Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Palty
do you mind sending in a screen shot of the ITA front page?
like what you had to put in, in order for the LCY should show?
I just copied the screenshot. Not my finding but just put “LCY JFK LAX” in the outbound routing code and the reverse on inbound. swap to LHR if you wish. INV as start and LAS as arrival. Should work.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by littlefish
Not a stupid question at all. One of the sneeky difficult things about TP friendly itineraries is actually finding a way to book them.
In this particular case one workaround is to note the payment processor doesn't seem to mind if you mis-type a US hotel zip and state rather than your full UK CC billing address.

But you are right. The aa.com software sends you in a loop if you actually try and enter correct data at each step. I have fed this back
I actually called in via the 24/7 UK phone line and got it paid that way; just be prepared the agent sees all sorts of things that makes it appear it was a US booking. Anyway, he re-modified the payment side back to GBP and took my payment. Ticket arrived about an hour later.

All-in-all aa.com has lost a lot of functionality these last 18 months. The bookwithmatrix link, kinda sort of, works in some situations so you can book slightly complicated itineraries thru aa. But there remains a large gap where I just can't make bookings (or in fact confirm ITA-MATRIX itineraries are actually valid - some aren't).
This thread remains the best resource (I know) to keep track of some of the workarounds or booking mediums.
Thanks, I ended up buying via the EU AA site in €, no issues getting booking refs and seats, although I have two BA refs, one with 6 segments and one with the full 8. Payment went from pending to paid on my CC today, so all good.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Palty
do you mind sending in a screen shot of the ITA front page?
like what you had to put in, in order for the LCY should show?
The trick is to use "LON BA1,AA6227 JFK LAX" and it will find the right connections...
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
As expected AA has taken a hatchet to a number of my itineraries in the US. Before I call up and try to get some dicey transfers fixed (e.g. 60 minutes at JFK from T7 to T8; 35 minutes at ORD to catch a flight to LHR) has anyone had any luck changed airports to an open jaw to overcome a schedule change induced problem?

I was flying Miami-Indianapolis (overnight stop)-Indianapolis-Chicago-London. My IND-ORD flight has been cancelled and a new later one substituted (downgraded to economy) with a 35 minutes transfer at ORD.

I could fly from nearby Dayton to PHL (in business) and then LHR, without any tight transfers, but not sure AA will allow the change to open jaw?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Ned1968
As expected AA has taken a hatchet to a number of my itineraries in the US. Before I call up and try to get some dicey transfers fixed (e.g. 60 minutes at JFK from T7 to T8; 35 minutes at ORD to catch a flight to LHR) has anyone had any luck changed airports to an open jaw to overcome a schedule change induced problem?

I was flying Miami-Indianapolis (overnight stop)-Indianapolis-Chicago-London. My IND-ORD flight has been cancelled and a new later one substituted (downgraded to economy) with a 35 minutes transfer at ORD.

I could fly from nearby Dayton to PHL (in business) and then LHR, without any tight transfers, but not sure AA will allow the change to open jaw?
I frequently make amendments in my favour on AA tickets after they make schedule changes (and I am thankful for their flexibility). However, asking for open-jaw which is a different routing to what you actually booked is asking a bit much of AA's already generous flexibility in the case of schedule changes (in my opinion).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:00 pm

Thanks RossMacd. I was hoping that perhaps IND/DAY would be looked on as similar to an LHR/LGW or JFK/EWR substitution due to their proximity

I suspect I'll have to cut my losses and just accept crazy tight transfers for now with the idea that if it goes pear shaped it's AA's problem to get me home. The downgrade to economy is a minor irritant (aircraft change/no business class) so will need to claim ORC I guess.

Because four different sectors have been changed significantly (I'm doing ARN-HEL-LCY-JFK-CLT-MIA-IND-ORD-LHR-HEL-ARN in July) I've spent many hours looking for alternatives that are more favourable timewise (or TP wise!) but have hit a brick wall with each one - looks like AA is determined to use my trip to make up for all the beneficial changes in other people's itineraries!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
Does anyone know of any short but sweat tier point runs from LAX? I only need 240TP's, so 6 J/F legs but I need to do it all in one day.
I'd do a J return to somewhere > 2000 miles from LAX. If you can find a good price the A321T Transcon is quite nice in business. Otherwise there are lots of options for non-Transcon service in F (books in J) and quite a few can be done in a day.

You may be able to do something like LAX-SFO-PHX-LAS return or similar, but to be honest, I'd go for the two long flights. Total time is probably not too different, but you won't spend so much time getting on and off planes, and on the long flights you can get some work done / watch some movies / get some sleep. Also less likely to be scuppered by IROPS.

rb211.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by megaloman
Sure:

Thanks, appreciate it. Gonna take it
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I suspect I'll have to cut my losses and just accept crazy tight transfers for now with the idea that if it goes pear shaped it's AA's problem to get me home. The downgrade to economy is a minor irritant (aircraft change/no business class) so will need to claim ORC I guess.....

Hi @Ned1968
A couple of points from above:
MCT at JFK between T7 and T8 is 2 hours, so at some point the system will recognise the connection is only 60 mins and reschedule/reroute you. You won't have the option to accept it.

