Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA in the media 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Brendan O'Neil was quite active on Twitter along with the other BA pilots on there... however his account seems to have disappeared...!
I assume his career is now over*. Do you still get a pension if you're sacked for Gross Misconduct?

*Assuming what is reported is correct.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I assume his career is now over*. Do you still get a pension if you're sacked for Gross Misconduct?

*Assuming what is reported is correct.
You make the assumption that what it is alleged these pilots have been accused of amounts to an act of gross misconduct. We need to be very careful here and not make any presumptions of guilt. It is not fair on the individuals concerned. These matters are before the tribunal, let them be the ones to arrive at any finding of fact.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You make the assumption that what it is alleged these pilots have been accused of amounts to an act of gross misconduct. We need to be very careful here and not make any presumptions of guilt. It is not fair on the individuals concerned. These matters are before the tribunal, let them be the ones to arrive at any finding of fact.
That's what I was getting at with my "Assuming what is reported is correct". I know the DM is not the most reliable of sources...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's what I was getting at with my "Assuming what is reported is correct".
Even if what is in the report is factually correct in the technical sense (so that it could not form the basis for a defamation action), I would not myself jump to a premature conclusion about whether what was done amounted to gross misconduct. Only the tribunal will have a chance of fairly assessing what was done, and the context in which it was done. Nobody reading a press report at any stage will be able to make a reliable assessment for themselves from that.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Due process must be followed. Maybe it is not gross misconduct but probably a violation of an ethics code or code of conduct. There's virtually no context in which the n-word is acceptable, especially in repeated E-Mails.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
If what is reported is true(and this is the DM so should be taken with a pinch of salt) it’s certainly gross misconduct.

my organisation would fire anyone with a sniff of this and deal with the risk of being taken to a tribunal later in order to protect their reputation and distance themselves from the employee behaviour.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I couldn't see this anywhere else so posting here, Sr. Cruz has done an interview with Flight Global

Key points seem to be:
  • While the CW investment started in 2017, the results of the work will only start to be seen in the summer of this year "2019 is going to see more things, more visible"
  • New CW obviously coming to A350s and "there will be a few 777s [retrofitted] before the end of the year"
  • Four A350s and a pair of refurbished 777s are likely to have the seat this year and "We will go faster if we can. We are working with the manufacturer of the seat. We are prepared to go faster, but this is a two-and-a-half to three-year roll-out"
  • On the new CW seat specifically
With this seat we want to achieve two things. One is catch up in some respect. Our seat... was incredible when it first came out, but even its subsequent releases are not as competitive as some of the other seats out there. And secondly, to go a little bit beyond. So, can we become a bit more competitive? We believe [that with] one or two of the other features, the seat… will offer an advantage over other standard club seats other airlines offer.
  • They are still looking at a wide body order to complete the 747 replacement programme noting that "We need to formulate a stronger, more resilient position on future widebody commitments, beyond 2020-21" with the decision being between the A350 and 777X
  • BA is still committed to First with an aim to make it more exclusive, but within a smaller cabin
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimEddie
I couldn't see this anywhere else so posting here, Sr. Cruz has done an interview with Flight Global

Key points seem to be:
  • They are still looking at a wide body order to complete the 747 replacement programme noting that "We need to formulate a stronger, more resilient position on future widebody commitments, beyond 2020-21" with the decision being between the A350 and 777X
This is interesting, will they have to make a decision before the B777X is in service?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
There's an article on ft.com looking at BA as it celebrates 100 years, with the general tone being that it's not what it used to be. There are references to the ageing fleet, cutting free meals on short haul economy and "packing in" long-haul business class seats. It's behind the paywall i'm afraid https://www.ft.com/content/d2a98b34-...4-e7016697f225

One quote from Alex Cruz “There’s a lot of people . . . who have become disenchanted,” said the airline’s boss Alex Cruz, who took over as chief executive in April 2016. But over breakfast at the Langham hotel in central London, he is carefully optimistic. “Ever so slowly, we’re moving in the right direction, finally,” he said, as a £6.5bn investment programme, which includes new planes, lounges and seats with direct aisle access in its long-haul business class, bears fruit. “We understand what the past has been, we understand the net effect of really bad events like the power disruption or the hack attack . . . but this is not stopping us from continuing this investment programme.”
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:17 am

IAG to be de-listed from Spanish index

From https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/26/iag-...ain-index.html - I hadn't seen this flagged up.

Shares in IAG, the owner of British Airways and Iberia, fell on Tuesday after index provider MSCI said it plans to delete the stock from its Spanish index.

The Spanish listing was down 3.3 percent by 0821 GMT, at the bottom of the IBEX while the London-listed shares fell 3.8 percent.

Traders said the deletion was due to the cap on foreign ownership of the shares, which came in on Feb 11 ahead of Britain's exit from the European Union.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
Originally Posted by Worcester
It's on the BBC
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46...channel=social

Not great for BA, but worse to come because if pax don't like the current seat, can't imagine this will be improved with the new seats on SH.
I've always thought the ET seats to be confortable (i'm 6 foot), with decent leg room.

Ive also flown Ryanair quite a bit too. You know you have to pay for everything, and take that into account when using them, but never had delays, but guess they get marked down for their business model ?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Apparently an advert for BA last night on Channel 5, demonstrating the slick adverting credentials.

In the middle of a documentary Plane Wreck: Draining the Oceans. About the loss of MH370

With credit to
@Sillyshib on twitter for spotting that one.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
Apparently an advert for BA last night on Channel 5, demonstrating the slick adverting credentials.
In the middle of a documentary Plane Wreck: Draining the Oceans. About the loss of MH370
With credit to
@Sillyshib on twitter for spotting that one.
Saw that myself. Did think it was an interesting choice.

rb211.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Some great news http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...ng-apprentices

”A group of 48 former Monarch Aircraft Engineering apprentices are being taken on by British Airways.

The apprentices from the engineering arm of the collapsed airline were invited to visit BA’s engineering base at Heathrow.

All 48 then accepted an offer to continue their apprenticeship with the airline, enabling them to complete aircraft maintenance qualifications....”

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:21 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Flying from LGW next couple of weeks - you might go hungry!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...er-strike.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.