Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
An interesting one for the nutters () on here: ARN-HNL/OGG/LIH/KOA and return, for £1,643 for 1,080 TPs (£1.52/TP). The bonus is that it can be done in as little as 73 hours should you wish:

ARN-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL/OGG/LIH/KOA-LAX-JFK-LHR-HEL-ARN

You could route on A350/A330 between HEL and LHR for a better product, but it would take a little bit longer since you would have longer transfers (approx 75 hours).

Fare basis: ILN2T8S6 for travel in July/August.
If I had not already booked OTP-PHX for this July, I would have given it some thought

H
sugarloops1 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Hi all

Wiser and more experienced heads may be able to build on this, but I can construct the following for August 9th - the day the app reverts to zero....

OTP - LHR - MAD - JFK - LAX - PHX - LAX - JFK - BCN - LHR - OTP: 880 TPs for £1,252 (£1.42 per tp)

Then a cheeky nested PHX - LAX - MIA - Havana - MIA - LAX - PHX: 440 TPs for around £650 (£1.47 per tp)

So 1,320 TPs for around £1,900. Buy the positioning flight to OTP for £500 for 160 tps and you're virtually there. I think both itineraries require a Saturday night so its not a quick dash, and Havana might be getting a bit hurricane-y at that time of the year, but a few days in Havana is very tempting...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:02 pm

Hi all, considering this for OTP-PHX and hoping to reroute via LAX after a schedule change.

Couple of questions on this:

Is it if any flight in the itinerary changes departure time by x mins I can change the routing? Or just AA operated?

Does the rerouting have to be reasonable? e.g. Can I reroute the JFK-PHX even if it's only a later flight in the itinerary that changes, say JFK-LHR, which shouldn't really impact anything?

Finally, is that rerouting even possible given the short changeover in PHX (which is weirdly less than 24 hours, not a Sat night, but does price up around £1,410 on aa.com.)

Thanks in advance!

​​​​​
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Not sure on the first question but I thinjk for the second part it is a valid routing ( IIRC the international transatlantic segment needs to leave after the saturday night dtay ( so the sunday JFK-LHR flight is good)

Regards

TBS
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Quick question regarding the BA avios/tier points calculator: The Finnair segments are showing 0 tier points on the BA site. Is the site not working properly? First it says it doesn't recognize the route, LAX-HEL/ARN, then will "recover" to show 0 tier points.

I've been playing with the ARN-HNL run posted above, and wanted to make sure those segments would earn the correct tier points.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
Quick question regarding the BA avios/tier points calculator: The Finnair segments are showing 0 tier points on the BA site. Is the site not working properly? First it says it doesn't recognize the route, LAX-HEL/ARN, then will "recover" to show 0 tier points.

I've been playing with the ARN-HNL run posted above, and wanted to make sure those segments would earn the correct tier points.
Hi,

I think as the LAX -HEL route is new and has not started yet ( starts 31 March 19) the BA.com calculator has not been updated yet. I think I have seen this on several new routes recently. Standard TP and Avios will be earned.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Ok... Maybe I have just become completely crap at this, since it is several years since I tried to plan an AA TP run... But...

I have tried variations of routing from the west coast to east, then to central America and back again, and I am not getting any reasonable fares at all... Have I missed some big change in this?

Flipping annoying me now...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think as the LAX -HEL route is new and has not started yet ( starts 31 March 19) the BA.com calculator has not been updated yet. I think I have seen this on several new routes recently. Standard TP and Avios will be earned.

Regards

TBS
Thank you for that info. Excellent! I have been out of the travel (TP run) loop the last few months, and was not aware of the new route.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Ok... Maybe I have just become completely crap at this, since it is several years since I tried to plan an AA TP run... But...

I have tried variations of routing from the west coast to east, then to central America and back again, and I am not getting any reasonable fares at all... Have I missed some big change in this?

