Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Joeleh
Also, and recommendations on what searches I should be doing based out of HEL would be greatly appreciated so that I can do the hard work myself
HEL-AGP-HEL is a ~550 € classic. However with BA you can do many of the 40 and 80 TP Club Europe destinations via LON, flying BA metal only. The main issue is do you wish to overnight in London and are you happy to position between LHR and LGW? As BA now has a less frequent service, ex-HEL isn't as simple as it has previously been. For instance HEL-LHR-EDI/GLA is a pretty convenient alternative. I do recommend you try out and be creative with your searches.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
I’m looking for some help with optimisation for a work trip. I need to travel out 15/16/17 June and travel back on 28 June.

I could pay about £3.1K for a simple LHR-BKK-HKG in J and return HKG-LHR in F. Quite simple, F on way back, not many TPs.

I could also do LHR-HEL // HEL-DOH-HKG-DOH-HEL // HEL-LHR. Q-Suites and 720 TPs, and cheaper at around £2.5K.

I don’t mind the extra legs. Are there any suggestions in more TPs for a similar budget? I could easily justify £3.5K.

Thanks in advance

Old May 17, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL / Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
I’m looking for some help with optimisation for a work trip. I need to travel out 15/16/17 June and travel back on 28 June.

I could pay about £3.1K for a simple LHR-BKK-HKG in J and return HKG-LHR in F. Quite simple, F on way back, not many TPs.

I could also do LHR-HEL // HEL-DOH-HKG-DOH-HEL // HEL-LHR. Q-Suites and 720 TPs, and cheaper at around £2.5K.

I don’t mind the extra legs. Are there any suggestions in more TPs for a similar budget? I could easily justify £3.5K.

Thanks in advance

I haven't checked the price specifically but I have done a similar itinerary with ARN added in.
ARN-HEL-DOH-HKG-DOH-HEL-ARN
Old May 17, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Oops - just seen that you need to get to Hong Kong - not Bangkok. Still the current MH deal is a good one and worth posting in any case...

Not sure if this helps, as it would require separate tickets, but currently there is a MH ex-China sale on (actually finished two days ago, but now extended), with PVG-BKK (return) at 384GBP (1.06GBP/TP). Similar prices available to Phuket and MH destinations in Vietnam/Cambodia, with prices a touch higher for destinations in Malaysia.

So if you can get to Shanghai for 2K GBP on QR you could end with with 560+360 = 920 TPs for less than 2.5kGBP total outlay. Seems also to be plenty of availability in June.

EDIT: Oops - just seen that you need to get to Hong Kong - not Bangkok. Still the current MH deal is a good one and worth posting in any case...

Last edited by GinFizz; May 18, 2019 at 12:58 am
Old May 18, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR and other stuff too tedious to mention
Originally Posted by SkiSunday

Try GF, you can put in a origin and leave the destination blank. Select Oneworld............,
Thanks @SkiSunday, I had no idea that you could do that with GF - really helpful in my search for ex-DOH itineraries.

B

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
SkiSunday likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:08 am

I asked here a few days ago for help (need 180+ TP; am free most days until the end of July; based in FRA).

What I came up with now are three flights, all on the same day:

AMS-LGW on BA2761 13:50 to 14:10 - 40 TP for 127 EUR

followed by

LGW-CTA on BA2594 16:55 to 21:10

and (direct turnaround)

CTA-LGW on BA2593 22:00 to 00:20+1 - 160 TP for 327 EUR.

I found it via GF but have difficulties booking this, presumably as the MCT in CTA isn't met.

BA doesn't let me book it and demands at least 120 min between flights in CTA.

The funny thing is, though, Expedia in principle allows booking of this direct turnaround but only in Eco.

Any suggestions on how to get this ticketed in C?
Old May 18, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by lipsum
Any suggestions on how to get this ticketed in C?
Book it as three x one ways?

PS do you know if you can do a Back to Back in CTA? - the wiki says "CTA: Reasonable, there is a transfer route signed but seems obsolete. However small and efficient airport so still do-able if going via landside" however I dont know if its up to date.
lipsum likes this.

Last edited by sunshinebob; May 18, 2019 at 9:24 am Reason: added wiki notes
Old May 18, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Book it as three x one ways?
I guess that might be the only way. And thanks for pointing me to the direct turnaround thread, I will ask there how risky it is.

In any case, just to share: It seems to me that in June-July '19, CTA and KBP are among the cheapest 80 TP destinations.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Nephoi
how about FRA-MAD return wit Latam? thats 80 TP each leg.
It is 80 TP per return trip - each leg is in fact only 40 TP in Business.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paulieuk
It is 80 TP per return trip - each leg is in fact only 40 TP in Business.
you are absolutely right. My bad. Double checked in in my history. I’m so sorry
Old May 19, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Just found a nice fare to HEL from LHR in J. Out Friday 15/11 BA 794 @ 11:10, back Sunday 17/11 BA 799 @ 17:00. £221 each - the only date in the calendar a 2 day trip is this price. Earns 160 TP plus a nice chunk of Avios. Showing 4 seats left on both legs, even though it said that before I booked two!
CaroFos and peter h like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by essexadventurer
Just found a nice fare to HEL from LHR in J. Out Friday 15/11 BA 794 @ 11:10, back Sunday 17/11 BA 799 @ 17:00. £221 each - the only date in the calendar a 2 day trip is this price. Earns 160 TP plus a nice chunk of Avios. Showing 4 seats left on both legs, even though it said that before I booked two!
Thank you - just booked as well. There seems to be plenty of CE availability, but I don't know how the price will change.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
You snooze - you loose! £278 now - still cheap tho!
Old May 19, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by CaroFos
You snooze - you loose! £278 now - still cheap tho!
if you look at bas cheap fare finder adjusting from 7 nights to 2 nights there appears to availability on other November dates at 221 return, eg November 2. Likewise availability for 3 nights at the lower price.
CaroFos likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Executive Club
AA have rescheduled me on my upcoming OTP-PHX run. I'm positioning to OTP and doing the first let in July, then the second leg LHR-PHX on 3rd August. I booked LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX:

But it seems that AA341 has been cancelled on that day, and there are no flights that can get me to LAX in time to catch that last flight to PHX at 7:36pm. AA have rebooked me on a simple LHR-LAX-PHX itinerary, which loses me 140TP of course.

Before phoning them to try to rearrange, I'm trying to find an itinerary I would like, but I am really struggling. I can't find any via JFK and LAX that don't require an overnight at LAX, and ditto via JFK and SFO. I've tried other east coast connections like PHL and BOS, but neither of those work to get me to PHX on that day. I can find a few via ORD or DFW, but of course then the connecting flights are only 40TP. And I wanted to try the lie-flats on the transcon, ideally. The best I've managed is either to stay overnight in LAX and get to PHX the next morning, which is suboptimal, or to just go LHR-JFK-PHX, in which case I miss out on just 40TPs but do get to PHX at a reasonable time that evening.

Can anyone give me any tips of things I've not tried? How long do I have, following a rescheduling, to call AA to rebook? And should I just hope that they reschedule again and something closer to my old itinerary becomes available again? Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.