on deck and stare at the horizon, we give them a fixed visual reference point upon which the brain can then concentrate to marry the visual info with the inner ear data on movement. In a car or aircraft reading, ie generally having one’s head tilted down really adds another dimension to the confusion the brain has to rectify. I get motion sickness in a car f I’m in the back seat reading yet can fly aerobatics without the tiniest bit of nausea.

The inner ear has three semi circular canals all in different planes. Within those canals is a fluid, the density of which matches exactly the density of a small bone, the otolith which sits on some fine hairs. As we move our head, the otolith tends to stay in place due to inertia and thus bends the hairs which then sends a signal to our brain informing it of the motion. The fluid in the ear is very sensitive to alcohol, which changes the density and can cause the otolith to float and signals movement when none is present. This causes the spinning feeling when one is tipsy and lays down.

So so all these things add up to how we feel nausea on an aircraft. We have no sensible visual reference, we fool the semi circular canals with sub threshold accelerations, we place the semi circular canals in the “wrong” oreientaion by tilting the aircraft and we get rapid reversals in motion in turbulence.

Some are are more prone to nausea that others but the biggest two things to do to help are not to drink alcohol and not to put one’s head down at all - don’t read etc or work at a laptop or iPad.

MADPhil Mar 11, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30870880)
BTW, I've always been told that turbulence is better toward the front of the aircraft, so this could explain why business class seems better this way.

I was in row 1 on a flight a few weeks back which went through a prolonged bumpy patch and the FA cheered us up by saying that it would feel much worse further back.

xtra1 Mar 15, 2019 3:30 am

Sitting in the terrace of the CCR at this moment; just been watching those yellow driverless plane-tugs; pushing back planes.
Wondering if they are remote controlled or automatic? Never seen them used at other airports before.

PrivatePilotDR40 Mar 15, 2019 3:46 am

Originally Posted by xtra1 (Post 30889539)
Sitting in the terrace of the CCR at this moment; just been watching those yellow driverless plane-tugs; pushing back planes.
Wondering if they are remote controlled or automatic? Never seen them used at other airports before.

Im not a "staffer" or Airport worker, however, these are remotely controlled by the Ramp staff (not sure official title.). However, if you watch the push back you will see personnel walking alongside or close to the push back tug and he will have a controller around their neck. They then disconnect the nose steering pin and control the tug back to its space and show the pilots the disconnected pin.

alex67500 Mar 15, 2019 4:48 am

I have a question following BA182 last Monday. We received a text around 4pm telling us the flight would be delayed 2hrs (so 2:15am instead of 0:15). The Captain said the plane was hit by lightning when flying out of LHR on its way over to JFK and that meant some standard maintenance had to be performed.

What kinds of checks are performed in this case? It's pretty obvious that planes get hit by lightning all the time, and it was safe enough to carry on flying over the Atlantic, so I'm wondering if electrics have to be replaced / checked etc. Thanks.

EJetter Mar 15, 2019 5:03 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40 (Post 30889573)
Im not a "staffer" or Airport worker, however, these are remotely controlled by the Ramp staff (not sure official title.). However, if you watch the push back you will see personnel walking alongside or close to the push back tug and he will have a controller around their neck. They then disconnect the nose steering pin and control the tug back to its space and show the pilots the disconnected pin.

These are called Mototoks

1010101 Mar 15, 2019 5:11 am

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 30889682)
I have a question following BA182 last Monday. We received a text around 4pm telling us the flight would be delayed 2hrs (so 2:15am instead of 0:15). The Captain said the plane was hit by lightning when flying out of LHR on its way over to JFK and that meant some standard maintenance had to be performed.

What kinds of checks are performed in this case? It's pretty obvious that planes get hit by lightning all the time, and it was safe enough to carry on flying over the Atlantic, so I'm wondering if electrics have to be replaced / checked etc. Thanks.

