Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver, LH, AF
Originally Posted by saccosekk
Google Flights is a great tool if you're flexible with routings—there are over 20 return flights available from London for <£100 for a weeklong trip in July. You mentioned France—Paris is about £100, or for about £20-30 less, some southern Spanish holiday destinations; Malaga, Alicante, and Almeria.
Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've been hoping to do a run of the OTP-PHX fare that's been much discussed on this forum, but now I've gone to search in Matrix I can't find a price close to what has been discussed (showing as >£5k) at any point this year. I'm able to travel most times until Jan - is it possible this fare has dried up or am I more likely using Matrix wrong? Ideally I'd add in the HEL leg to squeeze out as many TPs as possible.

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to find this fare and point out what I'm doing wrong!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
​​​​​​There is still availability.... Can see fares for July at GBP 1400 range
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GTRtripper
I've been hoping to do a run of the OTP-PHX fare that's been much discussed on this forum, but now I've gone to search in Matrix I can't find a price close to what has been discussed (showing as >£5k) at any point this year. I'm able to travel most times until Jan - is it possible this fare has dried up or am I more likely using Matrix wrong? Ideally I'd add in the HEL leg to squeeze out as many TPs as possible.

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to find this fare and point out what I'm doing wrong!
When were you looking for? I can see it from 28 days out, within the validity period of the offer, and lots at £1,450:
INBOUND -
PERMITTED 21DEC 18 THROUGH 02JAN 19 OR 14APR 19 THROUGH
21APR 19 OR 01JUL 19 THROUGH 31AUG 19 FOR EACH
TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
OUTBOUND -
PERMITTED 22DEC 18 THROUGH 06JAN 19 OR 14APR 19 THROUGH
22APR 19 OR 01JUL 19 THROUGH 31AUG 19 FOR EACH
TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:09 am

Sorry for not being clearer. I can see OTP-PHX at that price on many dates, but nothing that maximised tier points, only direct or one stop on the LHR-OTP legs
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Sorry for not being clearer. I can see OTP-PHX at that price on many dates, but nothing that maximised tier points, only direct or one stop on the LHR-OTP legs
When I looked briefly it was showing OTP-LHR-JFK-PHX which is 720 TPs, so not great but not terrible.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Does anybody know of any TP runs in Malaysia on MH at the moment, it seems that a return in J to most domestic destinations near to KUL is about £150 so not bad at all £1.88/TP, but wondering if there are any better options?

In addition, does anybody know why MH domestic fares don't seem to show up in Google Flights properly? They do not show up at all on the price grid.

Date grid shows prices of £4063, but you can see prices of £153 in the background!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just how many stops do you want to make between OTP and LHR?

I'm pretty sure that most TP runners here fly that leg direct: it's the route you choose between LHR and PHX that nets you the tier points.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
Just how many stops do you want to make between OTP and LHR?

I'm pretty sure that most TP runners here fly that leg direct: it's the route you choose between LHR and PHX that nets you the tier points.
Oops - yes I meant LHR-PHX! Was hoping there might be something better than LHR-JFK-PHX, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Oops - yes I meant LHR-PHX! Was hoping there might be something better than LHR-JFK-PHX, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose...
Im having issues with screenshots. The £1400 Price range I mentioned above was OTP-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX return in reverse order in July.

In matrix

OTP
LHR, JFK, LAX
PHX

Business Class
2-7 Days
From 01/07/2019

Earns 2*(80+140+140+40) = 800 TP

Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
If you need around 320 TP (and don't mind planning ahead!), I'm seeing quite a lot of availability via google flights in Nov19 + Jan20 for the run LUX-DUB-LUX twice (one overnight in DUB required. Premier inn is £40) for £529 in total.
Some positioning flights would be needed.

£1.65 per TP for the headline rtn trip.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
If you need around 320 TP (and don't mind planning ahead!), I'm seeing quite a lot of availability via google flights in Nov19 + Jan20 for the run LUX-DUB-LUX twice (one overnight in DUB required. Premier inn is £40) for £529 in total.
Some positioning flights would be needed.

£1.65 per TP for the headline rtn trip.
LHR-SOF can be nested and done back to back for 320 TPs/£500. No hotel stay or positioning flights required.
ubiest likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by gforce
LHR-SOF can be nested and done back to back for 320 TPs/£500. No hotel stay or positioning flights required.
That's an interesting extra option: Could you share the flight schedule please? When I was looking it was one flight per day. Do you mean successive days?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
That's an interesting extra option: Could you share the flight schedule please? When I was looking it was one flight per day. Do you mean successive days?
What is presumably meant is that you book two separate tickets, something like the following:

LHR-SOF-LHR going out on a Saturday and returning the following Saturday (or whichever day is convenient for mileage running)
SOF-LHR-SOF for the same Saturday and Saturday combo

In SOF you'd be getting off the BA flight and hopping back on the same plane back to Heathrow, sleeping at home as usual...

There's no reason it wouldn't work for any of BA's 80 TP destinations that have a convenient back-to-back setup and similar or cheaper pricing ex-EU versus ex-London.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Google and MH = Inconsistent

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Does anybody know of any TP runs in Malaysia on MH at the moment, it seems that a return in J to most domestic destinations near to KUL is about £150 so not bad at all £1.88/TP, but wondering if there are any better options?

In addition, does anybody know why MH domestic fares don't seem to show up in Google Flights properly? They do not show up at all on the price grid.

!
No idea why but MH and Google don't seem to mix. Fares will show one day and not the next. I also note that pricing is more metronomic than just dynamic.

The best MH fares for BA TP tend to be from places in Asia just over 2000 mile mark with wide competition on the route.

Ex Taipei can easily net 360 to the likes of DPS and BKK for about £400-600. That said CX TPE to DPS is often around £520. That too yields 360.

Ex HKG, KUL is only 40 points. So you need to got to Aus or somewhere like KTM to get 360. HKG to SIN can net 160 rtn and is often cheap - not sure about SIN to HKG.

Ex PVG had some very high yielding fares in the last MH sale.

As you note domestic J or to SIN nets 80 usually around the £150 mark. Not bad but not great.
wilsnunn likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.