Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm getting £1,225 for INV-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-SFO and back - should I be able to improve on that? Also is there a minimum stay requirement please?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ajm1987
I'm getting £1,225 for INV-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-SFO and back - should I be able to improve on that? Also is there a minimum stay requirement please?
Main fare rules are here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30621227-post72.html
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ajm1987
For a HEL shuffle that seems to be about the right price.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
For a HEL shuffle that seems to be about the right price.
Great thank you, and thanks KARFA for the link.

Does this also seem about right? If it seems strange at all, it may be because I was after:
- all A350 for LHR/HEL legs
- BA 747 upper deck on the outbound transatlantic
- try AA business class on the return transatlantic

Not a bad price at all but any suggestions to reduce it are of course welcome!

EDIT: can't add an image for some reason, please see here: https://imgur.com/qAI5TD4
alexb1212 likes this.

Last edited by Ajm1987; Jan 7, 2019 at 1:43 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:00 pm

*Sigh* I knew I should have checked for any updates before booking my OTP-PHX trip. INV even to LAX or LAS would have been a lot more convenient, though only marginally cheaper. Nevermind.

Apropos, it all worked out well booking the flights on the phone. The chap was probably one of the best I have ever spoken with it. He took a guess and asked if I had everything written done and told me to e-mail it to him. The actually booking process only took about 10 minutes, but we were chatting during it so that stretched out to about 25 minutes.

Master Hoch is off to PHX for the summer!

H
IAANN likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:15 pm

Thanks guys. Managed to get the BA1 into the routing but it pushes the cost upto 17K!

Happy to book a more straight forward route without airport change. Is there a quick tool/way to work out the Tier points from ITA fares?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by savzur
Evening everyone

With a few hours left for booking this wonderful run, I thought I'd share my itinerary for those folks who want to get to the LAS in August and then maybe connect to other places that aren't 40 Celsius.

Phoned BA to book. Smooth ride. Lady was fascinated to see a price below 1k on her screen for this.

Keep flying!
Ive tried to get the same as you however i get the last flight in INV and also the LAX to LAS is economy unless i am missing something from the matrix?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Not completely TP maximised but enough TP for under a grand..... dates 7-18 April
INV-LHR-PHL-LAS LAS-PHL-LHR-INV 747 and those nice new A321 cross country £983 booked with Flight Network in the end due to AA.com still messing me about
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:12 pm

Quick question... AA or BA for the business class return from JFK?

Apparently Boeing 777 (AA 104) vs Boeing 777 (BA182)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by RG1X

AA every time.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

i personally prefer BA to AA, but I’m aware there are others on here who disagree. What I would say is that BA’s 777 is BA’s worst J hard product IMHO.

WESTLANT departures are mainly about eating dinner and sleeping. It took 98 minutes from wheels up to dinner being served in AA in my recent flight on AA, vs 52 on my last BA flight. The white-Company bedding on BA is superior to the cheap blanket on AA. You get the perception of more personal space on AA, unless you like me don’t like your foot area brings more restrictive and in a box.BA lounges offer free pour access to alocihol and better food options than AA lounges although the Flagship Lounge on AA is a significant improvement.

EC261/04 wouldnt apply to a booking on AA in the event or IRROPS.

YVMV.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:18 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Booking this via BA (not interested in going via NY) and need to book it by phone, given the UK call centres have now closed, does anyone have any ideas? I'm assuming tomorrow morning will be too late...

Secondly, just in case I run out of options and have to book with AA via NY, what would I put into flight matrix to make it delay my final leg LHR-INV to the following day/morning? Currently I've put the code ":LAX NYC LHR". If I add 'min connect' it makes all of the connections on the return longer!?

Any help much appreciated

Last edited by PxC; Jan 7, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold

AA all the way. Direct aisle access. CX lounge access in T3. Consistent food offering on board with per order. Solid IFE Bose headphones and IMHO good solid crew. Oh and the raid the larder is extensive and beautifully presented. I would not choose BA TATL when AA 777 lie flat available. Just did ARN MIA lie flat on AA everything on time, no fuss no bother. By comparison BA flights delayed and service ropey at best

trip report

ARN MIA comfortably in 3 days - with pictures.

Last edited by binman; Jan 7, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:24 pm

Ahh, T3. Sold!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
This has been the first thing of interest in the area of TP runs for a long time for me, and such a short window. I tend to be slow to react to get going. I also backed off the OTP to PHX runs because all the transcons were either 6am or 11pm, making it a general grotty run of either 3am airport arrivals or 15 hours in the lounge... INV and back to MAN sounds wonderful too.

I wasn't planning any TP runs in recent times, what with the potentially currency extremities upcoming, and perhaps a lot less travel (and back to back travel difficulties and visas) in the next six months. My silver will run out this time next year, and I don't see anything but unsunny weekends in bognor for a few years at least. But glad to see others are keeping on...

I've been institutionalised by TP runs not great priced from and to places I don't want to, at crap flight times for so long now. Three years. This is the first one to pop for me, and if they extend it, I might reconsider.. Only silver because QR's decent prices to Auckland until they got blockaded....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.