Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus MAN-DUB directly booked Vs. BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Aer Lingus MAN-DUB directly booked Vs. BA

Ok, there's a load of threads mentioning things but too many to gather things from.

Looking at starting a WT+ flight in DUB as it's half the price compared to the UK mainland (£550 Vs. £1136).

Options to quickly get to DUB for MAN are:

Ryanair £26.99 (hand baggage only) - steep as quite often £9.99; £56.99 with checked bag / seat selection etc.
Aer Lingus booked direct £23.99 with 10kg hand baggage only; £58.99 with 10kg hand baggage, 20kg checked bag, seat selection etc.
Aer Lingus booked through BA.com £89.

Other than being able to get 625 Avios from BA by booking with them and knocking a few £ off for Avios, is there any benefit to paying £30 more for what seems to be the same thing?

Things like lounge access I wouldn't expect with Aer Lingus but T1 at MAN isn't too bad for an hour or so.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just one thing to watch for... some of the EI MAN-DUB flights are operated by Stobart Air on smaller propeller aircraft, so hand baggage may be limited on these services.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Just one thing to watch for... some of the EI MAN-DUB flights are operated by Stobart Air on smaller propeller aircraft, so hand baggage may be limited on these services.
The one I'm looking at is the 8:10am departure and that doesn't mention Stobart Air unlike a couple of later ones.
Think it's 7kg for the Stobart ones.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
As far as I can see EI and BA operate out of different terminals at MAN otherwise you could’ve gotten access to the BA lounge with your BA 125- issued ticket on EI.

I would just book the EI code.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:22 am

If you want to online check in reliably and choose a seat without a 20 min call, book directly with EI.

The 8:10am flight is now operated by EI mainline.
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Or take the sensible approach and do BA MAN/LHR/DUB
Gastrocnemius and Mordac like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:37 am
ECR

I am assuming you are going to connect to BA flight to Heathrow in Dublin.

Aer Lingus operate from Terminal 2 in Dublin whereas BA and Ryanair operate from Terminal 1. I think the terminals are connected though airside by a quite a lengthy passageway from what I recall. I don't know if there is a connections route in Dublin or if you have to exit and go back through security, but if you are checking a bag I would expect you would have to exit.

Personally if checking a bag I would chose the Ryanair option as it is cheaper and it is going to the same terminal in Dublin as BA.

If going hand baggage only I would probably go for Aer Lingus on an EI code as it is the least expensive and the hand baggage is less restrictive than the basic Ryanair offer. Ryanair recently reduced the baggage allowance on their basic fares to a very small rucksack size that will go under the seat. You can pay extra for an additional cabin bag and priority boarding.

The only reasons for me for considering the Aer Lingus flight under the BA code would be for the tier points, but as a BAEC GGL the 5 tier points you will get from this flight are unlikely to be significant, or if I was awash with avios that I just couldn't spend and I wanted to use them to part pay with avios albeit at a poor rate.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by ECR
I am assuming you are going to connect to BA flight to Heathrow in Dublin.
No need to assume, it’s all in the Original Post!

Did you miss a “not” in there?

Only a true FTer would take the exponentially higher IRROPS risk and extra 4/5 hours going via LHR. MAN-DUB is 30 mins in the air.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77

Only a true FTer would take the exponentially higher IRROPS risk and extra 4/5 hours going via LHR. MAN-DUB is 30 mins in the air.
I'm in the Manchester area a lot now so it's easy just to hop on a flight direct to Ireland. If I had been living back further east, LHR would have been my first choice.

I did look at the MAN-LHR-DUB option but it takes too much time and as I'm going for an extended weekend rather than say a week or so, I don't want to lose too much time.
My other option is just to drive to LHR and fly BA from there.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:19 am
ECR

I think you might have misread my post.

It isn't in the original post that the they want to get to Dublin to catch a BA flight to Heathrow to get their World Traveller Plus flight to wherever from there. I'm assuming that because they mention WT+ that they are taking a BA long haul flight from Heathrow, as as far as I am aware currently BA only fly long haul from London.

No I didn't miss a not.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ECR
I think you might have misread my post.

