Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
What have you found for yourself so far?

+1.

also, others may be more willing/able to assist you if you provided more information, such as:

home airport, dates available, budget, citizenship

good luck!
lorcancoyle likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just wondering if I could please get some advice on this - Wanting to avoid spending time in London over New Year - so have decided to go to Taiwan (extended family are there) and also try build up some TP to retain my BAEC Silver. I will need 430 TP to retain silver, with my year ending April 8, silver expiring end of May 2020. This will be my first time doing an Ex-EU flight to try and get more TP. I know I could go to TPE in economy return for about £700 but what's the fun in that....

I've managed to find the following:

Questions:

1. Feeder flight to ARN from LHR - Is it better to go the day before, or the day of? The day of there is an 0835 BA flight that gets me in at 1215, or there is one the night before. These set of flights would be £169 or thereabouts. A night at the Raddisson Blu in ARN is about £110.

2. BKK-TPE: how much time would I need to have (minimum) in BKK at both ends to make it in time? I found this which seems ok, but just want to get some opinions on whether it would be too rushed or not - this return would be £199

Any advice / help / suggestions greatly appreciated! Also, am I completely nuts for wanting to do this?!
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by vegelion
1. Feeder flight to ARN from LHR - Is it better to go the day before, or the day of? The day of there is an 0835 BA flight that gets me in at 1215, or there is one the night before. These set of flights would be £169 or thereabouts. A night at the Raddisson Blu in ARN is about £110.
I like to go the night before - so it makes an unrushed experience and if something goes wrong there's time to work out alternative plans.

2. BKK-TPE: how much time would I need to have (minimum) in BKK at both ends to make it in time? I found this which seems ok, but just want to get some opinions on whether it would be too rushed or not - this return would be £199
Immigration at BKK can be a zoo and you'll have to go through it twice, so again - an overnight connection might seem like a better option. If you can travel HBO and are able to check-in on-line for your TPE flights, then you could use transfer route which is usually painless.

Have you considered booking CX on avios via HKG? both QR and CX will check your luggage through to your final destination, so it would simplify your connection at BKK.
Markie and WickedStepMother like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
When not doing a B2B, my rule is to position a flight in advance. I'm risk adverse and I'd be sleeping far better the night before in ARN than in London.

The 0835 BA flight is interesting though. It's likely to be the first of the day for the aircraft and it is from BA's hub so they may be able to swap out if it goes tech. If the aircraft is inbound from elsewhere, as you've got four hours in ARN, you can still afford a delay of a couple of hours.

I'd personally still go the night before.

£170 one way is quite pricey, have you looked into RFS?
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by BA707

I'd personally still go the night before.

£170 one way is quite pricey, have you looked into RFS?
Oooh good point. Thanks! There is reward flight availability which brings down the cost for sure. Avios pricing seems to have changed from the standard 8000 +£35 one way off peak?

Now just have to see if its enough time to spend in tpe with two nights in bkk both ends
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I'm continuing a process of trying to decide on an inaugural tier point run for my next BAEC year (starts in April). Currently looking at OTP-PHX in early July. So far I've come up with the trip below. Has anyone got any suggestions to improve it?
Is there any suggestion that the price is likely to drop anytime in the next few months?

Thanks

Old Sep 22, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
can you not get jfk-lax-phx and viceversa?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
310TPs by Nov 8th? Doable?

Need 310 TPs to keep Silver by Nov 8th. Can only travel Fri-Sun or Sat-Sun from London (though happy to position if needs). Doable without spending a fortune?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
can you not get jfk-lax-phx and viceversa?
Breaks MPM with the HEL shuffle.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by megaloman
I like to go the night before - so it makes an unrushed experience and if something goes wrong there's time to work out alternative plans.

Immigration at BKK can be a zoo and you'll have to go through it twice, so again - an overnight connection might seem like a better option. If you can travel HBO and are able to check-in on-line for your TPE flights, then you could use transfer route which is usually painless.

