Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Dear Friends,

I just wanted to share some (reasonably-legitimately acquired! ) tips that may be helpful to anyone attempting our favourite TP runs from AUH to CGK… This post is quite long, but the TP thread seemed the most appropriate place to put it. If anyone thinks otherwise, just let me know.

1) Online check-in on Sri Lankan
As has been discussed, Srilankan like to check credit cards before you travel, so this can be problematic. There is a solution, however. If you pay with a visa or mastercard which use securecode in the payment approval process (the little window that comes up from your bank and asks you to enter some personal data to approve the transaction), you don’t have to have the credit card check. However, the booking doesn’t always get marked as pre-approved automatically, so you also need to follow up by emailing your booking to [email protected] to ask them to mark it OK for online check-in. Then the third step, to be safe, is not to use the app to check-in – just use the website (and the full version of the website at that, not the mobile version). Doing all three of these has never failed me – and you get a nice pdf boarding pass emailed to you.

2) Back to backs in Abu Dhabi
If you have checked in already, this will actually work reasonably problem free (unless something unhelpful like a coaching arrival happens – I’ve not had one at AUH, and the place is reasonably efficient, so I’d say there was still a reasonable chance). Even from the furthest away pier in AUH T1, it was only 5 minutes to go thro transfer security and get to a gate (or spend a couple of minutes or even have a shower in the Plaza Premium Lounge which UL uses – to your left as you come down the stairs from transfer security). They don’t check boarding passes at security, and they have the facility to print them at the gate.

3) Transit thro Colombo without a printed boarding card
Weirdly, while they seem happy enough to take a virtual boarding pass (eg on your phone) at the gate (they just scribble your details down on a piece of paper to reconcile it), they won’t in the lounge. So if you want to use the lounge and don’t have a printed boarding pass, you’ll need to pop to the transfer desks beforehand. Expect to be completely ignored here by the agent you’re standing in front of for a good few minutes, while she watches her colleagues argue with another passenger. I don’t say this to be mean – it’s just that it’s happened to me every single time I’ve needed to go to that desk….

4) Arrival in Jakarta’s newish Terminal 3
My oh my this is a big building! Your top tip if you arrive at one of the furthest away gates on the spur that comes off the end of the main building (gates 1-4 for departures) is to take a ride on the free electric golf carts that wait where the spur turns the corner into the main building. This will save you a good few minutes in reaching immigration or transfers!

5) Back to backs or other transfers at Jakarta
IF you have a printed boarding card (doesn’t need to be airport issued – it just needs to be on physical paper, say if you’ve had the pdf emailed to you), then you can go to international transfers, on your right just before you turn the corner to reach immigration. Only the Garuda desks are ever staffed here (hence the need to have the paper boarding card in advance). Go to the guard at the desk with your passport and boarding pass – he’ll look at it like he’s never seen one before, and take a photo of both with his phone (which I presume/hope is officially issued) and then you’re good to go up the escalator, through a small security check (where again, they’ll be amazed to see you) and you’re into the cavernous departure hall. With the use of the golf buggy, I reckon I’ve done aircraft to lounge in under 10 minutes even when arriving at one of the furthest-away gates (the Plaza Premium lounge which both MH and UL use is in the same location in departures as the buggy pickup was on the arrivals level, where the main terminal turns the corner to the spur serving gates 1-4).

6) Back to back or regular transit in Jakarta WITHOUT a printed boarding card
Now here’s where it gets entertaining – even though the gates at Jakarta will accept phone boarding passes, the guard at the bottom of the escalator (and probably the staff at transit security) won’t. Though you can certainly try to argue your case, not that it got me very far... (As an aside here, I’ll mention that the desk at the bottom of the escalators isn’t always staffed. If the bloke goes for a walk around, you could get up the escalator unchallenged if you’re bold. But I don’t know if you’d have any more luck persuading the people at transit security to accept your phone boarding pass. Note I’m not recommending this…) But there is an official alternative. You can transit landside, WITHOUT needing to get a visa. If you just go to the immigration desks (the ones marked FOREIGNER, and as a further tip, to avoid having to queue, try going to the two rightmost Foreigner desks, which are used by arrivals facilitation services expediting paying customers thro) and show them your onward booking, or phone boarding pass, tell them you’re in transit but that there’s no-one to issue your boarding pass, they will let you through, stamping your passport with a “Visa Exemption” stamp. You then go thro baggage claim and customs, and up the escalators to departures as quickly as possible. This probably works more easily with some passports than others though!. If you’re attempting a back-to-back on UL’s 1 hour turnaround, it’s quite possible the check in desks will be closed and unable to print you a boarding pass, so you’d need to then negotiate/argue your way thro security with the phone version (tho as I say, the gate is quite happy to take the phone boarding pass). But at least you can try. If on a regular transit, you can at this point easily get your onward boarding card printed…

