Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davem4
LGW - MXP in CW is £150 for some departures in Jan.

Looking for cheapest LHR CW for a 1 or 2 night over the weekend, hopefully at least 751 miles.

Any suggestions?
out of interest, what is the significance of 751 miles?
davem4 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by KARFA
out of interest, what is the significance of 751 miles?
Its the next band up for QF Credits the Qantas version of Tier Points, I am guessing davem4 is renewing QF status
davem4, alex67500 and KARFA like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Howard Long
For personal domestic reasons, I have long term unavoidable commitments at home that usually require my attention, so I have to take my opportunities as they become available, and this was one of them.

It wasn't super cheap, but neither was it horrendously expensive bearing in mind the last minute nature. The long haul itineraries were about £1.8k each and the short haul itineraries between £600 and £800. I would imagine if you can book ahead, and are flexible with your time, you can get the long hauls for about £1.3k and the short hauls for around £260. It's definitely not the cheapest way of doing a mileage run. You may well already be aware, but QR have for some time been offering some good fares out of ARN, CPH, GOT, OSL and HEL compared to other Western European cities to BKK and sometimes other SE Asia destinations like SIN and HKG.
Indeed I have a BKK booked from Stockholm for Easter that was super cheap (£1.2k) given the dates.

I should probably do some unnecessary (ie not for an actual holiday) travel one year and get gold rather than always ending up at 800-900 TPs and take advantage of the soft landing the following year.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Its the next band up for QF Credits the Qantas version of Tier Points, I am guessing davem4 is renewing QF status
Also CX band 2 earning 25 instead of 15 tier credits in marco polo
davem4 and cgtechuk like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:54 am

For personal domestic reasons, I have long term unavoidable commitments at home that usually require my attention, so I have to take my opportunities as they become available, and this was one of them.

It wasn't super cheap, but neither was it horrendously expensive bearing in mind the last minute nature. The long haul itineraries were about £1.8k each and the short haul itineraries between £600 and £800. I would imagine if you can book ahead, and are flexible with your time, you can get the long hauls for about £1.3k and the short hauls for around £260. It's definitely not the cheapest way of doing a mileage run. You may well already be aware, but QR have for some time been offering some good fares out of ARN, CPH, GOT, OSL and HEL compared to other Western European cities to BKK and sometimes other SE Asia destinations like SIN and HKG.
If you are doing a TP run from ex-EU (for example OSL) There is also a possibility to fly via LHR or HEL to DOH. This will give you 80 extra TP for around 2-300£ extra. I have done this before.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
still working on this TP optimizing for that PDX fare.
Originally Posted by thebigben
Nice fare and good luck If you have more specifics about your requirements I could help with a search, been wanting to do a video describing the process for a while so it may be educational.
Very interested to see what you come up with Nephoi - purely for academic purposes, as I'm not able to take advantage of this one. I love seeing the different options and how people optimise them (for speed, comfort, particular aircraft combos, etc). If thebigben were to do a screencast, I'd certainly find that educational and I'm sure many others on here would too.
Palty likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
If you are doing a TP run from ex-EU (for example OSL) There is also a possibility to fly via LHR or HEL to DOH. This will give you 80 extra TP for around 2-300£ extra. I have done this before.
Yes I’m aware, I mentioned it earlier, and have also done that previously via HEL & ARN. However I was time constrained and this was not going to work for me bearing in mind I had to fit in a wedding in between my itinerary.

You can make 800 TPs per trip that way. But alas it wasn’t going to work for me on this occasion with my other constraints.
TravelManBiz likes this.

Last edited by Howard Long; Jan 6, 2020 at 11:54 am
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:16 pm

Yes I’m aware, I mentioned it earlier, and have also done that previously via HEL & ARN. However I was time constrained and this was not going to work for me bearing in mind I had to fit in a wedding in between my itinerary.

You can make 800 TPs per trip that way. But alas it wasn’t going to work for me on this occasion with my other constraints.
How do you get 800 TP? Say for example I start at OSL. It should be 40+140+140 each way? If you have more stops, then how do you book that?
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
How do you get 800 TP? Say for example I start at OSL. It should be 40+140+140 each way? If you have more stops, then how do you book that?
If you do, say, LHR-HEL-OSL-DOH-BKK-DOH-OSL-HEL-LHR, you get (80+40+140+140) x 2 = 800.