Also, ORC is only granted for IRROPS, not schedule changes so you're best to work on an alternative route if you want to preserve TPs, or accept the downgrade. Any refund I guess will be tiny.
Ned1968 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
Just booked for February 2020 INV-LHR-MAN-PHL-LAX-LAS with same routing on the return, all BA codes except the LAX/LAS legs, 800 TP and 38,000 Avios as a GC holder for 1,325 GBP. Would be even more attractive if flown in 2019 so as to qualify for the double Avios promotion. Currently scheduled with 787-8 on the MAN-PHL and A330 on PHL-LAX legs although given typical AA schedule changes certainly not guaranteed. Booked over the phone with the GGL line, there were some inconsistencies in I class availability from what was shown in Matrix so some flexibility (and time on the call!) required.
dougzz and sugarloops1 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I have to go to Indianapolis from Las Vegas on 28 April, can anyone advise me of any quick TPs day-run on First? As long as I can arrive within 28th (or just after midnight), I can start at anytime on 28th. AA website is no longer TPs run friendly, I have been struggling to find one...
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
I have to go to Indianapolis from Las Vegas on 28 April, can anyone advise me of any quick TPs day-run on First? As long as I can arrive within 28th (or just after midnight), I can start at anytime on 28th. AA website is no longer TPs run friendly, I have been struggling to find one...
So, what alternatives/close-by airports have you searched for yourself, so far? Tried ITA Matrix with the close airports alternative?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
Price will be depend on your plans for returning - are you looking for a one way ticket or returning to LAS on a later date?

This query will do the trick on ITA Matrix

Coming back the next day (29th) gave this example that would give 240 TPs
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Smile

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
I highly doubt that there's anything to gain. In case there would have been cancellations or a significant change, then the situation would of course be different. Personally I've offered the CS my cunning alternative plan only in cases that I've been involuntarily rerouted and rescheduled due to cancellations prior to starting the trip.
Originally Posted by Ajm1987
I would try again as I just had great success with almost exactly the same situation.

I had JFK-PHX-JFK as part of the OTP-PHX run and wasn't looking forward to the 5-6 hour 2-cabin domestic first experience.

The change had reduced my 11 hours in PHX to around 9.5 hours. The JFK-PHX leg originally arrived on Saturday at 12.30 but was rescheduled to depart later and land at 13.13. The PHX-JFK leg originally departed at 23.30 on the same Saturday but was rescheduled to depart earlier at 23.00.

I asked to reroute via LAX in both directions, further cutting down my time in PHX to around 8 hours. All ok, no reasons required, fully re-ticketed. Makes the whole thing including positioning 1280 TPs, up from 1200, and lie-flat on the transcon. I was also rebooked into D rather than I on all the new legs, even though EF showed I availability?

I reckon 8 hours in PHX is too short for me to get my passport stolen again, but I'll give it a bloody good shot.

Thanks again for all the advice/help over the last couple of years.
Originally Posted by taylorj6
Definitely hang up and try again. The ANC-PHX portion of my AMS-LHR-JFK-PHX-ANC-PHX-JFK-LHR-AMS Run was schedule changed by 3 minutes. I was able to rebook the return leg to ANC-PHX-LAX-JFK-LHR-AMS with the LAX-JFK deliberately and overtly requested for the 21:30 departure to avoid having to pay for a hotel in NY. It also gives me 14 hours in LA to either go and see a friend, or make full use of the QF/AA lounges.

On the same call for a separate booking, I also was able to re-route a cancelled JFK-SFO-LAX connection, which had been replaced by a JFK-PHX-LAX connection (!), to a JFK-MIA-LAX connection (all 777 International J).

I'm always polite, courteous and friendly. If they won't do it, cut the call when you are mid-sentence (so they don't think you hung up), and re-dial. If it isn't working that day .... leave it a couple of of days and try again. I can't remember the exact rules, but think you can request a re-routing (following a schedule change) at any time up until you fly.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by Shl
@KC818 I can re-iterate what was said before. With each and every schedule change I had with AA, I was able to optimise my original itinerary. Important: Make yourself very familiar with the alternatives and the exact routing you want them to book including exact flight numbers. Also be aware of your booking classes - tell them exactly what you want based on your original itinerary or your re-scheduled itinerary. This should work. Fingers crossed!
Thank you all for your advice. I did have my optimised itinerary when I called and I am always polite.

The AA agent could find all the flights I gave her but she claimed the system refused to update my booking as the 55 minute change was not significant enough. I was puzzled by this especially she put me on hold and checked with Tech Support. So just wanted to verify if that's the case. It seems the overall experience is positive; I will try again and report back.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by onobond
So, what alternatives/close-by airports have you searched for yourself, so far? Tried ITA Matrix with the close airports alternative?
Price will be depend on your plans for returning - are you looking for a one way ticket or returning to LAS on a later date?

This query will do the trick on ITA Matrix

Coming back the next day (29th) gave this example that would give 240 TPs
Thank both of you! I have never used this before as I did not do any run for the last 3 membership years, I used to use the AA website only.

I used the google flights for this time, I got similar results. I don't need to go back to Vegas, just one way. The best finding was a 6-leg trip (£3/TP), but I could not find any routing with a mid-haul flight (PHX-PHL etc) at a reasonable £/TP rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.