Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct Ł0.96/TP Ł154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb Ł1.90/TP Ł152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug Ł2.06/TP Ł329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul Ł2.99/TP Ł2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec Ł1.90/TP Ł1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr Ł2.29/TP Ł640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan Ł1.52/TP Ł668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr Ł0.90/TP Ł215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr Ł 0.76/TP Ł 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr Ł 1.04/TP Ł 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May Ł 0.70/TP Ł 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun Ł 0.52/TP Ł 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 Ł0.95/TP Ł479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB Ł1.49/TP Ł1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 Ł2.07/TP Ł2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 Ł1.80/TP Ł721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
QQ

I’m in PDX at the beginning of July for 6 days, with one day in SEA.

Is PDX something of a cul-de-sac when it comes to TP runs? Without positioning to LAX, LAS or PHX., I can’t find anything you’d consider a TP run opportunity.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
QQ

I’m in PDX at the beginning of July for 6 days, with one day in SEA.

Is PDX something of a cul-de-sac when it comes to TP runs? Without positioning to LAX, LAS or PHX., I can’t find anything you’d consider a TP run opportunity.
I can't seem to find any decent fares to PDX right now, TP-runnable or not, but during the last cheap West Coast fare availability a few weeks ago, I was able to find DUB-PHL-CLT-PDX for about Ł1500, which was at a premium compared to LAX/LAS/SFO/SEA, but if PDX is your final destination, not a terrible routing considering the TP/Ł.

I really regret not booking that before it was pulled, since I had to end up doing LHR-SEA-PDX in WTP for Ł1200. Alas.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by saccosekk
I can't seem to find any decent fares to PDX right now, TP-runnable or not, but during the last cheap West Coast fare availability a few weeks ago, I was able to find DUB-PHL-CLT-PDX for about Ł1500, which was at a premium compared to LAX/LAS/SFO/SEA, but if PDX is your final destination, not a terrible routing considering the TP/Ł.

I really regret not booking that before it was pulled, since I had to end up doing LHR-SEA-PDX in WTP for Ł1200. Alas.
Oh, I have my ticket for getting to PDX.

My brick wall is finding TP opportunities ex-PDX, like a PTY or BZE run.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by Markie
AA cancelled their JFK-MCO flights in the summer (odd!), and I got them to route me MIA-CLT-JFK so adding a segment.
JFK is doing some runway work in June, so several carriers are reducing their schedule while the runway work is going on. On one return trip I will lose some Avios due to AA changing my outbound from JFK-BOS-LAX-LAS to JFK-PHX-LAX-LAS, but the return gains at least some Avios back along with 40TPs LAS-LAX-BOS(-DCA now added)-JFK. This is the first time an AA schedule change has automatically (without prompting) improved a TP run for me.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:36 pm

Any recent experiences of how long CX flights take to post? On a ex-AMS booking to BKK and all BA segments posted pretty promptly, but a week later still no CX. It's GUF2'd if that makes any difference.

FWIW on a separate MH booking BKK-KUL-KTM that posted within a day of the flights too, so it's just the CX flights on the original booking that haven't.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:11 pm

AA are cancelling flights out until June now, due to the 737 MAX grounding!

rb211.
Markie likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
JFK is doing some runway work in June, so several carriers are reducing their schedule while the runway work is going on. On one return trip I will lose some Avios due to AA changing my outbound from JFK-BOS-LAX-LAS to JFK-PHX-LAX-LAS, but the return gains at least some Avios back along with 40TPs LAS-LAX-BOS(-DCA now added)-JFK. This is the first time an AA schedule change has automatically (without prompting) improved a TP run for me.
Certainly a silver lining on what first seemed like a dark cloud
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by KARFA
A heretical post for this thread sunshinebob
Yes - real TP runners know the differenece between stopovers and layovers
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Any recent experiences of how long CX flights take to post?
My recent CX / KA flights below. Seems to be 1-5 days.
  • Flew 2 Apr. Posted 5 Apr.
  • Flew 29 Mar. Posted 2 Apr.
  • Flew 27 Mar. Posted 29 Mar.
  • Flew 24 Mar. Posted 29 Mar.
  • Flew 14 Feb. Posted 19 Feb.
  • Flew 12 Feb. Posted 15 Feb.
  • Flew 24 Jan. Posted 29 Jan.
  • Flew 22 Jan. Posted 25 Jan.
  • Flew 2 Dec. Posted 4 Dec.
  • Flew 28 Nov. Posted 29 Nov.
  • Flew 23 Nov. Posted 27 Nov.
*EDIT* to add, all posted automatically. Sounds like the GUF2 causing problems.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
A heretical post for this thread sunshinebob
If deemed as heresy, are we to expect the Sp@nish Inqui$ition ?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by onobond
If deemed as heresy, are we to expect the Sp@nish Inqui$ition ?
Nobody expects the.......
alex67500 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by CX_newbie
My recent CX / KA flights below. Seems to be 1-5 days.
  • Flew 2 Apr. Posted 5 Apr.
  • Flew 29 Mar. Posted 2 Apr.
  • Flew 27 Mar. Posted 29 Mar.
  • Flew 24 Mar. Posted 29 Mar.
  • Flew 14 Feb. Posted 19 Feb.
  • Flew 12 Feb. Posted 15 Feb.
  • Flew 24 Jan. Posted 29 Jan.
  • Flew 22 Jan. Posted 25 Jan.
  • Flew 2 Dec. Posted 4 Dec.
  • Flew 28 Nov. Posted 29 Nov.
  • Flew 23 Nov. Posted 27 Nov.
*EDIT* to add, all posted automatically. Sounds like the GUF2 causing problems.
Thanks, will wait to see what the one home does and then submit them both.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
This feels like a stupid question, but how do you use a UK credit card to buy flights on aa.com? Whenever I use bookwithmatrix it takes me to US site. Even if I change the locale in the URL to 'en_GB', when it comes to a billing address, it's still a US address and if I change it the the UK, I lose my search....or, does everyone use PayPal or just phone BA/AA?

Last edited by stephenjc; Apr 9, 2019 at 9:17 am Reason: grammar
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephenjc
This feels like a stupid question, but how do you use a UK credit card to buy flights on aa.com? Whenever I use bookwithmatrix it takes me to US site. Even if I change the locale in the URL to 'en_GB', when it comes to a billing address, it's still a US address and if I change it the the UK, I lose my search....or, does everyone use PayPal or just phone BA/AA?
Surprised over your experiences. I'm EU-based and use either of my two cards, registred on my home address, for all reservations, be it BA, AA, AA, CX, MH, RJ or UL. Never had any problems in completing reservations. If the problem in your case is not having a US address, just put in the address/postal code of your favourite US hotel. Nobody will send you any snail mail anyhow.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:22 am

I did it via google flights. For some reason the AA page it sends me to seems to be UK focussed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.