BA in the media 2019

Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
BA in the media 2019

Thought I would start a new thread for 2019. First article that caught my attention is this one by The Times:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/u...ride-99k0kncmg

it says BA was ranked 15th out of 19 for shorthaul behind easyJet and Flybe. Ryanair is last. This article is behind a pay wall but it seems passengers surveyed by « Which? » complained about the food and seating in BA shorthaul. Does anyone have access to the full article?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
It's on the BBC
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46...channel=social

The top five were Guernsey-based Aurigny Air Service, Swiss Airlines, Jet2, Norwegian and Dutch carrier KLM.

The UK's other large airlines, Easyjet and British Airways came in at 11th and 15th, respectively.

Easyjet beat British Airways's scores for food and drink, customer service and value for money, but both received low ratings for seat comfort.
Not great for BA, but worse to come because if pax don't like the current seat, can't imagine this will be improved with the new seats on SH.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BA6948

it says BA was ranked 15th out of 19 for shorthaul behind easyJet and Flybe. Ryanair is last .......... Does anyone have access to the full article?
I believe the BA Media Centre have published the article in full.

Oops ...... no, sorry, my mistake .... wrong press release. It was the mention of 19 which confused me.
Quark999 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA6948
it says BA was ranked 15th out of 19 for shorthaul behind easyJet and Flybe. Ryanair is last. This article is behind a pay wall but it seems passengers surveyed by « Which? » complained about the food and seating in BA shorthaul. Does anyone have access to the full article?
The Times article is fairly short, the BA section reads:

Originally Posted by The Times
BA, the biggest airline operating out of Heathrow, has actually improved in this year’s rankings. It jumped three places in the short-haul table, although its overall satisfaction score — 52 per cent — was unchanged year on year. The airline earned two stars out of five for catering, comfort and value.
A much more detailed version can be found here:
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8712021.html

This is an annual survey by Which? and suffers (in my view) by the fact that though 7,901 people participate, it would appear they only fly once or twice a year. Moreover given that Aurigny wins this survey year after year, I am not convinced it's not open to manipulation. Aurigny's "hubs" are Alderney and Guernsey, and it has 9 small aircraft in all. In third place, to give a comparison, Jet2 has 85 aircraft, mainly 737s and 757s. Both Aurigny and Jet2 are BoB incidentally.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Even if it's people flying once or twice a year, somebody from Guernsey may fly once with BA and once with Aurigny, so they are perfectly capable of noticing the difference.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Even if it's people flying once or twice a year, somebody from Guernsey may fly once with BA and once with Aurigny, so they are perfectly capable of noticing the difference.
Aside from the issue that there are no BA services from Guernsey, it just seems a little strange that an island with a population smaller than Wythenshawe should have such a pull on that survey.
Sealink, 'andad, Thomathy and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I guess the only thing in common between BA and Aurigny is that they are both airlines. On a purely corporate level there the similarity ends, and they are, self-evidently, entirely different business models where scale of operation is concerned.

Nevertheless - and even accepting the inherent limitations of such surveys - it would, I feel, be misguided of BA to dismiss the findings rather than ask itself why it is that passengers rate the airline so far below the standard of many other carriers.

LimaWhiskey likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Aside from the issue that there are no BA services from Guernsey, it just seems a little strange that an island with a population smaller than Wythenshawe should have such a pull on that survey.
Guernsey / Gibraltar... They all look the same to me

Back to bed I think....
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
As usual with Which?, the report does not give sufficient weighting to the sample sizes. You have to dig deep into the online version to find these (at the bottom of the 'Full features' table which has to be clicked through from the main article, itself only available to members). For shorthaul, Aurigny comes top with a sample of 42, whereas there are much larger samples for third-place Jet2.com (1,020), easyJet (2,099), British Airways (1,023) and Ryanair (1,161) . Most of the others are in mere double figures or low three figures.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
This result seem perfectly reasonable to me but I get that you will never convince the cheerleaders for BA on this forum.

The once a year passengers experience the rubbish BA throw at you once they have your cash. They don't get the service that those who reside in the CCR get or who spend more than half their life in the pointy end of aircraft, generally paid for by someone else.

If you have used Easy Jet or Norwegian or KLM and then use BA you get to know pretty quickly just how far this airline has declined.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by binman
This result seem perfectly reasonable to me but I get that you will never convince the cheerleaders for BA on this forum.
I suppose not, but it surprises me that some people have been complaining for many years about BA on here and other forums, are seemingly blighted at every turn, and yet they still can't tear themselves away.

So maybe the rankings aren't of much purpose in the real world.
dylanc, Sealink and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by binman

The once a year passengers experience the rubbish BA throw at you once they have your cash. They don't get the service that those who reside in the CCR get or who spend more than half their life in the pointy end of aircraft, generally paid for by someone else.

If you have used Easy Jet or Norwegian or KLM and then use BA you get to know pretty quickly just how far this airline has declined.
The majority of the “once a year” passengers are in Y, probably on the cheapest tickets they could aquire, do you honestly think they should get the same level of service as those in premium cabins, or with status?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
The majority of the “once a year” passengers are in Y, probably on the cheapest tickets they could aquire, do you honestly think they should get the same level of service as those in premium cabins, or with status?
They are customers, no matter how much or how little they have paid, and deserve the same level of service as any other passenger. Higher fares should bring more space, greater comfort and better food and drink, but not better service.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Higher fares should bring more space, greater comfort and better food and drink, but not better service.
One of the articles I read showed that BA's fares were lower (from memory it was LON-SIN with BA and Norwegian)

So it seems that BA are winning the low fares war, albeit not without a hit to their reputation.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
They are customers, no matter how much or how little they have paid, and deserve the same level of service as any other passenger. Higher fares should bring more space, greater comfort and better food and drink, but not better service.
Assuming by higher fares you mean travelling in a ‘higher’ cabin then I think that they absolutely should provide better service. They should bring a lower passenger to CC ratio which means better service assuming staff equally capable and motivated. The fare itself bares no relation to the lever of service, I’d assume CC have no idea whether passenger paid £59 or £590.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.