It isn't in the original post that the they want to get to Dublin to catch a BA flight to Heathrow to get their World Traveller Plus flight to wherever from there. I'm assuming that because they mention WT+ that they are taking a BA long haul flight from Heathrow, as as far as I am aware currently BA only fly long haul from London.

No I didn't miss a not.
Understood. I think we both agree a double connect via LHR is madness. Although less crazy than buying a standalone BA codeshare on an EI flight*.

*except for the very rare occasion where it is considerably cheaper than the corresponding EI fare for the same flight.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:00 am
ECR

Understood. I think we both agree a double connect via LHR is madness. Although less crazy than buying a standalone BA codeshare on an EI flight*.

*except for the very rare occasion where it is considerably cheaper than the corresponding EI fare for the same flight.
Absolutely agree with you 100%. A double connection through Heathrow would be very stressful, as there is just too much that could go wrong.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by xenole
Ryanair £26.99 (hand baggage only) - steep as quite often £9.99; £56.99 with checked bag / seat selection etc.
Aer Lingus booked direct £23.99 with 10kg hand baggage only; £58.99 with 10kg hand baggage, 20kg checked bag, seat selection etc.
Aer Lingus booked through BA.com £89.
Book the Aer Lingus flight on aerlingus.com and save the £30.

Considering it's just £2 more expensive than Ryanair, it's a no brainer in my book.

You could also join Aer Lingus AerClub as you'll earn some Avios there which you can transfer to BA later.

Originally Posted by ECR
Aer Lingus operate from Terminal 2 in Dublin whereas BA and Ryanair operate from Terminal 1. I think the terminals are connected though airside by a quite a lengthy passageway from what I recall. I don't know if there is a connections route in Dublin or if you have to exit and go back through security, but if you are checking a bag I would expect you would have to exit.
​​​​​​​Collecting the bag in Dublin won't take long as baggage generally comes through fairly swiftly here. It's about a 5 minute walk (ten if you walk quite slowly) from terminal to terminal. Check-in will be quick and easy in T1 at the Club Europe counters. Fast-track security in Dublin is also just that - super fast. I've never waited more than two minutes, and usually it's a 30 second wait.

Either way, the walk between the two terminals is no big deal.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:02 am
ECR

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Book the Aer Lingus flight on aerlingus.com and save the £30.

Considering it's just £2 more expensive than Ryanair, it's a no brainer in my book.

You could also join Aer Lingus AerClub as you'll earn some Avios there which you can transfer to BA later.

​​​​​​​Collecting the bag in Dublin won't take long as baggage generally comes through fairly swiftly here. It's about a 5 minute walk (ten if you walk quite slowly) from terminal to terminal. Check-in will be quick and easy in T1 at the Club Europe counters. Fast-track security in Dublin is also just that - super fast. I've never waited more than two minutes, and usually it's a 30 second wait.

Either way, the walk between the two terminals is no big deal.
From landslide the walk between T1 and T2 is just 5 or 10 minutes as you say, but why pay extra (even only £2) to hump your bags between the two terminals when you can pay less and arrive in the same terminal where you only have to take your bags a short distance upstairs to fast track (which as you say is usually quick).

Aer Lingus shorthaul is very much a low cost carrier, so it is not as though the experience on board will be worth paying extra for on a very short flight.

If the avios you would earn for flying Aer Lingus are worth much more than £2 then that might change the dynamics.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ECR
From landslide the walk between T1 and T2 is just 5 or 10 minutes as you say, but why pay extra (even only £2) to hump your bags between the two terminals when you can pay less and arrive in the same terminal where you only have to take your bags a short distance upstairs to fast track (which as you say is usually quick).

Aer Lingus shorthaul is very much a low cost carrier, so it is not as though the experience on board will be worth paying extra for on a very short flight.

If the avios you would earn for flying Aer Lingus are worth much more than £2 then that might change the dynamics.
There is absolutely no comparison between Aer Lingus and Ryanair, completely different experience. I prefer Aer Lingus short haul economy to BA, as I can go row 1 without being in CE.

It is definitely worth a 5 minute walk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.