Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
I think they've just been pulled. As was said upthread - book first think later. Within 24 hours at least... The return of the intern?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I also think these have just been pulled. I has a price quote and was in the booking process when the credit card payment stage crashed out with an error message. Now the fares are doubled. I didn't think they would be pulled this fast as it didn't smell like an error, just a flash sale. Obviously a very short flash. Dammit.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:37 am
Suspended

yes it's more exepnsive now...it was great fare....
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by headforflights
yes it's more exepnsive now...it was great fare....
I agree.

I'm only been thinking about a TP run for the last few days, but I've decided it is a great idea. I have also mulled it over with my wife and decided I will need to do the runs on my own rather than as a couple.

That deal AMS to ANC was fantastic. The point made earlier in the thread makes sense - if the deal is right, book the flight, rather than waiting as it gets pulled.

Really hoping something similar becomes available soon.

Last edited by CharliesAngels; Mar 21, 2019 at 9:11 am
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:03 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by flyuk
Valid until the 6th of September, TP resets on the 8th.

:sadface:
For the first transatlantic. So the return can be after.

I was able to book via Hel, lhr, east coast to west coast. RT was about 1300eur and 880tps.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jason8612
For the first transatlantic. So the return can be after.
interestingly the fare rules said this:

PERMITTED 14APR 19 THROUGH 30MAY 19 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR
OR - PERMITTED 25JUN 19 THROUGH 06SEP 19.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
I found a single itinerary AMS-DFW-LAS-PHL-AMS on GoToGate that doesn't reprice, in fact it prices at £792 What are people's opinions on them? Am I likely to be fobbed off with an Economy ticket?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold
I jumped on this fare as well since I had a light travel year and needed some TPs, didn’t optimize it as much as you guys did: AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX-BOS-LHR-AMS, with both transcontinental flights upgraded to First, booked on AA stock but with BA flight numbers for extra avios. 640TP and 42K avios (as gold) for 1200 euro not bad!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:17 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by KARFA
interestingly the fare rules said this:
Yeah, I saw that too, but it worked fine when I was checking earlier when the fare was alive.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ahh... he*k. Couldn't get it to price online, went to a meeting, now the ams fare's gone.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:06 pm

Removed.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
CAI-HNL fare differences

Hoping the experts here can help me diagnose issues with my pricing. Last year I did a CAI-HNL run which was great for connecting to AUH to see friends etc. I was looking at a similar trip this year and can get good pricing CAI-LHR-LAX-HNL but adding JFK to make CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL seems a jump from ICCC00S2 fare basis to DNNC00S2 fare basis, with a large uptick in price.

It is possible to modify to include HEL to make CAI-LHR-HEL-LAX-HNL for a small price increase which is useful for extra TP's but it introduces large slack periods in the booking in HEL etc.

Looking at the fare rules I can't see where it's tripping up from I to D:

2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
2 PERMITTED VIA BA ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH
DIRECTION
2 PERMITTED BETWEEN BA AND IB IN EUROPE IN
EACH DIRECTION
2 PERMITTED VIA IB ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH
DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA AND AA/BA/IB IN
EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION.
AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND B6 IN BOS/
JFK IN EACH DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND AS IN LAX/
PDX/SEA IN EACH DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND WS IN
CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND HA IN
HAWAII IN EACH DIRECTION
2 PERMITTED VIA AA/BA/IB ONLY IN UNITED
STATES/CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION.
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
COMPONENT.

These are the same Transfer rules between I and D. So it's possible to tack on HEL in Europe but not add JFK in US.

Any advice appreciated. I will dig into the fare rules some more! I can't find mileage restrictions in there though.

Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Hoping the experts here can help me diagnose issues with my pricing. Last year I did a CAI-HNL run which was great for connecting to AUH to see friends etc. I was looking at a similar trip this year and can get good pricing CAI-LHR-LAX-HNL but adding JFK to make CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL seems a jump from ICCC00S2 fare basis to DNNC00S2 fare basis, with a large uptick in price.

It is possible to modify to include HEL to make CAI-LHR-HEL-LAX-HNL for a small price increase which is useful for extra TP's but it introduces large slack periods in the booking in HEL etc.

Looking at the fare rules I can't see where it's tripping up from I to D:

2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
2 PERMITTED VIA BA ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH
DIRECTION
2 PERMITTED BETWEEN BA AND IB IN EUROPE IN
EACH DIRECTION
2 PERMITTED VIA IB ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH
DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA AND AA/BA/IB IN
EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION.
AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND B6 IN BOS/
JFK IN EACH DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND AS IN LAX/
PDX/SEA IN EACH DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND WS IN
CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION
1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND HA IN
HAWAII IN EACH DIRECTION
2 PERMITTED VIA AA/BA/IB ONLY IN UNITED
STATES/CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION.
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
COMPONENT.

These are the same Transfer rules between I and D. So it's possible to tack on HEL in Europe but not add JFK in US.

Any advice appreciated. I will dig into the fare rules some more! I can't find mileage restrictions in there though.

Thanks.

havent looked at rules but

no Saturday night stay?

no I class available on trans on

even at £1800 that a third more expensive than last year and that fare allowed stopovers and not just transit stops
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
[QUOTE=binman;30915911]

havent looked at rules but

no Saturday night stay?
"NO MINIMUM STAY REQUIREMENTS APPLY."

no I class available on trans on
Hmmm true! Just checked EF and there's no I availability LAX-JFK at seemingly any time in the future. Very weird.
even at £1800 that a third more expensive than last year and that fare allowed stopovers and not just transit stops
Yes certainly more expensive than before, unfortunately.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
I believe you need BA codes the whole way, which Matrix can't deal with. Try Propellor Travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.