[Right - I just asked UL's check-in team at CGK when they close their landside desks. They say if you aren't already checked in, the latest is STD - 60 minutes. BUT if you have checked in online, they say, the desks are open to print boarding cards until 10 minutes before departure!!! Take that with a pinch of salt. I find it quite hard to believe, personally - I've been past their counters at STD-20, and they've been deserted. And whilst it's possible to get from desk to gate if security isn't busy in 10 minutes, I still think that'd be too late. But even if they can print a boarding card 40 minutes before departure, that would make the landside back-to-back route almost foolproof as well... Maybe the first person to try this and succeed (or fail) can confirm the truth of when the desks really close.]

7) Espresso Martinis
Perhaps most importantly of all, since Srilankan carry kahlua on board, you can get them to make you an ersatz espresso martini if you like - ice, some of their brewed coffee, kahlua and vodka. It’s not perfect, but it’s not bad…

So in summary, if you plan properly and check-in and print boarding cards in advance (and find out which lounges along the way will let you print - recall that even lounges that don’t have printing facilities in them can often print you a boarding pass document at the front desk if you talk to them nicely and email them the document), then there’s nothing to stop you doing easy transits, or even back-to-backs at both ends of this popular run… And also note that the sector lengths are short enough that Srilankan return crew both the Gulf and Jakarta flights – so it won’t hurt to tell the crew to expect you back if you’re doing a back-to-back. As a further interesting issue, I've noticed that the Jakarta and Abu Dhabi services often use the same aircraft. I don't know whether this is a formal fixed link in UL's aircraft planning, but it may give you a bit of additional reassurance if you have a delayed arrival. Enjoy!

Last edited by DrBernardo; Mar 8, 2019 at 12:26 am Reason: Added UL's claims on check-in closure time at CGK
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
Dear Friends,

I just wanted to share some (reasonably-legitimately acquired! ) tips that may be helpful to anyone attempting our favourite TP runs from AUH to CGK… This post is quite long, but the TP thread seemed the most appropriate place to put it. If anyone thinks otherwise, just let me know.

<snip>
Thank you for this informative post.

FYI (and other's), there is a dedicated thread for these runs, including a Wiki, to add flights and hotels, also with lots of tips/tricks, some similar to what you describe.

Last edited by onobond; Mar 8, 2019 at 1:47 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:17 am

Hiya everyone,

Where would the cheapest place be to get 20 TPs from London?

Many Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Hiya everyone,

Many Thanks
LON-EDI/GLA/MAN/LBA etc. Book into a 10 TP earning bucket each way, you'll likely need to call BA to do that.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by flashware
LON-EDI/GLA/MAN/LBA etc. Book into a 10 TP earning bucket each way, you'll likely need to call BA to do that.
Thank You
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by RG1X
Anything in "The Luxury Sale" worth looking at for TPRs?
I was going to ask the same. Looking to book a run... 540 pointer!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC (Blue, usually)
Originally Posted by jazzspice
The AUH-CGK on UL or ARN-SIN on QR sounds right up your alley for both of those — they'll get 560TP sans positioning. Don't think the luxury sale weighs up well for TP runs.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD
was it same crew or they change in Frankfurt?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by jazzspice
Luxury Sale may not be your answer for a 540TP run ..... this will be a job for QR ex EU to Far East.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: ba
hey guys, first time posting here - grateful for all the help and information. I am just starting my calendar year with BA - I travel mostly with AA but find rewards to be better when im using BA tiers. Im based in NYC - and can do any tier run, premium fare is fine. where should I look to find good deals? thanks
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Some interesting CE prices for Saturday nights away both for 40 and 80 TP routes. TLfL has helpfully git a summary list and highlighted the shorthaul+ routes

https://www.turningleftforless.com/b...rst-from-1580/
Brainless69 and RG1X like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
LHR-JFK-LAX-SAN-LAX-JFK-LHR - £1500 over Christmas/New Years Eve return
RG1X likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Hiya everyone,

Many Thanks
LHR-AMS.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
LHR - LUX 11th May back on 12th is giving 45 tier ponts , outbound economy and back on business (business from European airport is usually cheaper)

You can get 20 points cheaper on a Bucharest economy run later in 2019, so knowing date requirements is important
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:48 pm
dnw

Originally Posted by Markie
LHR-JFK-LAX-SAN-LAX-JFK-LHR - £1500 over Christmas/New Years Eve return
would you be able to link to a working example of this please? thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.