Ask the staffer

Old Jun 5, 2024, 7:32 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've seen the same situation a few times recently where a tablet with a keyboard (same size overall as a laptop) is OK to be used for takeoff and landing as long as the keyboard is detached.

It is clearly the letter rather than the spirit of the regulations as the large tablets are just as likely to cause significant injury as my Macbook Air if flying through the cabin.

However my Macbook has an integral keyboard so has to be stowed whereas the tablet doesn't. I accept that the line has to be drawn somewhere even if it appears illogical.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I've seen the same situation a few times recently where a tablet with a keyboard (same size overall as a laptop) is OK to be used for takeoff and landing as long as the keyboard is detached.

It is clearly the letter rather than the spirit of the regulations as the large tablets are just as likely to cause significant injury as my Macbook Air if flying through the cabin.

However my Macbook has an integral keyboard so has to be stowed whereas the tablet doesn't. I accept that the line has to be drawn somewhere even if it appears illogical.
It's more the fact that a tablet is likely to be held securely (with two hands in the case of larger, heavier ones) whereas a laptop or tablet with keyboard attached is more likely to be on a lap or held with one hand so more likely to go flying in an emergency situation.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 12:47 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Gold - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - Virgin/Sky Team Gold / Hillman Imp
Originally Posted by EJetter
It's more the fact that a tablet is likely to be held securely (with two hands in the case of larger, heavier ones) whereas a laptop or tablet with keyboard attached is more likely to be on a lap or held with one hand so more likely to go flying in an emergency situation.
Which in the picture example I've posted takes us back to this.
The person is "holding" their phone in their hand while resting their laptop/tablet on their lap (Baby Reindeer on Netflix).
Paid zero attention to safety briefing while keeping ear buds in, If I'd have been crew I would have made the point and had it stowed.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pmcg
Which in the picture example I've posted takes us back to this.
The person is "holding" their phone in their hand while resting their laptop/tablet on their lap (Baby Reindeer on Netflix).
Paid zero attention to safety briefing while keeping ear buds in, If I'd have been crew I would have made the point and had it stowed.
Which happens on every single flight Ive been on since tablets were invented, other misdemeanours include standing up before the seat belt sign has been switched off, using the wrong toilet, not putting phone into flight safe mode and countless other non adherences. There are limited cabin crew on flights and they are sat down doing other tasks at departure/landing, if passengers chose to ignore the rules thats their choice sadly. It shouldnt happen but does, push the call button or challenge the miscreant if your that concerned.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I was on G-EUUD the other day, an A320, and sat in 11D I spotted something I've not noticed before - some small blue lights on the aisle seats. They were only present up to row 11 (couldn't see if they ran forward of the CE curtain) but seemed to have no consistency as to which ones were illuminated or not - 9D was lit, but 9C was not. And I'm sure 11C switched off mid-flight. What are these lights and what do they mean?!

Old Jun 7, 2024, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It shows that row has an appliance plugged in.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It shows that row has an appliance plugged in.
Amazing, thank you and explains why I couldn't work it out visually. Why do they only extend to row 11 though? 11 was an exit row (which had them), but so was 12 (which doesn't have them).
Old Jun 7, 2024, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They are on all rows.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 1:13 pm

They are on all rows.
Ooh, okay. I couldn't see them further back but will be more observant next time! Thank you.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 5:06 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
I am sure this has been asked before, but what happens if a plane goes technical at a far flung place that BA has nothing at such as, for example, Sofia - do they have some local mechanics on retainer or do some BA boffins fly out on the following day's flight?
Old Jun 16, 2024, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
I am sure this has been asked before, but what happens if a plane goes technical at a far flung place that BA has nothing at such as, for example, Sofia - do they have some local mechanics on retainer or do some BA boffins fly out on the following day's flight?
Most stations don't have a BA presence - indeed there's no BA Line Maintenance presence throughout Europe anymore, with the exception of Madrid, thanks to Walsh, Mahoney and Cruz - but there'll be contracts in place. There will be outfits like SR Technics, AF-KL Engineering, Nayak, or the local large hub carrier. They'd be contracted to carry out routine checks, e.g. the night stopping services requiring a daily check, and then they'll be "on call".

Then there might be stations operated "at risk", especially small ones with very infrequent service. In those cases, support will come from a nearby station. For instance, for a while Verona was served from LGW (or might still be? can't be bothered to check) and support would come from the VCE station.

Longhaul stations are slightly different. Many have BA engineers, or IB ones, rated on BA aircraft; others have local contracts.

Finally, in very specific instances (for BA it's mostly the inter-Caribbean hops, BMI did more of this, especially for Africa and Central Asia/Caucasus) there are the so-called flying spanners, whio travel with the planes and have some tools and spares in the hold.

BA has a "casualty" team based in Westbase who flies out to fix particularly bad cases, such as engine changes and the like.
Jimmie76, Lynyrd, catmndu and 4 others like this.

Last edited by 13901; Jun 17, 2024 at 1:22 am
Old Jun 16, 2024, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
They are on all rows.
. at least at all rows that have power. All too often, I find myself on the reserve 320 from Gatwick without any power in Row 1. 🤯
Old Jun 17, 2024, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by 13901

Finally, in very specific instances (for BA it's mostly the inter-Caribbean hops, BMI did more of this, especially for Africa and Central Asia/Caucasus) there are the so-called flying spanners, whio travel with the planes and have some tools and spares in the hold.

BA has a "casualty" team based in Westbase who flies out to fix particularly bad cases, such as engine changes and the like.
So, in the first instance, would the "flying spanners" be on every flight ex-London, or just fly from say Antigua to Tobago if there was a problem with a plane in TAB?

Regarding the latter - I recall clearly my dad suddenly appearing in uniform one Sunday, to say he was flying out to MoBay to do an engine change, As a c.10 year old, the only Montego I'd heard of was an Austin!

BA or bust likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
So, in the first instance, would the "flying spanners" be on every flight ex-London, or just fly from say Antigua to Tobago if there was a problem with a plane in TAB?

Regarding the latter - I recall clearly my dad suddenly appearing in uniform one Sunday, to say he was flying out to MoBay to do an engine change, As a c.10 year old, the only Montego I'd heard of was an Austin!
The "spanner" is a local engineer, based in one of the islands. He/she flies out with the plane and back on the same day.

The casualty team have some interesting stories to tell, I remember one day turning up to work in TBC in Westbase and seeing a big Antonov 124 parked outside TBA. They were loading an A380 engine, inclusive of engine nacelle and crown, to fix one that had been hit by a jetty in MIA...
Old Jun 27, 2024, 11:03 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
A question about LHR take off directions.- I am just being curious, but with a hint of self interest.
I seem to remember that with a Westerly take off, if a BA plane was then planning to turn right - head in a Northerly direction, then they waited until Taplow lake before turning. Recently I have noticed planes turning right well before Taplow.
Is this a real change, or am I missing something?
Personal interest is that if they turn any earlier, they will be over my house!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.