Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Current methods to check fare/booking class availability:
If you are requesting flight load / class availability, please provide the following:
1. Actual travel date (don't say tomorrow, or similar, as that is ambiguous given the global flyertalk membership)
2. Departure and arrival airport codes
3. Flight number
Thanks!
Print Wikipost

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Arrow Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

This is community help desk which allows members to assist each other in finding out how many seats are available on any given flight. The previous thread (now archived) can be found here: Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

If you wish to request availability for a specific flight, please state the date and origin/departure airport codes, not just the flight number.
Important
Please also restrict requests to BA/oneworld flights - flights for other airlines may be removed to avoid cluttering the thread and taking it away from BAEC.
As of 15 Oct 2014 flightstats.com no longer displays flight availability.

Fare class availability can be queried in various ways*:
* Please update wiki if you know of any others.
** Origin of data concealed and probably unauthorised (so buyer beware)

What do the codes mean?
Suppose we have a result as F1 A0 J9 C7 D0 RC IC W9 E9 T4 Y9 BC HC ...

This means:
There is 1 seat in the F bucket for sale
There are 0 seats in the A and D bucket for sale, but you can join the waitlist in case seats get released later.
There are at least 9 seats in the J, W, E and Y buckets.
The R, I, B and H buckets are closed to waitlisting.

There are two important things to note about how to interpret these numbers that many people don't understand as it is very counter intuitive:
  • There is NO direct relation to the actual number of seats available on the specific flight. They only mean that the airline is willing to sell this many seats on that specific flight. The airline may intend to oversell seats or withhold seats from sale for many reasons.
  • In the example above, the results show W9 E9 T4 (which are all WT+ buckets). This does not mean that there are 9+9+4=22 seats for sale. Interpret these numbers as "there are at least 9 seats for sale in WT+". There could really be anywhere between 9 and 22 seats for sale - we just can't tell from the numbers the system gives us. Therefore, the conservative approach of assuming that there are at least 9 seats for sale is usually the best one.

What does the "C" mean?
Closed to waitlisting.
In the example above we have RC, IC, BC and HC. This is different to A0 and D0: The A and D buckets are "full" but you can apply to join their waitlists (if your fare permits waitlisting). With R, I, B and H you cannot even request a seat.

The carrier will determine how to confirm your seat if it wishes. Sometimes this may happen immediately, other times only a few minutes before the flight's departure. The order of the waitlist is determined by the carrier privately, but your Executive Club status will push you towards the front of the queue. Many cheap fares do not allow waitlisting.

Differences for non-BA airlines
  • Some carriers (those using Sabre such as AA) only show a maximum of 7 available seats (not 9). Others only show a maximum of 5.
  • Some carriers use "L" instead of "0" (e.g., CL DL YL) to indicate you may waitlist for the seat. This tends to happen when the entire flight is on a list basis.
UK_CKK_HK likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:35 am

Hi,

Could someone be so kind as to let me know the availability on:

BA460
LHR-MAD
Jan 27

Thanks!

Last edited by mrkflyer; Jan 5, 2019 at 8:31 am Reason: Added airport codes. Thanks Brighterside!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by mrkflyer
Hi,

Could someone be so kind as to let me know the availability on BA460 on Jan 27?

Thanks!
mrkflyer - hope someone will be along soon to help but please note the comment from Prospero as to how to request availability to help anyone checking the details for you..............If you wish to request availability for a specific flight, please state the date and origin/departure airport codes, not just the flight number.

For example:-

Please can anyone check for my following trip:
16 January 2019
LHR-AUH
BA73

Many thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Hello,

Could someone check the following please:

07 Jan 19
LHR - PRG
BA856

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Hi

in addition to the open requests, can someone please check for me 9th Jan BA138 BOM-LHR?

many thanks
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:00 am

Could somebody please check for BA2158 on 15th May 2019 from UVF to LGW

Many Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold

Here you go!

