Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct Ł0.96/TP Ł154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb Ł1.90/TP Ł152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug Ł2.06/TP Ł329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul Ł2.99/TP Ł2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec Ł1.90/TP Ł1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr Ł2.29/TP Ł640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan Ł1.52/TP Ł668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr Ł0.90/TP Ł215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr Ł 0.76/TP Ł 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr Ł 1.04/TP Ł 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May Ł 0.70/TP Ł 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun Ł 0.52/TP Ł 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 Ł0.95/TP Ł479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB Ł1.49/TP Ł1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 Ł2.07/TP Ł2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 Ł1.80/TP Ł721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by cgtechuk

Originally Posted by onobond
A great find ^^^, thanks for posting.

Using your routing, searching for some random days in November, ITA matrix had a suggestion of an extra stop in PLZ in the "Flight 4", ie in all reading:
CPT-PLZ-JNB-WDH-JNB-GRU-JNB-VFA-JNB-DUR-PLZ-CPT = 640 TPs. This did not increase the price. Will check Comair's routes, there might be a possibility to add more segments?

Although this itinerary also is containing a TATL return, it still is a deja vue of the mega-run to PTY. Need to fill up with 5 segments more though

Now for the bad news. LA's 767 business cabin gets lousy reviews. Obviously lie-flat seats, but narrow and outmoded, and service does not impress. Will have to think more than twice...
That is a good one managing to add it as a connecting stop, I tried adding the leg but it burst the milage of 6450 one way which forced it as D class but it being a mandatory connection seems to let it through good spot!

The 767 isnt brilliant but it's a small sacrifice lol, you could literally go for 2 weeks and see 4 different countries for less than 1k , The flights on BA codes will earn better avios too. Panama yeah, I have one of them in June before they pulled unlimited transfers :-)
Having more time to play with ITA Matrix tonight, I tried adding another segment, with DUR inserted in "Flight 1". That obviously meant exceeding MPM, possible to do, but at an almost Ł200 higher price. For that price, I could figure other excursions. Never mind, 11 segments will do
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
*Rocks back and forth*

I do NOT need any more TPs

*Opens Google Flights...*
*sigh*
i know what you mean.

any ideas on how to improve this little itinerary? stop in JNB for 3 days is intended, deadline is Oct 19, have to be in back in TXL in the evening of Sun 20. Thanks in advance. i tried VFA a lot. no success.. it always says "no flights found. Start a new search" :/

Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
A great find ^^^, thanks for posting.

Using your routing, searching for some random days in November, ITA matrix had a suggestion of an extra stop in PLZ in the "Flight 4", ie in all reading:
CPT-PLZ-JNB-WDH-JNB-GRU-JNB-VFA-JNB-DUR-PLZ-CPT = 640 TPs. This did not increase the price. Will check Comair's routes, there might be a possibility to add more segments?

Although this itinerary also is containing a TATL return, it still is a deja vue of the mega-run to PTY. Need to fill up with 5 segments more though

Now for the bad news. LA's 767 business cabin gets lousy reviews. Obviously lie-flat seats, but narrow and outmoded, and service does not impress. Will have to think more than twice...
How do you get matrix to make a suggestion?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by webstereo
How do you get matrix to make a suggestion?
Oh, that honor is only bestowed to the most frequent ITA users, holding the solid Rhodium card

Jokes aside, allow for extra stops. When you get the list of possible flights, there are 8 small white panels, the second from last being "STOPS". Scroll down and you might find a larger number of connecting stops, than your search specified.

This is not just for international travel with longer routings. A couple of years ago, I was planning a journey HEL-EDI, connecting in LHR. For a slightly higher price than the standard HEL-LHR-EDI-LHR-HEL routing, I also had suggestions like HEL-LHR-ABZ.KOI-EDI-LSI-ABZ-LHR-HEL Did check on BA's multi-city search and it was a valid routing, and price suggestion was right. Didn't have time for that then, but will do it in the future.

There is, of course the possible HEL-EDI r/t, but then again, this is FT

Life isn't that short, to justify only going with direct flights

Last edited by onobond; Feb 15, 2019 at 1:01 am Reason: typpo
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by James31
How was the B2B? Was it easy?
Not as simple as some (e.g. AMS) The non-schengen transfer before passports wasn't open. So from leaving the plane I walked across the apron, into Non-Schengen arrivals through passports (one person ahead of me in the queue). Turned right and right again after passports, then though crew/connections where I had to clear security again and show my boarding pass. I still had time to grab a proper coffee at Costa (4am start!) before showing my passport at the non-schengen gate entrance, turns out there is a costa on the non-schengen side too!

It's very simple really, the quicker you get off the plane the more time you will have. I guess the queues will build up quite quickly at passports.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Having more time to play with ITA Matrix tonight, I tried adding another segment, with DUR inserted in "Flight 1". That obviously meant exceeding MPM, possible to do, but at an almost Ł200 higher price. For that price, I could figure other excursions. Never mind, 11 segments will do

fantastic good to see others getting booked up

@Nephoi did you get the extra segment option?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by stuarttheap
Apologies for duplicating post.

Just did LGW-MLA back to back yesterday and it was super easy, and great price at the moment! I managed to get close to Ł1/TP

To clarify was this on the AUH CGK or the LGW MLA as if it's the latter i would like to know how you pulled that off :-)
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
The CPT - GRU example above showed a fare class of ZEEEV00Q but Matrix and Expertflyer now only shows ZEXEV00Q. The change seems to be that unlimited stopovers seems to have been replaced with 1 free stopover and 2 extra at $100 each - am I reading that right? Did they pull the original deal? Still unlimited transfers I think.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
The AUH-CGK fare is available again, a tiny bit pricier than the one before and valid until 12/3/19.
Dates for travel are available as far as November, for what I've seen.
wilsnunn likes this.

Last edited by Lefly; Feb 15, 2019 at 6:22 am Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
To clarify was this on the AUH CGK or the LGW MLA as if it's the latter i would like to know how you pulled that off :-)
LGW/MLA

2 nested tickets as follows (avios gained almost equal to avios used to lower cash price) -
€189 (I used 6,500 avios to bring the price down from €245)
Ł186 (I used 6,500 avios to bring the price down from Ł236)

That works out at Ł1.09/tp

Last edited by stuarttheap; Feb 15, 2019 at 8:39 am Reason: additional information
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stuarttheap

LGW/MLA

2 nested tickets as follows (avios gained almost equal to avios used to lower cash price) -
€189 (I used 6,500 avios to bring the price down from €245)
Ł186 (I used 6,500 avios to bring the price down from Ł236)

That works out at Ł1.09/tp
How you do your own maths is up to you, but the standard practice on this board is not to use Avios inefficiently to reduce a cash fare and then claim to have a lower Ł / TP.

You ended up over Ł1.25 / TP roughly...
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:07 pm

Oh I see, it's in the results rather than the search
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Just booked AUH - CGK over the first May bank holiday weekend. My first tier point run and should hit gold soon after always being blue! Also got positioning flights on BA WT+ for a good price, found them cheaper elsewhere and used the double price guarantee.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by braiden9
Just booked AUH - CGK over the first May bank holiday weekend. My first tier point run and should hit gold soon after always being blue! Also got positioning flights on BA WT+ for a good price, found them cheaper elsewhere and used the double price guarantee.
Me too

What flights are you on ?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Fitch
Me too

What flights are you on ?
BA73 2nd May
AUH to CGK 3rd May
CGK to AUH 5th May
BA72 6th May

You doing any of these?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.