Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I don't tend to drop a 40TP CE flight.
If it were say 5TP only, then I might look at things in a different light.

Never been assisted or met at any point on any airline to be honest, even with really tight connections.
Markie, mikeyfly and dougzz like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by pinkcat
Only do it once or twice a year though or you will be met at the jetbridge to "help" you get your flight to DUB !
Back in the day, when GGL, I had the occasional welcome on the jetbridge arriving at JFK to orientate me for my onward connection Gate and up to the Lounge. A lovely touch but not needed.
I have never seen or heard of assistance to get one from LHR jetbridge to LGW for a transfer ... definitely would be an interesting experience.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Currently got an INV-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS TP run on hold with aa.com @ £1400. This would be my very first TP run. I know the flights can be found cheaper, but the connections are good. Do I book or not? This would give me gold if it's 760 TP's due to LAX-LAS being in first.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stephenjc
Currently got an INV-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS TP run on hold with aa.com @ £1400. This would be my very first TP run. I know the flights can be found cheaper, but the connections are good. Do I book or not? This would give me gold if it's 760 TP's due to LAX-LAS being in first.
Only 40 for short AA first, it gets business TPs, so 720 total.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by xenole
I don't tend to drop a 40TP CE flight.
If it were say 5TP only, then I might look at things in a different light.

Never been assisted or met at any point on any airline to be honest, even with really tight connections.
I've been assisted a lot, but always the other way around - connecting from short haul to my long haul when it has been tight.

I'd imagine BA are a lot more concerned about getting me on my long haul when the alternative is an EU261-worthy delay, than they are about getting me onto my DUB/AMS when they know they can just put me on the next one an hour later.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Temps
Only 40 for short AA first, it gets business TPs, so 720 total.
Thanks, why does the TP calculator state 60 then?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by littlefish
Back in the day, when GGL, I had the occasional welcome on the jetbridge arriving at JFK to orientate me for my onward connection Gate and up to the Lounge. A lovely touch but not needed.
I have never seen or heard of assistance to get one from LHR jetbridge to LGW for a transfer ... definitely would be an interesting experience.

True, it was a LHR-DUB connection it happened to me
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
It's the fare code that is based on, so you'll find it's I rather than F or A regardless of what AA call it.

You used to get 60 but they stopped it a couple of years back.
stephenjc, CMH Jay and george77300 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL / Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Because AA only flies a two class or sometimes three class ( with PE) on domestic flights and it's Economy or First. Domestic First is considered Business. This is the same in other places for two class domestic configurations as well such as with short haul Qatari flights. If you want to be sure and specific, look at the fare buckets .
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
i just got an email from BA cause the departure time of one of my flights in the Summer ARN-MIA TP run changed. it now leaves 06:30 a.m. instead of 08:15 a.m.

question 1: is "i dont want to get up this soon" a good reason for calling the hotline and ask for options?
question 2: how big is the chance that an additional will be allowed? (MSY-DFW-ORD instead of the booked MSY-ORD)?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by pma.tang
Because AA only flies a two class or sometimes three class ( with PE) on domestic flights and it's Economy or First. Domestic First is considered Business. This is the same in other places for two class domestic configurations as well such as with short haul Qatari flights. If you want to be sure and specific, look at the fare buckets .
Not the case on Qatar. Lots of Middle eastern routes book Business into First. But you get F and A buckets unlike on AA so on my DOH-MCT in Business class but with the F bucket got 60TP. I think the Qatar within the Middle East might be the last place this happens. You get full F lounge access too. Most definitely not the case on AA in Domestic First.
Markie likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by pma.tang
Yeah, I see the fare class is I, I understand it all now. So, I'll be 20 TP's short from gold 🤔
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by pinkcat
Only do it once or twice a year though or you will be met at the jetbridge to "help" you get your flight to DUB !
Presumably by driving you from LHR to LGW??
alex67500 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Nephoi
i just got an email from BA cause the departure time of one of my flights in the Summer ARN-MIA TP run changed. it now leaves 06:30 a.m. instead of 08:15 a.m.

question 1: is "i dont want to get up this soon" a good reason for calling the hotline and ask for options?
question 2: how big is the chance that an additional will be allowed? (MSY-DFW-ORD instead of the booked MSY-ORD)?

Thanks in advance
1. A reason as good as any, IMO
2. The question is free, of course. If its an AA ticket (001-) chances are better than if BA (125-). But the sun might shine on you, so call and find out. If not the answer you would like? HUCA (Hang Up and Call Again). Another agent might see it your way. Good luck!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by onobond
1. A reason as good as any, IMO
2. The question is free, of course. If its an AA ticket (001-) chances are better than if BA (125-). But the sun might shine on you, so call and find out. If not the answer you would like? HUCA (Hang Up and Call Again). Another agent might see it your way. Good luck!
okay. Thank you. So basically it’s luck. It’s an 125 ticket. I call Ba in Germany and ask for a specific agent. I had good experiences in the past with her. It that doesn’t work huaca and if that doesn’t work either I set the alarm.

Thank you. Have a nice sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.