BA in the media 2019

Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Article in the Daily Mail in which the writer, who doesn’t seem to be much of a frequent flyer, flies F to JNB and back in economy. Even he picks up on the cheap wine BA serve in F. I’d say the journalistic quality is pretty low, but it’s always interesting to read the report of someone who’s not a jaded, experienced traveller.

Inside BA's Ł2.8k A380 FIRST CLASS suite then flying back in ECONOMY
https://mol.im/a/6805131
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Article in the Daily Mail in which the writer, who doesn’t seem to be much of a frequent flyer, flies F to JNB and back in economy. Even he picks up on the cheap wine BA serve in F. I’d say the journalistic quality is pretty low, but it’s always interesting to read the report of someone who’s not a jaded, experienced traveller.

Inside BA's Ł2.8k A380 FIRST CLASS suite then flying back in ECONOMY
https://mol.im/a/6805131
That is a surprisingly - and pleasingly - positive review of the product.

And I don't think the journalistic quality is at all low - it's a casual, first-hand account of a trip on an aeroplane. The writer's enthusiasm comes through clearly.
HMPS, T8191, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC
BA & Ryanair in the same article - not sure who comes out best - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...backfires.html
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
In-depth interview with Alex Cruz in Business Traveller: https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...5ab6-162913437

Topics covered include:
- aircraft cleaning (apparently it's better now on short haul and will be on long haul - "It has not been about cutting costs, it has been about spending money wisely")
- punctuality (pretty good apparently)
- call centres (they'll be getting new technology)
- how wifi on board will improve customer service for IRROPS
- BoB on short haul (still looking at if and how they can offer free drinks to status pax, pre-order is "an area of interest", they may look at introducing an allowance into some tickets)
- no change in policy for paid seat selection
- T5 lounge refurb on the radar but no fixed dates
- possibly a couple more long haul planes at LGW
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by cosmo74
In-depth interview with Alex Cruz in Business Traveller: https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/03/21/british-airways-ceo-says-investments-are-showing-results/?utm_source=Business+Traveller+International+Newsl etter&utm_campaign=77066b5ab6-Your_weekly_business_travel_briefing+Mar+28&utm_me dium=email&utm_term=0_0f9ce7ba66-77066b5ab6-162913437

Topics covered include:
- aircraft cleaning (apparently it's better now on short haul and will be on long haul - "It has not been about cutting costs, it has been about spending money wisely")
- punctuality (pretty good apparently)
- call centres (they'll be getting new technology)
- how wifi on board will improve customer service for IRROPS
- BoB on short haul (still looking at if and how they can offer free drinks to status pax, pre-order is "an area of interest", they may look at introducing an allowance into some tickets)
- no change in policy for paid seat selection
- T5 lounge refurb on the radar but no fixed dates
- possibly a couple more long haul planes at LGW
Interesting regarding free drinks for Golds:

We ran the test because it’s important to see if we can deliver it in terms of space in the galley.
And

It’s complicated though. If you are Gold sitting in a B or E seat for instance (a middle seat on short haul), and you’re not with anybody, and then cabin crew offer you a free drink, that could create an uncomfortable situation for some people, so we have to manage the process. Maybe if you’re a Gold passenger, there’s a swipe of your card but there’s no charge. It’s not a control mechanism, more a recognition that not everyone wants to boast about being a Gold passenger and not care about the passenger on either side of them.
Both sound like excuses. AY does just fine. And why on earth would a Gold sit in a middle seat anyway?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:57 am

LHR T5 voted 'top terminal' - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...-terminal.html
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by florens
And why on earth would a Gold sit in a middle seat anyway?
Last minute booking or same day change? Middle in row 6 better than aisle in row 25?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:15 pm

Toxic cabin air!

As per the BBC story (link below) Unite, the union, are claiming pilots and cabin crew are regularly exposed to toxic fumes during flights. (I am not sure how passengers are not exposed?! Maybe it’s the prolonged continuous periods)

The Unite union said legal notice has been served in 51 cases, the majority of which are against British Airways.

British Airways responded that "none of the substantial research conducted over many years" had shown a link between cabin air quality and ill-health.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47740523
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:06 pm

BA YouTube Channel

Uploaded today on BA’s channel on YouTube, a video about the JV & IAG brands across the Atlantic.