Flipping annoying me now...
I think AA changed the rules that more than two segments before/after the International legs and the fares go up. It put an end to the endless hops on the way to Panama.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:20 am

Hello Everyone,

Firstly let me say thank you for such an informative thread and all the tips on gaining TP's.

I am totally new to all this TP run business and having read back through I know you are all more willing to help if we have done our own research first so I have done my best, but have got myself totally stuck. After a lot of playing around I have sort of got use to the ITA Matrix Tool, we enough that it didn't just keep saying to me no results lol.

I'm planing to take my girlfriend on a surprise trip for her birthday to New York and figured I would try and make it into a cheeky TP run at the same time.

She is a child social worker and on duty that week which means she can finish late depending on how many emergency cases come in so I have to work around that. Her birthday is the 16th May so that is the day we need to fly to New York but looking at flights late evening on the 15th, returning the 19th which would get us back early morning on the 20th. She has the 20th off completely so have a lot more flexibility to try and maximise the TP's on the return leg. I don't fully understand everything I have read, but don't think it helps we are based in London when trying to plan a TP as the usual connecting leg would be XXX-XXX-LHR-JFK-XXX-XXX.

I've looked at various countries we could get to easily enough on the 15th and Dublin seems a good pick (I pretty much checked most of Europe) and I managed to come up with this which is actually cheaper then the same flight LHR to JFK for some weird reason by a good £1000.

16/05/19
DUB(J)-LHR(A)-JFK

19/05/19
JFK(A)-LHR(J)-DUB

£2686.65 PP

I did look at going to Helsinki on the return for futher TP's for a couple of hundred more but no matter what I do I have the same problem, If I add a flight to say London to Dublin on the 15th it says no flights found for the whole thing, If I tried to add a flight back on the ITA Matrix from Helenski on the 20th it will also say no flights found even though we would get into Helenski at 3.15pm on the A350.

I'm probably missing something obvious or haven't fully understood how to make full use of the ITA Matrix so any help is appreciated. The outgoing flight on the 15th would ideally need to be from LHR after 20:00 or near it and on the 20th May we just need to be back in London at a reasonable time of like 22:00 so she can get home and sleep for work the next day.

Thanks,

P.S. Sorry for such a long post, my first try at this so got into a bit of a rant.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by redmanmark86
Hello Everyone,

Firstly let me say thank you for such an informative thread and all the tips on gaining TP's.

I am totally new to all this TP run business and having read back through I know you are all more willing to help if we have done our own research first so I have done my best, but have got myself totally stuck. After a lot of playing around I have sort of got use to the ITA Matrix Tool, we enough that it didn't just keep saying to me no results lol.

I'm planing to take my girlfriend on a surprise trip for her birthday to New York and figured I would try and make it into a cheeky TP run at the same time.

She is a child social worker and on duty that week which means she can finish late depending on how many emergency cases come in so I have to work around that. Her birthday is the 16th May so that is the day we need to fly to New York but looking at flights late evening on the 15th, returning the 19th which would get us back early morning on the 20th. She has the 20th off completely so have a lot more flexibility to try and maximise the TP's on the return leg. I don't fully understand everything I have read, but don't think it helps we are based in London when trying to plan a TP as the usual connecting leg would be XXX-XXX-LHR-JFK-XXX-XXX.

I've looked at various countries we could get to easily enough on the 15th and Dublin seems a good pick (I pretty much checked most of Europe) and I managed to come up with this which is actually cheaper then the same flight LHR to JFK for some weird reason by a good £1000.

16/05/19
DUB(J)-LHR(A)-JFK

19/05/19
JFK(A)-LHR(J)-DUB

£2686.65 PP

I did look at going to Helsinki on the return for futher TP's for a couple of hundred more but no matter what I do I have the same problem, If I add a flight to say London to Dublin on the 15th it says no flights found for the whole thing, If I tried to add a flight back on the ITA Matrix from Helenski on the 20th it will also say no flights found even though we would get into Helenski at 3.15pm on the A350.

