BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 30, 21, 11:55 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jfkeze
Wiki Link
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct 0.96/TP 154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb 1.90/TP 152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug 2.06/TP 329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul 2.99/TP 2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec 1.90/TP 1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr 2.29/TP 640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan 1.52/TP 668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr 0.90/TP 215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr 0.76/TP 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr 1.04/TP 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May 0.70/TP 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun 0.52/TP 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 0.95/TP 479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB 1.49/TP 1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 2.07/TP 2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 1.80/TP 721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 10, 19, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
Regarding a TP Run BKK-KUL-BOM, anyone knows if can do a back-to-back in BOM?
I would land in BOM from KUL at 22.25 with MH 194 and go back to KUL at 23.25, MH 195. Same aircraft I suppose. Hand baggage only.
Old Dec 10, 19, 4:10 am

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Protocol7 View Post
I would land in BOM from KUL at 22.25 with MH 194 and go back to KUL at 23.25, MH 195. Same aircraft I suppose. Hand baggage only.
Arrivals are on a separate level so you'll need to go through the flight transfer desk. BOM has got some of the longest corridors I've seen so if MH park at one end of the terminal, you may have to sprint to make it back.
I believe BOM's policies don't allow for 'in app' boarding passes for international flights so make sure you've got the pass for the return leg in your email or print it in KUL.
Old Dec 10, 19, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by gforce View Post

Arrivals are on a separate level so you'll need to go through the flight transfer desk. BOM has got some of the longest corridors I've seen so if MH park at one end of the terminal, you may have to sprint to make it back.
I believe BOM's policies don't allow for 'in app' boarding passes for international flights so make sure you've got the pass for the return leg in your email or print it in KUL.
My advice is to have the BP printed, together also with your full itinerary. Bringing that along, you might try to talk nicely to the Lounge Agent at the Golden Lounge in KUL, who might be able to print a regular BP for you. My experiences in airport with mostly Int/Dom transfers, and very few Int/Int, is that the immigration officers not only dislike MBP, but seems to be more confident in helping out, if the format of your documentation is familiar.

Your transfer time of roughly 50 min before door closure is, IMHO, shortish. In case you've bought this as a return ticket, and not 2 separate o/w, you'll be protected. But, after travelling with MH, I know they even have 2h MCT on a domestic return, disabling a true B2B at a domestic destination with frequent flights, like PEN.

Good luck!
Old Dec 10, 19, 5:31 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
How are you planning on getting round the VISA check for BOM? You will be asked for it at checkin for the flight and is one of the reasons you can't get in APP boarding passes.

If however you are an Indian Citizen or from a country with no visa requirements then YMMV, B2B, they can be really funny about this.

Most of the MH fares have a 1 night minimum stay on them anyway so you might not be able to book a b2b but if you are talking about booking a BKK KUL BOM then nesting a BOM KUL BKK in the middle then be careful as you might need a multi entry visa or at the very minimum a transit visa but returning on the same aircraft is not classed as "Transit", That and MH have a thing about flying sectors "Out of Sequence" that might cause issues.
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by onobond View Post
Your transfer time of roughly 50 min before door closure is, IMHO, shortish. In case you've bought this as a return ticket, and not 2 separate o/w, you'll be protected. But, after travelling with MH, I know they even have 2h MCT on a domestic return, disabling a true B2B at a domestic destination with frequent flights, like PEN.
That's concerning; I was planning to try a B2B at JHB next month; do you know if it's possible there? Separate tickets, same plane.
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:39 am

Thanks for your suggestions.
My first TP run will be in January BKK-KUL-BOM return, will stay in BOM for 4 nights and as I undestand that as a European citizen, with my passports, I can apply for a 60 days tourist e-visa.
My next TP run on the same route is Feb 6- feb 10.
I wanted to change the dates of the return flight and stay in BOM only one night but its more expensive than buying a new ticket.
Therefore im trying to throw in another TP run on the reverse route, it would be a new booking BOM-KUL-BKK Feb 6-10.
On both days, 6 and 10 and would have this short connection.
Why do I need a visa check if Im not entering the country, its just a transfer. All flights are in business btw.
Alternatively I could pick a Flight BOM-KUL-BKK but it would be the day after, hence got to book an hotel.
If all of this doesnt work I would have to forget throwing in one more TP and spending again 4 nights in BOM. Changing the ticket dates Is more expensive than buying a new ticket.

Last edited by Protocol7; Dec 10, 19 at 7:56 am
Old Dec 10, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Thanks for your suggestions.
My first TP run will be in January BKK-KUL-BOM return, will stay in BOM for 4 nights and as I undestand that as a European citizen, with my passports, I can apply for a 60 days tourist e-visa.
My next TP run on the same route is Feb 6- feb 10.
I wanted to change the dates of the return flight and stay in BOM only one night but it’s more expensive than buying a new ticket.
Therefore im trying to throw in another TP run on the reverse route, it would be a new booking BOM-KUL-BKK Feb 6-10.
On both days, 6 and 10 and would have this short connection.
Why do I need a visa check if I’m not entering the country, it’s just a transfer. All flights are in business btw.
Alternatively I could pick a Flight BOM-KUL-BKK but it would be the day after, hence got to book an hotel.
If all of this doesn’t work I would have to forget throwing in one more TP and spending again 4 nights in BOM. Changing the ticket dates Is more expensive than buying a new ticket.

The reason the price is a lot higher with less days is that you are breaking the minimum stay requirements and therefore being repriced to a higher fare.

In regards to immigration:

The problem is you are not entering India you going back to the same place you came from is not classed as Transit as transit involves a THIRD country which is not classed as the one you just arrived from therefore not valid..