Have you considered booking CX on avios via HKG? both QR and CX will check your luggage through to your final destination, so it would simplify your connection at BKK.
Ok thanks for letting me know about BKK. It seems that the QR flight has gone, but there is one at 525am. Does anyone (or do you know) about BKK airport, and how early I will be able to drop my bags for that flight? Again, probably too risky to fly in on the flight that gets in at 2:20am - keen to hear whether the airport quiets down over night and if it's doable, but I'm leaning towards not, and just getting there, putting my bag in storage, wandering around the city for a bit, and then coming back at midnight...

Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit79
Need 310 TPs to keep Silver by Nov 8th. Can only travel Fri-Sun or Sat-Sun from London (though happy to position if needs). Doable without spending a fortune?
Try returns in CE to the usual 80TP destinations. OTP, HEL, SOF, TIA. If safe for a back to back (I've only done HEL, can't comment on the others) you can nest two returns and spare hotel costs (one LHR-HEL-LHR, and one HEL-LHR-HEL). For budget about 500gbp. Haven't looked in the last 2 weeks though.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club: Silver
Hi all, I'm looking to reach 600 TP from my current 0 by the end of February. In that period I have three flights giving me 20 + 80 + 300 = 400 TP, I don't have any reasonable upgrade options on these.
I also have a LHR-LIN return flight, currently in lowest economy at 10 TP return, but it has the option to upgrade the outbound and return leg to Club Europe at £139 each, giving 40 TP each. I was considering upgrading one leg of my LHR-LIN to Club Europe to get 40 TP, and doing a return LGW-MLA in Club Europe in Jan/Feb at £237 to get 160 TP. In total this would be £376 for 200 TP, or £1.88/TP. Is this a good idea, or can I go from my 410 TP (including the currently booked Italy flight) to 600 in less than that?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by pacenotes
You can get SOF to HEL for £409 at the moment with a £209 for a LHR to SOF that should be 480 points for £618 which is a 1.30/TP

Not the best run as its only one flight a day to SOF and HEL but I live very close to LHR so no real transport costs each day. Weekends in January and February when I looked.
Inspired by this I looked for somewhere warmer from SOF. I've booked:
6/12 SOF-LHR (home for night)
7/12 LGW-ACE (2 nights Lanzarote)
9/12 ACE-LGW (home for night)
10/12 LHR-SOF (night in SOF)
for 474 euro less 33 euro in exchange for 3000 avios

with
5/12 LHR-SOF (night in SOF)
11/12 SOF-LHR
for £209 less £40 of voucher for a previous price promise.

Without the avios/voucher about £630 for 480 TPs which I think is about £1.31/TP (sums not my forte).

Don't really need to stay the 2 nights in SOF but am a bit of a lightweight when it comes to 3hr+ B2Bs.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Oooh good point. Thanks! There is reward flight availability which brings down the cost for sure. Avios pricing seems to have changed from the standard 8000 +£35 one way off peak?

Now just have to see if its enough time to spend in tpe with two nights in bkk both ends
For ARN it would be 7500 peak (6500 offpeak) plus £17.50 one way.

The prices haven't changed but BA have introduced a £1 taxes option which isn't the best value.
HfP explains it here
https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...s-redemptions/

The more traditional pricing will still be available for selection.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BA
Just wondering if I could please get some advice on this - Wanting to avoid spending time in London over New Year - so have decided to go to Taiwan (extended family are there) and also try build up some TP to retain my BAEC Silver. I will need 430 TP to retain silver, with my year ending April 8, silver expiring end of May 2020. This will be my first time doing an Ex-EU flight to try and get more TP. I know I could go to TPE in economy return for about £700 but what's the fun in that....
Last year Teipei over new year eve was a mess. Rainy night...

I would fly ARN SIN (almost the same price) and hop on an economy flight to KUL. KUL TPE deals are right now on MH website. For 445-500 UKP to TPE RT gives you 280TP. I do this 6-8 times a year. It's an easy 4 hour and some minutes flight. The crew is nice and you got sate as much as you want (or they have).

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.