Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct 0.96/TP 154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb 1.90/TP 152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug 2.06/TP 329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul 2.99/TP 2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec 1.90/TP 1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr 2.29/TP 640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan 1.52/TP 668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr 0.90/TP 215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr 0.76/TP 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr 1.04/TP 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May 0.70/TP 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun 0.52/TP 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 0.95/TP 479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB 1.49/TP 1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 2.07/TP 2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 1.80/TP 721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:40 am

I screwed up (which I admitted to at the time). Which is why I'm happy to cancel and rebook if I can keep the original routing credit.

I believe I currently have...

INV - LHR - JFK - PHX - SFO (40 / 140 / 140 / 40)
SFO - ORD - JFK - LHR - INV (40 / 40 / 140 / 40)

The way I'm thinking is if I can just rebook and keep that, I might as well go direct from JFK to SFO.

Last edited by RG1X; Mar 26, 2019 at 5:48 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
American Eagle do earn TP. I've used them many times.
Original routing credit is for IRROPS during the journey.
Any re-routing prior to the journey due to a schedule change doesn't qualify for ORC in my experience.
A schedule change on AA though is a bit like a blank cheque and provided you research your options, you can pretty much achieve any reasonable reroute.
So, based on the limited info provided, if your original routing was SFO-ORD-JFK, that would have given you 80 TP.
Assuming one of those legs is subject to schedule/equipment change, you could ask for SFO-JFK as you suggest and that would give you 140TP, being >2000miles.
An even better option would be to combine a >2000 mile sector with a shorter sector, giving 180TP eg SFO-CLT/PHL/BOS-JFK.
What is your routing and potential change?
dylanks, KARFA and RG1X like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:52 am

Another misunderstanding then.

I find this stuff incredibly complicated.

Routing is:

The change is on the ORD - JFK section. Leaves me less than an hour for transfer after the SFO - ORD flight, which I'm not particularly comfortable with to be honest (I know a lot of you guys manage insanely quick changeovers, but I don't really do this sort of thing much).
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
In that situation, as a minimum request SFO-JFK direct for the 140TP but also look at swapping ORD for airports such as CLT, PHL or BOS on the East coast or PHX, LAX or LAS on the west coast for a total of 180TP.

If you have the flight details wanted when you call AA, they are usually very helpful.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RG1X
Another misunderstanding then.

I find this stuff incredibly complicated.

Routing is:

The change is on the ORD - JFK section. Leaves me less than an hour for transfer after the SFO - ORD flight, which I'm not particularly comfortable with to be honest (I know a lot of you guys manage insanely quick changeovers, but I don't really do this sort of thing much).
So in that case I would look at asking to change SFO-ORD-JFK to something like SFO-PHX-JFK (i.e. something which means a connection on the west or east coast with a > 2000 mile leg - see post 2 for a list of these 140 TP flights) or if you want a simple life just to SFO-JFK so you earn 140 rather than 80 from SFO-ORD-JFK.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Agreed. It would be a separate ticket from CGK-AUH. So I'd do:

Ticket 1: AUH-CGK
Ticket 2: CGK-AUH
Ticket 2: AUH-CGK
Ticket 1: CGK-AUH

To give time in AUH.

The issue is that the Ticket 2 originating in CGK is 4 times the price of Ticket 1 originating in AUH.
I'm looking into this also. I've done B2B at CGK, the method is to ask politely the flight attendant mid flight to contact ground staff prior to landing and inform them you have a booking for the return flight and you want to get back on the plane.
Someone will then meet you on the ground, put you through a side door straight into the departure gate and go and print your paper boarding pass.

I've done this twice.

I can't now find a cheap return to AUH to nest but what I have found is the ability to to CGK-CMB-CGK for around GBP650 with 12 hours in CMB which means you can tag an additional 280TP's on for 650 in the same time period. It's a pretty intense 48 hour trip but 840TP's for around 1200 which is decent enough. It's about as efficient as you can get time wise for a reasonable price.
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wonderman
I'm looking into this also. I've done B2B at CGK, the method is to ask politely the flight attendant mid flight to contact ground staff prior to landing and inform them you have a booking for the return flight and you want to get back on the plane.
Someone will then meet you on the ground, put you through a side door straight into the departure gate and go and print your paper boarding pass.

I've done this twice.

I can't now find a cheap return to AUH to nest but what I have found is the ability to to CGK-CMB-CGK for around GBP650 with 12 hours in CMB which means you can tag an additional 280TP's on for 650 in the same time period. It's a pretty intense 48 hour trip but 840TP's for around 1200 which is decent enough. It's about as efficient as you can get time wise for a reasonable price.
HI and thanks for the info. Yes, I checked with someone that has done a number of these runs and imparted their knowledge and experience. I personally would be happy B2B in CGK if I had a printed boarding pass.

I also saw the CGK-CMB-CGK which as you say comes in at more than AUH-CMB-CGK.... but it's still 1400 cheaper than tacking on the AUH..... and means I could do a time in CMB which would be new as I've been to CGK previously.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by David_Doyle
HI and thanks for the info. Yes, I checked with someone that has done a number of these runs and imparted their knowledge and experience. I personally would be happy B2B in CGK if I had a printed boarding pass.

I also saw the CGK-CMB-CGK which as you say comes in at more than AUH-CMB-CGK.... but it's still 1400 cheaper than tacking on the AUH..... and means I could do a time in CMB which would be new as I've been to CGK previously.
Unless by knowledge is out of date (I did this in Feb 2018) you cannot pre print a boarding pass for departure from CGK. It must be printed from the check in at the airport, this is what causes the issues there but in my experience the ground staff were more than willing to get it all sorted.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by wonderman

I've done this twice.
Believe when you did this, UL was still flying into CGK T2. Now that its moved to T3, has anyone else had the same experience?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:14 am

So just to be clear before I phone... do I need them to cancel my entire itinerary and rebook (risking possibly being left with no tickets), or should they be able to adjust just those sectors?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Another question on the UL CMB-CGK run. Am looking at the run from DXB but not B2Bing at CGK. On the return CMB-DXB landing at 2140 would you book the BA DXB-LHR at 0225 ? Has anyone done this ? I realise anything could happen - delays, canx flight etc ........ but would you risk it with a four(ish) hour DXB layover ??
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Another question on the UL CMB-CGK run. Am looking at the run from DXB but not B2Bing at CGK. On the return CMB-DXB landing at 2140 would you book the BA DXB-LHR at 0225 ? Has anyone done this ? I realise anything could happen - delays, canx flight etc ........ but would you risk it with a four(ish) hour DXB layover ??
I did exactly that back in January. I think I looked at the CMB-DXB history on FlightRadar24 and it seemed pretty reliable. The flight transfer at DXB was very fast and I was through before the BA transfer desk opened!

Another nice bonus was an upgrade at the gate from WT+ to upper deck J on the 747 (overbooked econ/prem econ)!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by peter h
I did exactly that back in January. I think I looked at the CMB-DXB history on FlightRadar24 and it seemed pretty reliable. The flight transfer at DXB was very fast and I was through before the BA transfer desk opened!

Another nice bonus was an upgrade at the gate from WT+ to upper deck J on the 747 (overbooked econ/prem econ)!
Very encouraging - thanks for that ! Will have a look. Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There's a thread running specifically on the logistics around this one :

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by RG1X
So just to be clear before I phone... do I need them to cancel my entire itinerary and rebook (risking possibly being left with no tickets), or should they be able to adjust just those sectors?
Ask them to fix affected segments.
RG1X likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.