Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother

I think you’ll find that many Tier Point runners don’t actually have anything to share with anyone when they reach their destination - simply because they turn around and come straight back, sometimes never even leaving the airport!
thats me.... a TP run is there for a purpose....
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Starwood, Hyatt
Originally Posted by CharliesAngels
Fair point lol. I was though looking for example at the routing to Hawaii and it involved a couple of days before starting the return journey. I could imagine doing a day or two of routing between AMS-JER to accrue points on my own. But I think the long haul runs would need a day or two at the destination to allow my body to recover. Hence why I'm curious to know if in practise for these larger TP runs, it makes sense to just bite the bullet and pay the extra for your wife or girlfriend to come along.
I am of an age where I need a day or two to recover (or three if Hawaii). A bit of solo travel is fine for me (and hardly a hardship when travelling towards the front of the plane) and I prefer to see something at the other end. Mrs Hammers is not keen on TP optimised trips but rather enjoys the perks of First Wing, etc...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver

So I've just booked my first proper TP run ARN to HNL for 1080 points plus another 160 points positioning for another £338, overall £1.55/TP which I think works out quite well. A couple of nights in Honolulu to have a look around.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HighlandBoy

So I've just booked my first proper TP run ARN to HNL for 1080 points plus another 160 points positioning for another £338, overall £1.55/TP which I think works out quite well. A couple of nights in Honolulu to have a look around.
Hello, would you be able to post a screenshot of the input screen with the values please as I'm unable to replicate this or any of the other fares. ITA Matrix keeps returning fares in exccess of £2500. I'm obviously doing something wrong but can't figure out what!

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Hello, would you be able to post a screenshot of the input screen with the values please as I'm unable to replicate this or any of the other fares. ITA Matrix keeps returning fares in exccess of £2500. I'm obviously doing something wrong but can't figure out what!

Thanks
The rules for this fare state
PERMITTED 14APR 19 THROUGH 30MAY 19 OR 25JUN 19 THROUGH 06SEP 19 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR
Even within this period, there are certain dates where the fare is significantly higher, presumably because the booking class is sold out. And, of course, a Saturday night stay is required.

Start by looking for a simple ARN-HNL fare for the dates you want and then, when you find one, add the intermediate stops.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:06 am

Thanks
Depart: ARN
Routing codes: HEL LHR JFK LAX
Extension codes: alliance oneworld

Destination: HNL
LAX JFK LHR HEL
alliance oneworld

Note the date restrictions on this fare:

PERMITTED 14APR 19 THROUGH 30MAY 19 OR 25JUN 19 THROUGH
06SEP 19 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
MaxFlyer, nixande, daftboy and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:19 am

Thanks
This is what I entered into matrix

Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If you start in AGP you can add more TPs bringing it to 1200TPs for £2.1k

Last edited by VFRonTop; Mar 19, 2019 at 12:17 pm Reason: correction to TP calc
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HighlandBoy
This is what I entered into matrix

Thank you
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:13 pm

The only TP runs I have done have been "flights to nowhere" where I'm there and back in a day. Time is very precious for me, so a real TP run for me would involve an overnight stay away at the most really. I sometimes do POUGs and AUPs for TPs even though on the face of it the $ per Avios is quite bad, but it doesn't take me any more time and I enjoy the odd upgrade (two birds, one stone; death!) I may be looking at a slightly more comprehensive TP run later this year/early next year, but again it would be as short as possible, unless I can somehow work it into my other trips. I'm almost always alone.

rb211.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:05 am

Can anyone eek out a few more TP's for an A350 TP run in Jan 2020?? £1484 for 720TP @£2.06/TP
Pack and THEOBCMAN like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
It would appear the ARN & DUB deals have now gone back up. Interestingly some ARN dates for the west coast have only risen by a few hundred but unfortunately it now pushes past my 'good deal' limits! The remaining dates and prices may still be of use to some though.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ab007
It would appear the ARN & DUB deals have now gone back up. Interestingly some ARN dates for the west coast have only risen by a few hundred but unfortunately it now pushes past my 'good deal' limits! The remaining dates and prices may still be of use to some though.
Quite a few fares expired on March 19. As you noticed, there is a slightly higher priced ARN-HNL/OGG fare ( INX9C7S4 on BA) - but this also has a restriction of a minimum stay of 7 days. In fact at the moment there are no I or R fares for ARN-HNL with only a "Saturday night stay" requirement (they all specify 7 nights minimum). The OTP-PHX fare is still there (or at least a version of it - again at a higher price than previously, but with just a Saturday night stay requirement - as well as travel on only on certain weekdays for the transatlantic flights).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ab007
Glad I booked when I did then as the price has now gone up by £2k.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ams ILX8T8S6 fare

Posted by flygod on the premium fares thread.

You should be able to get two connections in the US so a trip to LAX could look like AMS-LHR-JFK-PHX-LAX rtn for 720 TPs.

[EDIT: you can go to ANC and get 920 TPs with something like AMS-LHR-JFK-PHX-ANC rtn. You must avoid booking any flights which are AS markedted & AA operated, AA marketed & AS operated, and AS marketed & operated as these will not earn any TPs.]

Example prices:

NYC - £910
MIA - £960
ORD - £915
LAX - £930
SFO - £928
LAS - £940

Hawaii doesn’t seem to be included.

some rules

PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU.
PERMITTED 14APR 19 THROUGH 30MAY 19 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR
OR - PERMITTED 25JUN 19 THROUGH 06SEP 19.
RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 28 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 6 DAYS AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND
OR -
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND.
STOPOVERS NOT PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
RESERVATIONS MUST BE MADE ON/BEFORE 03APR 19.
alex67500 and Iamnotlost like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 21, 2019 at 4:44 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.