I'm probably missing something obvious or haven't fully understood how to make full use of the ITA Matrix so any help is appreciated. The outgoing flight on the 15th would ideally need to be from LHR after 20:00 or near it and on the 20th May we just need to be back in London at a reasonable time of like 22:00 so she can get home and sleep for work the next day.

Thanks,

P.S. Sorry for such a long post, my first try at this so got into a bit of a rant.
The late evening departure on the 15th restricts you a bit. For example, if you could leave in the morning then for £1795.50 each you could do something like https://flights.app.goo.gl/HBbgE

If you work on the basis that you would fly over to DUB late on the 15th and overnight, you could then do something like £1764.50 each for https://flights.app.goo.gl/xmR6i
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Hello Everyone,

16/05/19
DUB(J)-LHR(A)-JFK

19/05/19
JFK(A)-LHR(J)-DUB

£2686.65 PP

Thanks,

i am all for TP runs and have done several however JFK is not a good choice and my advice would be not to do this but keep it simple and let you girl friend enjoy her surprise New York Trip and the short time you have available.

This game is not for everyone and if you were going to Vegas or Hawaii I would have a different view.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
Then a cheeky nested PHX - LAX - MIA - Havana - MIA - LAX - PHX: 440 TPs for around £650 (£1.47 per tp)
Remember that you will need a pink tourist card for Cuba, when entering from the US as a tourist. You won't get a pink one from Europe, so you'll need to buy one from the US. Other foreign travel origins use the green ones, for instance MAD-HAV or HEL-HAV.

That's why I didn't opt for a nested Cuban TP run, but instead will be doing Central America in May for qualifying again for Gold. Too much extra hassle with my time constraints.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Do you want to maximize the TPs or just get a cheaper flight in Club World with BA to NYC? That's basically what outlines where your TATL ticket should originate, how many segments you try to include and which airline you want over the pond. Personally I wouldn't do ex-DUB for NYC, but then again I would be out for TPs, not a cheaper BA CW experience. If you don't intend to rake in further TPs during your membership year, then it's a little bit pointless to maximize the TPs, unless you want your SO to get a proper TP run experience and that's the thing for your mini holiday.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by flashware
The late evening departure on the 15th restricts you a bit. For example, if you could leave in the morning then for £1795.50 each you could do something like

If you work on the basis that you would fly over to DUB late on the 15th and overnight, you could then do something like £1764.50 each for
Hi, thanks for the fast reply. I really want her to experience the Concord Room and the first class experience for the LHR-JFK leg as the work she does is stressful and she deserves it (that flight is on the 16th), the first one would leave on the 15th when she would be at work hence the late evening on the 15th. I'm not sure why on the ITA Matrix if I put LHR-DUB as the first flight on the 15th then DUB-LHR as the second on the 16th it starts to say it cannot find any flights but a return from LHR-DUB on the 15th and 20th is about £200 total each for Business.

Originally Posted by binman

i am all for TP runs and have done several however JFK is not a good choice and my advice would be not to do this but keep it simple and let you girl friend enjoy her surprise New York Trip and the short time you have available.

This game is not for everyone and if you were going to Vegas or Hawaii I would have a different view.
Hi, I appreciate that it isn't ideal but honestly the same flights LHR to JFK leaving from London come in at over £3600 so the saving going over to Dublin first is insane even with a one night hotel. The route I said above would have us in JFK at around 14.05 so the day isn't really wasted. The return flight leaves at 23:00 so we would still get all of the 19th. I got her to take the 20th off because of the time difference so it was more the return leg I figured we could take most advantage off.

Yeah wish I knew about TP runs back in October when I want to Las Vegas for a wedding, though it wasn't the worst either as we did do LHR-LAX-Las Vegas, though LAX must have the worst boarder control as it took over 2 hours to get through the queue so we missed our AA flight and were moved to Alaska and lost out on our TP for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.