YouTube British Airways

https://youtu.be/g17sGyHQbJI
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:42 am

Britain’s ‘Superbrands’

The Times today has article about the annual Business Superbrands Survey. It’s mostly about Apple so I won’t paste the copy but here’s the ‘Top 20’

BA retained there No.4 spot for this years survey, one behind Emirates.

DeathSlam likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:43 am

There's a truly damning article in today's Guardian.

BA upgrade: ‘We paid a lot and feel totally ripped off’

Is it worth spending Ł1,000 to upgrade a basic flight ticket to a seat in premium economy? Not if you are on a British Airways flight from Costa Rica to London, according to one Guardian Money reader angry at the quality he got for his money.

[The passengers] spent Ł1,940 to upgrade to premium economy for a trip to South America...

On the return leg to London only three out of eight or nine toilets on the BA flight were functioning, so he and his wife spent much of their time in a queue. He claims that the cabin was so cold it made sleep all but impossible.

He was expecting better quality food than in economy, but he says it was “inedible”. To add further insult, he says entertainment system failed to work properly.

"The captain apparently told a lady in business class that, had we been flying over land, he would have made an intermediate landing to get the problem dealt with. We had paid a large sum extra and we feel totally ripped off,” he says.
BA offered a Ł50 voucher and wrote:
“Your case has been reviewed several times by different agents and our duty managers and I’m afraid our response won’t change. The gesture we’ve offered is above our guidelines as the original agent that assessed your case recognised how unhappy you were and used her discretion to increase the amount. Unfortunately, this is the highest amount that we’re able to offer and I’m sorry you still remain unhappy with this.”
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:08 am

Yet another negative story in the consumer section of the Guardian

BA keeps on finding excuses to avoid a flight delay payout

It really doesn't show BA in a good light.

My BA flight to Barcelona was delayed by over three hours due to damage to an aircraft door. Although I flew with my family, we were on two separate bookings.

BA first claimed we were not due compensation because the damage was “an extraordinary circumstance” and therefore exempt under EC rules.

After I pointed out such damage is not exempted, BA agreed I was due Ł220 because of the delay (I am an Executive Club member) but my wife and two children (who are not) have been denied.

When I queried this, customer relations claimed that the delay due to the damaged doors was 178 minutes, two minutes under the threshold for compensation, and the remaining delay was to do with the airport and counted as “extraordinary”.

It then told me that because of this not only were my wife and children not due compensation, my claim had been approved in error.
To cut a long story short, after media intervention BA suddenly discovered that all the passengers were, in fact, eligible for compensation and (rather grudgingly) paid up.

I particularly love BA's excuse:
You were eligible for the promised payout, it decided, but a “routine check” to ensure “exceptional service” showed the transfer had not been correctly processed and might not have been received.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60

To cut a long story short, after media intervention BA suddenly discovered that all the passengers were, in fact, eligible for compensation and (rather grudgingly) paid up.

I particularly love BA's excuse:
“Quote:
You were eligible for the promised payout, it decided, but a “routine check” to ensure “exceptional service” showed the transfer had not been correctly processed and might not have been received.”

Nice one !

Worthy of recognition in itself ..... perhaps at the annual Travel Industry Awards ? New category :

Most Imaginative Excuse to Deny or Delay Compensation
Sealink likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Sorry if I've missed that one - article in the Indy on BoB and Alex Cruz who was "not surprised" by the negative reactions. He says that in his view the BoB problems are now over.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8893966.html

He adds:

"There are very, very, very, very few seats left in Europe that provide you with something for free."

On that last point at least: what a blatant and silly lie...
IAN-UK, psollitt and rockflyertalk like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by orbitmic

On that last point at least: what a blatant and silly lie...

I guess he's so focused on matching LCC competitors he forgets about the likes of Lufthansa, an airline doing a splendid job of diverting UK traffic away from BA/Heathrow, through German airports to Europe and the rest of the world.

I'm don't how effective the drink and a sandwich are in winning hearts, minds and bums on seats, but coupled with squeaky-clean aircraft, attractive fares and an effective network it provides a worthy alternative to the Heathrow connection.
psollitt and orbitmic like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.