Depends on the severity. Most important is to find the entry and exit points and then go from there, looking for visible damage and checking the various aircraft systems. There might be nothing or there could be extensive damage. A good friend of mine flying a G650 was grounded for months whilst they fixed the aircraft after a strike.

This is a good summary of what must happen after a strike:

https://www.boeing.com/commercial/ae...les/2012_q4/4/

KARFA Mar 15, 2019 5:11 am

Originally Posted by xtra1 (Post 30889539)

yes there is an operator who drives it using a remote control console

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...921/g0yTRZ.jpg

Some more information in this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...push-back.html

flatlander Mar 15, 2019 7:45 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 30871078)
If you are worried, pop an anti-motion sickness tablet... They tend to be quite effective.

Indeed, my partner swears by them for driving.

However, do try them out beforehand. In particular beware of Hyoscine which can cause some quite "trippy" feelings in some people. Feeling like you've taken a hallucinogen may not be the effect you are after, and finding this out when you're stuck in an aircraft could be unpleasant. Meanwhile, some others are quite sedative, so that is another thing you may or may not want to deal with. Try them out on the ground first to check the side-effects before you try them in the aircraft, vehicle, or watercraft to check their effectiveness for you.

Bluecardholder Mar 15, 2019 7:48 am

This happened to me once coming back from TXL - we were in the Northern stack over Essex and then flew to the Southern Stack over Biggin Hill. The reason given was icing issues. HTH

MADPhil Mar 16, 2019 5:08 am

There was a discussion of this on FT a while back and of the 787. There is a video of the effect of a simulated strike on the fuselage skin with and without a thin metal layer which is built in. The effect on the unprotected carbon fibre was quite destructive but it looked as if even the protected version would require a local repair.

Geo772 Mar 16, 2019 5:19 am

The aircraft manual details a whole series of inspections that need to be performed. These vary from checks of electrical equipment, radios, navigation equipment etc to a visual check of the external fuselage. Many of the equipment checks can actually be performed by the flight crew in flight after the suspected lightning strike. This substantially speeds up the inspection process. Any visible damage on the fuselage is assessed against limits specified in the structural repair manual. In most situations the aircraft can fly straight away without the need for any repair work to be performed. In the case of the B787 a temporary repair using aluminium (speed) tape is often made. This is to protect the exposed carbon fuselage from UV light rather than to hold anything together. More serious lightning strikes can result in the need to replace rivets or perform skin repairs but these are rarer situations.

BOH Mar 25, 2019 5:55 am

Anyone in the know aware of the reason for two flight diversions last week on my regular LGW-GOA route? Sitting here in the GOA lounge as the flight to LGW today is delayed due to industrial action here at the airport between 10:00 and 14:00 CET.

So I was idly looking on flightradar at the historic position on this flight for the last week and noticed on 18th March the 2688 LGW to GOA was diverted to MXP and on the 21st it was diverted to PSA. But out here for the past week the weather has been near perfect so simply out of curiosity I wondered why the 2 diversions as have never known this before (except for weather related issues)?

Can I help you Mar 25, 2019 6:06 am

I believe that they were diverted due to industrial action.

BOH Mar 25, 2019 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30926791)

Ok thanks - makes sense given the weather here has been lovely. But in my experience, strikes in Italy tend to be national (as is the one today we were told between 10:00 and 14:00). So puzzled why the flight were able to divert to other Italian airports, unless of course the strikes last week were local to the Genoa area?

Another "out of curiosity question", what happens to the pax on those diverted flights? Do they get off at MXP / PSA and then get bussed to GOA by BA to complete their journey? With the corresponding departing pax at GOA bussed the other way to the diversion airport?

Or does the plane wait on the tarmac at the diversion airport until GOA opens (with all pax on board) and then continue on as usual? I think I know the answer but just wondered......

Can I help you Mar 25, 2019 6:21 am

It will depend if the airport is reopening or not, they may coach customers to and from the diversion airport.

BOH Mar 25, 2019 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30926829)
It will depend if the airport is reopening or not, they may coach customers to and from the diversion airport.

