Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct Ł0.96/TP Ł154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb Ł1.90/TP Ł152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug Ł2.06/TP Ł329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul Ł2.99/TP Ł2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec Ł1.90/TP Ł1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr Ł2.29/TP Ł640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan Ł1.52/TP Ł668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr Ł0.90/TP Ł215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr Ł 0.76/TP Ł 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr Ł 1.04/TP Ł 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May Ł 0.70/TP Ł 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun Ł 0.52/TP Ł 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 Ł0.95/TP Ł479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB Ł1.49/TP Ł1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 Ł2.07/TP Ł2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 Ł1.80/TP Ł721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Pfff, https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/ and 0207-660-2300.

Never had much luck with the PowerTools link to AA.co.uk is the main issue - and constructing it yourself now falls afoul of the limits they've placed on the multi-city tool [though it's been a while since I tried].
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by etiene
Never had much luck with the PowerTools link to AA.co.uk is the main issue - and constructing it yourself now falls afoul of the limits they've placed on the multi-city tool [though it's been a while since I tried].
right click on the link for AA UK/US, change `US` to `GB` at the begining of the query string and if you have AA fare on outbound, it should price up in GBP. Otherwise call them to book, they'll price it up in GBP without problem.
etiene likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by etiene
That's why I book mostly AA and BA tickets by phone. Haven't had any phone booking fees and I get precisely what I want and I get to pay in the currency I want, by choosing where I call. I have thus no need for that PowerTools stuff.
etiene likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:41 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Turning Left for Less on Sunday reported a BA special offer from DUB to LAS/LAX from Ł1293. Various routes were available allowing 720 TP accumulation. Dates from 25 December to 31 March flying the transatlantic sectors Monday to Thursday. ITA Matrix gave me DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB for Ł1344 and 720 TPs. A similar fare was through BOS instead of JFK though you don't get to fly on the AA 321 Transcon. You need to book today.

Neither BA nor Skyscanner showed availability or similar price. However TA Propeller had no trouble coming up with valid timings and price. So booked it immediately with them and allocated seats myself on MMB. Now a very happy bunny.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
AA have just changed my January exINV run, making it slightly less lucrative in the TPs. My JFK-LAS flight has been broken into JFK-CLT-LAS, 60 fewer TPs. The arrival time only changed by about 20 minutes. I searched but only found threads on what to do when the time change is over 120 minutes or about claiming ORC in IRROPS, nothing quite as specific as this. I took an unplanned trip to Venice last week leaving me up 15 TP, but I booked the INV trip because I was going to be borderline. I might need another trip for the 40 or 45 now.

Before I call, does anyone know what my options are, if any? Is this the right place to ask?

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Arsey00
AA have just changed my January exINV run, making it slightly less lucrative in the TPs. My JFK-LAS flight has been broken into JFK-CLT-LAS, 60 fewer TPs. The arrival time only changed by about 20 minutes. I searched but only found threads on what to do when the time change is over 120 minutes or about claiming ORC in IRROPS, nothing quite as specific as this. I took an unplanned trip to Venice last week leaving me up 15 TP, but I booked the INV trip because I was going to be borderline. I might need another trip for the 40 or 45 now.

Before I call, does anyone know what my options are, if any? Is this the right place to ask?

Thanks
maybe you could ask for a reroute JFK-LAX-LAS ? its worth a shot...
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:16 pm

Thanks
JFK-PHL-LAS, JFK-PHX-LAS, JFK-MIA-LAS... few options.. check out the fun graphic(s) in the Wiki for inspiration.
Arsey00, Thysk and Nephoi like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

Thanks
Some thing similar happened to me on the return leg of my last run. Original return routing was LAS-LAX-JFK-HEL-LHR-MAN. The last timetable change ruled out the LAS to LAX connection so AA corrected which reduced the TPs. I called up and agreed to go LAS-PHX-JFK.... instead which preserved the TPs as PHX-JFK is a 140 TP route and as this was a day flight the lack of a lie flat bed wasn’t an issue.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Thanks all, I've already checked out alternative routings (JFK-PHX-LAS works with my incoming, LAX not quite but does if I spend one night in LA rather than LAS). But I was more wondering about how short the time difference is, everything I found said I needed a two hour time change to get them to reroute it?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Thanks all, I've already checked out alternative routings (JFK-PHX-LAS works with my incoming, LAX not quite but does if I spend one night in LA rather than LAS). But I was more wondering about how short the time difference is, everything I found said I needed a two hour time change to get them to reroute it?
My understanding is that BA wants 120 minutes of difference (either departure or arrival) to change, but AA will make a change for a much smaller time difference. Call & see what they say.

Last edited by HPN-HRL; Dec 20, 2019 at 9:31 pm
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I've made AA change me for a 45 minute change a few times. "Won't give me enough time to get from my meeting to the airport now". They're generally pretty good so long as you're looking to reroute and not cancel.

Twitter team are brilliant.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I think they may well want a 2 hour change if its just the flight time that's changed and you're still on the same flights. You've had a flight cancelled, or some other change that has broken your itinerary, so I think you should be able to change to anything (within reason).
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Centurion, Virgin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have just started using ITA Matrix for the first time, and I am trying to get from LHR > CAN for 3 days in February for as many tier points as possible.

Could somebody please advise why the attached routing does not yield any results yet the LHR>MAD, MAD>DOH, DOH>CAN all are valid individual legs? I have always flown with as few connections as possible so this is all very new to me! I have tired the same with Paris and Barcelona too and have the same thing.

Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by controlz
I have just started using ITA Matrix for the first time, and I am trying to get from LHR > CAN for 3 days in February for as many tier points as possible.

Could somebody please advise why the attached routing does not yield any results yet the LHR>MAD, MAD>DOH, DOH>CAN all are valid individual legs? I have always flown with as few connections as possible so this is all very new to me! I have tired the same with Paris and Barcelona too and have the same thing.

Thanks.

You can force a fully flex J fare on the above routing but you won't find any competitive fares on any routing like this (or your one)

Your best option for maximum TPs would be LHR-DOH-CAN. (560TPs) You can get fares with more segments (LHR-HEL-HGK-CAN) but that routing actually only yields 520TPs. its the 2000miles+ segments that make QR routes so favourable.

Last edited by VFRonTop; Dec 19, 2019 at 11:41 am Reason: Correcting myself
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
For anyone not following the Premium Fare Forum, the AUH/DXB-CGK run on UL is again on sale, starting from 2475 AED /518 GBP x 560 TPs.
Combined with a positioning flight using the current BA sale (INV-AUH-LHR starts from 383 GBP in WT+) it's a very nice run.

Details/Info on the run can be found here Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T
DesperateDan and skicowboys like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.