Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct Ł0.96/TP Ł154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb Ł1.90/TP Ł152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug Ł2.06/TP Ł329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul Ł2.99/TP Ł2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec Ł1.90/TP Ł1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr Ł2.29/TP Ł640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan Ł1.52/TP Ł668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr Ł0.90/TP Ł215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr Ł 0.76/TP Ł 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr Ł 1.04/TP Ł 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May Ł 0.70/TP Ł 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun Ł 0.52/TP Ł 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 Ł0.95/TP Ł479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB Ł1.49/TP Ł1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 Ł2.07/TP Ł2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 Ł1.80/TP Ł721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL , HH Gold, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Who knows that better, you or I? Since there is no podcast that you can relay on tone, I will stay with my opinion. Now lets continue with TP Runs
Absolutely no offense taken. I apologize for posting this in the wrong thread. As someone who uses FT very infrequently I was not sure of the correct place to post and decided to ask for help here as this is where I had previously. I apologize for all the drama!
Jaenks and Brigsysmart like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Does anyone have the link for the AUH - CGK TP run discussion? The link I saw earlier in this thread was broken.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Does anyone have the link for the AUH - CGK TP run discussion? The link I saw earlier in this thread was broken.
Here you go:

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T
Dicksbits and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
thanks for finding the link to the indonesia TP run
it is helpful for us new to all this.
also to see an example of how someone has used google flights for this

the cheapest flights seem to be around Ł680.

Are there special dates where the Ł479 fare (as shown into wiki) is available, or is this out of date pricing?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
the cheapest flights seem to be around Ł680.

Are there special dates where the Ł479 fare (as shown into wiki) is available, or is this out of date pricing?
The wiki is now well out of date (the price of Ł479 was posted at the beginning of January). The very lowest fare available for the AUH-CMG-CGK run for the next twelve months seems to be Ł677, but that is still a very good Ł/TP ratio.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Thanks Misco60, that's what I thought.
adding in positioning flights (as I live close to Lgw) can get a little expensive

what is the best / cheapest way?

I managed silver last year in the BA sept sale, with some cheap long weekend breaks in Malta, Funchal etc. With a good TP /Ł rate

so trying to weigh up the options
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Thanks Misco60, that's what I thought.
adding in positioning flights (as I live close to Lgw) can get a little expensive

what is the best / cheapest way?

I managed silver last year in the BA sept sale, with some cheap long weekend breaks in Malta, Funchal etc. With a good TP /Ł rate

so trying to weigh up the options
To be honest, I wouldn't bother with a TP run starting in AUH, as positioning and hotels can add significantly to the time and cost.

If you're just trying to get to Silver then you could do worse than investigate the very popular Bucharest (OTP) to Phoenix (PHX) deal. The most straightforward routing, via LHR and and an east coast gateway, gives you 720 TPs and costs around Ł1400. (This is more expensive than in previous years due to the fall in the value of the Ł). If you were to do this in the period between the end of your TP collection year and the expiry date of your BAEC card then you'd get two years of Silver benefits from one TP run. If you route via HEL each way and position to OTP in Club Europe then you can get as many as 1200 TPs from this one trip (I did this myself in 2018). You'll find extensive discussion in last year's TP Run thread.

The fare restrictions are as follows:

Category 2: Day/Time restrictions
FROM EUROPE -
PERMITTED TUE/WED/THU ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
TO EUROPE -
PERMITTED MON/TUE/WED ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

Category 3: Seasonal restrictions
INBOUND -
PERMITTED 21DEC 18 THROUGH 02JAN 19 OR 14APR 19 THROUGH
21APR 19 OR 01JUL 19 THROUGH 31AUG 19 FOR EACH
TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
OUTBOUND -
PERMITTED 22DEC 18 THROUGH 06JAN 19 OR 14APR 19 THROUGH
22APR 19 OR 01JUL 19 THROUGH 31AUG 19 FOR EACH
TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Brigsysmart and Fatdickie like this.

Last edited by Misco60; Jun 6, 2019 at 4:10 am Reason: Corrected the TPs earned for the OTP-PHX run.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Misco60
If you're just trying to get to Silver then you could do worse than investigate the very popular Bucharest (OTP) to Phoenix (PHX) deal. The most straightforward routing, via LHR and and an east coast gateway, gives you 640 TPs and costs around Ł1400
I did this and very much enjoyed PHX.

Did also see an Olso to Bangkok deal on turning left for less' twitter feed today flying QR for Ł1243 which might work out cheaper/better depending on your travel plans. 560TP

The rules:
  • Book by: 30 June 2019
  • Travel:
    • Outbound – Permitted Sun Through Thu.
    • Inbound – Permitted Mon Through Fri on the first international sector
  • Minimum stay: 5 nights
  • Maximum stay: 1 month
  • Transfers: Unlimited
  • Stopovers: 1 in Doha up to 96 hours
  • Refundable: Yes for a fee
  • Changeable: Yes for a fee
Singapore and or Cape Town slightly more.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:31 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The wiki is now well out of date (the price of Ł479 was posted at the beginning of January). The very lowest fare available for the AUH-CMG-CGK run for the next twelve months seems to be Ł677, but that is still a very good Ł/TP ratio.
Ł479 was available up to the end of March.

In April it rose to Ł510, and has been going up steadily.

I paid Ł618 a few weeks ago, but the fare was filed at Ł680 - with a 10% offer available if you booked directly with UL.

M
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Would suggest DXB-CMB-CGK can be had for same price now ! Easier for ex LHR (I'm looking at November to include A350) and also gets the UL A330 ex DXB.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
If you were to do this in the period between the end of your TP collection year and the expiry date of your BAEC card then you'd get two years of Silver benefits from one TP run.
Can you explain how this works please?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:05 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by higham44
Can you explain how this works please?
A membership year ends on the 8th of a month, but benefits last until the end of the following month. Furthermore, achieving a status level grants that status for the remainder of the membership year in which it is achieved, and the entirety of the following membership year. Thus, if your year ends on, say, October 8th, then you have lounge access + 50% bonus Avios etc until November 30th - and if you achieve 600 TPs between October 9th and Nov 30th, you would have silver until October 8th (membership)/November 30th (for benefits) 2021. (The November date only has significance in terms of not interrupting your benefits, obviously; if you reach silver in Dec, Jan, ... everything else still applies; when I reached Gold a few years ago it was with a flight on the 7th of my final month!)

This is all detailed in A brief guide to moving between Tiers in the BAEC
Marschel and Fatdickie like this.

Last edited by dsf; Jun 6, 2019 at 4:17 am Reason: added more detail re: non-interruption of benefits, and anecdata
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Thank you for detail and the link. My membership ends on the dates you have given as examples in your reply, so makes it very clear.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
To be honest, I wouldn't bother with a TP run starting in AUH, as positioning and hotels can add significantly to the time and cost.
Fortunately there is an F1 GP there at the end of November, so I should be able to make use of it on my way to NUE.

I just have to join up some very distant dots to make it work. Hmm.
flashware likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Decent fares to VCE for anyone looking to add a few TPs this month

TrainDriverSparky and lipsum like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.