Ok thank you

BOH Mar 25, 2019 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30926791)

Whilst queuing to board for the (increasingly delayed) BA2689 today from GOA-LGW a couple of other pax have mentioned that both flights last week were diverted to PSA and MXP respectively due to the crosswinds at GOA. Both pax I spoke to were on the two flights and there were 2 attempts on both days before the diverts. One said that one of the pilots stood by the flight deck door whilst everyone was getting off, (as they often do) and pax were having a go at him for not having completed the landing at GOA. Unbelievable :td::td:

Can I help you Mar 25, 2019 8:31 am

My apologies if I misinformed you, I seem to remember reading about these diversions but it seems I was wrong.

BOH Mar 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30927311)
My apologies if I misinformed you, I seem to remember reading about these diversions but it seems I was wrong.

No worries!

alpha320 Mar 25, 2019 3:05 pm

deleted

alpha320 Mar 25, 2019 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi (Post 30746635)
One for pilots: On aircraft with multiple fuel tanks, will the computers automatically switch to a full tank when the current one being drawn from is empty, or does the changeover have to be done manually?

All automatic! On the Airbus we have a section on the overhead panel for Fuel, but we very rarely make selections apart from on the ground. There are 2 fuel pumps in each tank (Left wing, Centre, Right wing) and a Manual/Auto selector. The normal selection is to have all pumps on and the system in automatic mode. This uses fuel from the centre tank first (keeping fuel in the wings helps reduce the strain from flexing) and then feeds each engine from its respective wing tank. If we end up with an imbalance of fuel we can switch off pumps on one side to help balance the load. The manual/automatic switch just allows us to control whether or not we use the fuel in the centre tank. In the event of an electrical failure fuel is fed by gravity to the engines from their respective left or right tanks! Clever, huh!

alpha320 Mar 25, 2019 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by SaraJH (Post 30870305)
Firstly, huge apologies, I’ve done a search here and on google and can’t find the Ask the Crew thread.

I’ve read lots of posts today about the extreme wind and pax being sick, how do you crew train for this? If I’m on a lovely BA flight can I guarantee that the crew will be calm and not feeling sick? To be frank I couldn’t care less if the crew were being sick with me but it would be nice to know that they weren’t!

Just a note from one of the mods to say that the thread has been merged into the Ask the Crew thread after a kind FT member (thank you, you know who you are!) provided the link.
LTN Phobia, BA forum moderator

As flight crew we try a few things to help smooth out the ride for you! Each aircraft type has published a "turbulence penetration" speed, which we target to help reduce the intensity and give us greater margin on our speed between maximum and minimum. (this margin reduces with altitude so the main risk of turbulence is going too fast!) On the Airbus this is Mach 0.76. Despite this, the aeroplane is more than capable of flying through even the most severe turbulence. Often there is no obvious cause so it is hard to avoid, but sometimes ATC give us a heads up about reports from aircraft ahead. These reports help us decide if we want to descend, climb or turn to find smoother air. The place you'll feel turbulence the least is over the wings, nearest the centre of gravity, as the whole aeroplane is pivoting around. You'll feel it most at the rear as the horizontal stabiliser moves frequently to maintain our intended flight path. Up front is also better than at the back! For this reason we ask cabin crew at the rear to be our eyes and ears for the seat belt sign! Hope this helps!

RB211 Mar 25, 2019 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by alpha320 (Post 30928879)
All automatic! ... In the event of an electrical failure fuel is fed by gravity to the engines from their respective left or right tanks! Clever, huh!

Great information - thanks! Is the gravity feed backup from the left and right tanks another reason why the center tank is used first?

rb211.

Waterhorse Mar 26, 2019 4:45 am

Originally Posted by RB211 (Post 30929894)
Great information - thanks! Is the gravity feed backup from the left and right tanks another reason why the center tank is used first?

rb211.

We use fuel from the centre section to relieve the load on the wings. the fuel weight in the wings helps to reduce the bending moment and consequent stress on the wing section.