There's often negligible difference in price doing LHR-HEL compared to LHR-HEL-OSL/ARN/CPH/GOT.

The way I have booked the short hauls is directly on the Finnair website.

Last edited by Howard Long; Jan 7, 2020 at 1:12 am
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
- has anyone experience with that AA787 Businessclass?
I have done a few times 787-8 in Flagship Business with AA. Just remember to select your seat in advance before all the AAdvantage upgrades. Had pleasant flights myself.

- any ideas on getting the 10th leg (second outbound in EUrope?)
With the routing you want (LHR-PHL), it's not doable. Starting in EDI, rather than INV, EDI-HEL-LON would be great, but not doable. Same goes for MAN.

- any ideas on how to get A321T on the inbound leg?
You mean Flagship Business between JFK and LAX/SFO. Remember that there's no domestic three class Flagship service on other routes. The BOS-LAX inauguration was cancelled. I think MPM won't be sufficient to do PHL-NYC-LAX, but haven't looked at it yet.

Are you currently BAEC Silver or Gold?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
I have done a few times 787-8 in Flagship Business with AA. Just remember to select your seat in advance before all the AAdvantage upgrades. Had pleasant flights myself.

With the routing you want (LHR-PHL), it's not doable. Starting in EDI, rather than INV, EDI-HEL-LON would be great, but not doable. Same goes for MAN.

You mean Flagship Business between JFK and LAX/SFO. Remember that there's no domestic three class Flagship service on other routes. The BOS-LAX inauguration was cancelled. I think MPM won't be sufficient to do PHL-NYC-LAX, but haven't looked at it yet.

Are you currently BAEC Silver or Gold?

i am gold Right now.
i think flagship Business transcontinental is doable via bos. Also in the new ba a 350 lhr - bos. That’s what I found out
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Pyrite
i think flagship Business transcontinental is doable via bos.
American ceased the 3-class LAX-BOS A321 service last autumn. It's now 2-class A321s with domestic First recliners.
Nephoi likes this.

Last edited by Zzzap; Jan 7, 2020 at 5:15 am Reason: Route clarification
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
i am gold Right now.
Okay, asking this purely for lounge access. In that case I'd route via LAX and not CLT. At LAX you have three lounges at your disposal. CLT is an excellent airport for transit, but other than that, I at least always keep my time there to a minimum. Queen city may Charlotte, NC, be, but not a royal airport for lounge extravaganza.

i think flagship Business transcontinental is doable via bos. Also in the new ba a 350 lhr - bos. That’s what I found out
BOS-LAX (and v.v.) there's no three class Flagship service. There's indeed Airbus A321 aircraft on the route, but that's the usual two class domestic service with First and Main Cabin.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Yes, the 3-class A321T is no more in the BOS-LAX route. Interestingly though, finding 2 of 3 direct BOS-JFK AA flights are that aircraft, the third is a B737. They are all marketed as Domestic First, all three priced the same, and with basic fare class I. As the 'business cabin on the 321T is managed and seated as Main Cabin, the I class tix availability soon run out, with only 10 seats in the first cabin, versus 16 on the 737. I guess there wouldn't be much 'Flagship' treatment on a 1h 20min flight .

It makes me figure going to BOS on an A350, connecting to JFK on an A321T..... Contrary to popular belief, the sky is no longer the limit.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by onobond
Yes, the 3-class A321T is no more in the BOS-LAX route. Interestingly though, finding 2 of 3 direct BOS-JFK AA flights are that aircraft, the third is a B737. They are all marketed as Domestic First, all three priced the same, and with basic fare class I. As the 'business cabin on the 321T is managed and seated as Main Cabin, the I class tix availability soon run out, with only 10 seats in the first cabin, versus 16 on the 737. I guess there wouldn't be much 'Flagship' treatment on a 1h 20min flight .

It makes me figure going to BOS on an A350, connecting to JFK on an A321T..... Contrary to popular belief, the sky is no longer the limit.

this wont work either. cause i have 3 stops in NA then. BOS, JFK and LAX... Price goes up to 7.7k GBP... last option would be one of the Ba176/174 services LHR-JFK which already have the new business class. But this seems the worst option. on the other hand i would have transcon flagship. Damn... what should I do now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.