They have a visa check because if the airline allow you on the plane then you get rejected at immigration they are liable for the fines, fees and your deportation. At the bare minimum you need a multi entry visa as soon as you arrive at BOM on trip 1 that is your single visit used up you will then need a multi entry to board the next time round.

Here is the official TIMATIC extract which is what the airlines use:

Information as of 10DEC19 / 1459 UTC National United Kingdom (GB) /Embarkation Thailand (TH) /Destination India (IN) ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW India (IN)

Admission and Transit Restrictions: - Passports must be machine-readable to enter. Visa required, except for Passengers with an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card or booklet , or: Visa required, except for Passengers with a Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card , or: TWOV (Transit Without Visa): Visa required, except for Passengers transiting through Bangalore (BLR), Chennai (MAA), Delhi (DEL), Kolkata (CCU) or Mumbai (BOM) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 24 hours. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination. Visa required, except for Passengers transiting through Hyderabad (HYD) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 24 hours. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination. - Airlines must obtain the approval from the Immigration before departure.

Last edited by cgtechuk; Dec 10, 19 at 8:07 am
Old Dec 10, 19, 8:30 am

Thanks for clarifying that, Ive definitely been naive about immigration. I will have to select other flights
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
Hi. What's a typical price for first return on the 3 class service? 900 USD? Or more. I'm in the hunt for 350 points at the moment. Have until August, mind. Already got 1150 booked in with current trips coming up

Thanks
Unfortunately F is quite expensive for the three class flights... under $2K is "good" IME for a straight shot there and back. Often cheaper when combined with other flights.

rb211.
Old Dec 10, 19, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
In the current QR sale CPH-DOH-HKG-TPE 11172DKK return (1257GBP) for 640TP. Just under 2 per TP.
I was looking at November 2020.

Spike
MaxFlyer, our_kid, Lefly and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G)
Originally Posted by Funky Spike View Post
In the current QR sale CPH-DOH-HKG-TPE 11172DKK return (1257GBP) for 640TP. Just under 2 per TP.

Spike
I think there is a 5 days minimum stay for this fare, and 30 days advance purchase.

Qatar Airways (QR) RJR7P3ZX CPH to TPE

MIDWEEK BUSINESS EXCURSION FARES R FOR ROUND TRIP FARES

OUTBOUND - PERMITTED SUN THROUGH THU. INBOUND - PERMITTED MON THROUGH FRI ON THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.

Category 5: Advanced reservation/ticketing restrictions
RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 30 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN. TICKETING FOR DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN MUST BE COMPLETED AT LEAST 30 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.

Category 6: Minimum stay requirements
TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 5 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

Category 7: Maximum stay requirements
TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 1 MONTH AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

Category 14: Travel restrictions
VALID FOR TRAVEL COMMENCING ON/AFTER 01OCT 19.

Category 15: Sales restrictions
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/AFTER 01OCT 19.

Old Dec 10, 19, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Funky Spike View Post

Spike

Any other cities you can go to from HKG?
Old Dec 11, 19, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by armouredant View Post
That's concerning; I was planning to try a B2B at JHB next month; do you know if it's possible there? Separate tickets, same plane.
Personally never visited JHB, but a number of other regional MY airports The easy answer, assuming you are traveling on two different domestic tix, is that you'll be fine, but be sure to do OLCI before the first flight for the return. And bring the printed BP along, to be on the safe side. Normally you'll be arriving at your departure gate, so just get off, take a walk or a coffee (or both) and fly back again.

Are you coming from/flying back to KUL? If coming in from another country, there might be problems, as you may need to pass immigration, thus decreasing your turn-over time. As this the TP-run thread, the only OW flights to JHB is MH from/to KUL, so it would seem natural if you came from KUL. But YMMV

FYI, I miscalculated the ability to rebook a return flight from PEN to a B2B, on the same reservation, earlier this year. (Reservation was CGK-KUL//KUL-PEN-KUL//KUL-CGK) I had to buy a new ticket, but just for the PEN-KUL segment, and after some discussion, they let me keep the return to CGK, which would have been void as I technically would have been a no-show for the flight booked. Next time I'll do 2 B2Bs instead, with a nested PEN-KUL-PEN, to avoid the problems,
Old Dec 11, 19, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by onobond View Post
Personally never visited JHB, but a number of other regional MY airports The easy answer, assuming you are traveling on two different domestic tix, is that you'll be fine, but be sure to do OLCI before the first flight for the return. And bring the printed BP along, to be on the safe side. Normally you'll be arriving at your departure gate, so just get off, take a walk or a coffee (or both) and fly back again.

Are you coming from/flying back to KUL? If coming in from another country, there might be problems, as you may need to pass immigration, thus decreasing your turn-over time. As this the TP-run thread, the only OW flights to JHB is MH from/to KUL, so it would seem natural if you came from KUL. But YMMV
Thanks for this. Yes, two single, one way tickets, KUL-JHB and JHB-KUL, one cash, one avios, on adjacent flight numbers, so hopefully I'll be fine. Too late to worry now anyway
Old Dec 11, 19, 9:05 am

Programs: Centurion, Virgin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Apologies for the noob post but my status resets on the 9th January and I am keen on going from 0 to Gold as quickly and as efficiently as possible!

I would need to complete it for less than 2 per tier point in order to be worthwhile. I have the following trips already booked with Avios but could always cancel and change to cash if they could somehow form part of the mileage run!

Miami: 9-14 Jan
Cape Town: 3-10 Feb

I am based out of London.

Many thanks

Search this Thread