No Johnnie Walker Blue Label in First

Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by endoman
Twas my birthday yesterday so I had these 5 Single Casks to try, and drank along with the virtual tasting I found in Facebook. Very good it was as well!

https://www.smws.com/35th-anniversar...discovery-pack
I hope whoever got them for you bought it via the BA Shopping portal to earn 6 avios per pound!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mordac
I hope whoever got them for you bought it via the BA Shopping portal to earn 6 avios per pound!
Sadly not, but will look for that in the future as I'm now a member again.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, if only BA would source a few remaining bottles of Port Ellen...

I must say I'm also a member of the "why on earth is JW Blue ever popular?!" club but to each their taste and preferences of course!
Well I've got a bottle of the second release that's sat unopened for the past 10 or so years. If BA would like to make me a decent offer...
eponymous_coward and orbitmic like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mordac
The SMWS is on the BA portal?!?! Wow - why didn’t I know this before now?!!
squawk likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

The SMWS is on the BA portal?!?! Wow - why didn’t I know this before now?!!
Also check out The Whisky Barrel - 5 Avios per Pound.
Scots_Al and argonath like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Also check out The Whisky Barrel - 5 Avios per Pound.
The Drink Supermarket as well!
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
This amused me when over in the states the other month. Note the difference in price between the Famous Grouse and 12 year old Glenlivet!

Also the differential with Highland Park, both the 12 and 18yr!
gliderpilot likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
It was the blended whiskeys that helped the Scottish whiskey business boom, after years of decline.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
It's easy to like Johnny Walker Blue. It's very hard not to. It's a simple whiskey that requires no palette at all to appreciate. There's no burn, no strong flavours, just a long gentle "whiskey" taste that anyone can drink and enjoy.

If drinking it neat doesn't appeal: I recommend using a highball glass, 1 ice-cube, a double shot of JWB, and fill it up with sparkling water. I call it an "Apple Juice" because of its colour.

While I like a variety of peaty Scottish single malts, my staple is now the Naked Grouse that Scots_Al mentions above. Can't go past it. Simple, easy, and much cheaper than the midrange single malts I think are its equal.

Let's be honest: Low-end single malts and low-end blends are just as bad as each other. Find something you like and drink it.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
I'm another one who has never understood the fuss about JW Blue, but each to their own. Whenever I'm in the GLA lounge, I make a beeline for the double oaked Woodford Reserve ! An awesome wee dram !
dodgeflyer and etiene like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
If it is from Scotland it is WHISKY not whiskEy!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by johnaalex
If it is from Scotland it is WHISKY not whiskEy!
Pedant alert. Whisky rather than WHISKY.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula
Pedant alert. Whisky rather than WHISKY.
The capitals were to emphasise the spelling.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:46 am

There was no JW Blue available on BA286 (SFO-LHR) on 2nd January either. (Excellent) steward very apologetic, I had the Glenlivet instead, but I missed the richness and smoothness of the JWB. Steward said he didn't know if it had all been drunk on the way out, or simply not loaded. They also had no Chablis (instead a substitute), and the herb tuile on my blackcurrant dome was missing, which was attributable to the supplier as the dessert comes pre-prepared. Details, as otherwise had an excellent flight with great service.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
There was no JW Blue available on BA286 (SFO-LHR) on 2nd January either. (Excellent) steward very apologetic, I had the Glenlivet instead, but I missed the richness and smoothness of the JWB. Steward said he didn't know if it had all been drunk on the way out, or simply not loaded. They also had no Chablis (instead a substitute), and the herb tuile on my blackcurrant dome was missing, which was attributable to the supplier as the dessert comes pre-prepared. Details, as otherwise had an excellent flight with great service.
Did your steward remember his white jacket? 😉

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.