J9 C9 D8 R5 I0 W2 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G4
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Originally Posted by mrkflyer
hi,

could someone be so kind as to let me know the availability on:

Ba460
lhr-mad
jan 27

thanks!
j9 c8 d3 r9 i9 y9 b9 h9 k9 m9 l9 v9n9 o0 q9 s9 g9
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84
Hello,

Could someone check the following please:

07 Jan 19
LHR - PRG
BA856

Thanks.
Just now:
J9 C0 D0 R9 I0 Y9 B4 H1 K0 M0 L0 V0N0 O0 Q9 S6 G9
krispy84 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by kosy91
Hi

in addition to the open requests, can someone please check for me 9th Jan BA138 BOM-LHR?

many thanks
Interesting one:
F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
kosy91 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Prospero
This is community help desk which allows members to assist each other in finding out how many seats are available on any given flight. The previous thread (now archived) can be found here: Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

If you wish to request availability for a specific flight, please state the date and origin/departure airport codes, not just the flight number.
Important
Please also restrict requests to BA/oneworld flights - flights for other airlines may be removed to avoid cluttering the thread and taking it away from BAEC.
As of 15 Oct 2014 flightstats.com no longer displays flight availability.

Fare class availability can be queried in various ways*:
* Please update wiki if you know of any others.
** Origin of data concealed and probably unauthorised (so buyer beware)

What do the codes mean?
Suppose we have a result as F1 A0 J9 C7 D0 RC IC W9 E9 T4 Y9 BC HC ...

This means:
There is 1 seat in the F bucket for sale
There are 0 seats in the A and D bucket for sale, but you can join the waitlist in case seats get released later.
There are at least 9 seats in the J, W, E and Y buckets.
The R, I, B and H buckets are closed to waitlisting.

There are two important things to note about how to interpret these numbers that many people don't understand as it is very counter intuitive:
  • There is NO direct relation to the actual number of seats available on the specific flight. They only mean that the airline is willing to sell this many seats on that specific flight. The airline may intend to oversell seats or withhold seats from sale for many reasons.
  • In the example above, the results show W9 E9 T4 (which are all WT+ buckets). This does not mean that there are 9+9+4=22 seats for sale. Interpret these numbers as "there are at least 9 seats for sale in WT+". There could really be anywhere between 9 and 22 seats for sale - we just can't tell from the numbers the system gives us. Therefore, the conservative approach of assuming that there are at least 9 seats for sale is usually the best one.

What does the "C" mean?
Closed to waitlisting.
In the example above we have RC, IC, BC and HC. This is different to A0 and D0: The A and D buckets are "full" but you can apply to join their waitlists (if your fare permits waitlisting). With R, I, B and H you cannot even request a seat.

The carrier will determine how to confirm your seat if it wishes. Sometimes this may happen immediately, other times only a few minutes before the flight's departure. The order of the waitlist is determined by the carrier privately, but your Executive Club status will push you towards the front of the queue. Many cheap fares do not allow waitlisting.

Differences for non-BA airlines
  • Some carriers (those using Sabre such as AA) only show a maximum of 7 available seats (not 9). Others only show a maximum of 5.
  • Some carriers use "L" instead of "0" (e.g., CL DL YL) to indicate you may waitlist for the seat. This tends to happen when the entire flight is on a list basis.
In the W9 E9 T4 example, there could also be more than 22 = 9 + 9 + 4 seats for sale, since for example W9 would mean that BA is willing to sell 24 more W class seats, etc. Since airlines overbook, the maximum isn't even limited by the number of seats in the cabin (in this case, WT+) on the aircraft. It just means that there are at least 9 seats for sale, not that the number of seats for sale must be between 9 and 22 inclusive.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:30 pm

Can someone please check

7JAN, BA268 (LAX-LHR).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by b747forever
can someone please check

7jan, ba268 (lax-lhr).

f1 a0 j9 c0 d0 r0 i0 w9 e0 t0 y9 b9 h7 k4 m3 l3 v3 s0 n0 q0 o0 g9
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca

f1 a0 j9 c0 d0 r0 i0 w9 e0 t0 y9 b9 h7 k4 m3 l3 v3 s0 n0 q0 o0 g9
Thanks for the quick reply.

Booked in WTP (W-class) on AA ticket stock. Hoping for an upgrade Flew LHR-LAX a couple of weeks ago and was upgraded WTP-CW!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by email2markt
Interesting one:
F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
Oh wow... So no upgrade chances but some people are likely to get bumped off...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.