Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very poor food - template BA response

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by navylad

I’d recommend read the part entitled ‘How does reheated rice cause food poisoning?’, not the bit entitled ‘tips’. The former says nothing of reheating (since the reheating even up to 100 degrees C doesn’t remove the toxins that are more likely the issue with rice causing food poisoning, storage is far more important). Indeed there Bacillus Cereus survive many a heating process., some strains of which can cause food poisoning. Incidentally some strains are also probiotic.
I already knew about the issues with cooking rice, storing rice and reheating. That is why I mentioned it. The point I made regarded heating on the plane. British Airways caterers (I hope) would get the initial cooking, storage and delivery right. Reheating until steaming hot is a stipulated step for a good reason. It isn't optional but part of processing the food for passengers to safely eat. That is why guidelines are produced to emphasise that rice should be piping hot and recommended temperatures given.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
I already knew about the issues with cooking rice, storing rice and reheating. That is why I mentioned it. The point I made regarded heating on the plane. British Airways caterers (I hope) would get the initial cooking, storage and delivery right. Reheating until steaming hot is a stipulated step for a good reason. It isn't optional but part of processing the food for passengers to safely eat. That is why guidelines are produced to emphasise that rice should be piping hot and recommended temperatures given.
rather than going round and round in circles here, we will have to agree to disagree; the reality is about risk management, serving it piping hot serves to reduce the risk of other steps being inadequate. Even if all the steps are followed, this still doesn’t eliminate the risks. And certainly, one can’t say because the rice wasn’t popping hot (which still has not been reported as such yet), that the rice was responsible for the food poisoning.

This is the point that I making. I’m not saying don’t follow the guidance, it is the best way of mitigating all risks, but it doesn’t provide root cause analysis.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 6, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by navylad

rather than going round and round in circles here, we will have to agree to disagree; the reality is about risk management, serving it piping hot serves to reduce the risk of other steps being inadequate. Even if all the steps are followed, this still doesn’t eliminate the risks. And certainly, one can’t say because the rice wasn’t popping hot (which still has not been reported as such yet), that the rice was responsible for the food poisoning.

This is the point that I making. I’m not saying don’t follow the guidance, it is the best way of mitigating all risks, but it doesn’t provide root cause analysis.
You write with such authority it sounds like you are in the food / catering industry.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronzeish
I would just like to thank everyone for their input, insights, experience and wisdom in this thread. Apologies for not having replied to some of the questions - work is at 100% and I haven't got time at the moment. I will attempt to soon.

I'm following through with the complaint and will let you know what happens.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
What should have happened when the FAs discovered the food was still cold (no doubt after several complaints by passengers), is that all the food that had already been served should have been taken back and binned. There is no way to say that 'it's safe to eat'.

But what also should have happened is that every passenger who was served cold food should have refused to eat it and asked to have it taken away and binned. You didn't do that and that means you share responsibility for the outcome (assuming it was indeed the food that was responsible for your illness). If you are responsible for the outcome, you cannot then try to put all the responsibility back onto the airline.

What did happen no doubt is that someone in the flight crew said, 'if we take them all back, we will have nothing else to serve them. There will be a riot, tell them they are OK to eat.' Someone did what some people always do, that is, what is easiest for them.

Regarding it being fully coooked and safe to eat, that's a common misconception. It all depends on what happens during the cooling and re-heating periods. People often take say a leftover cold chicken leg out of the fridge and just eat it without any ill effects. But it is not guaranteed by any means. Here is a good description of the issue.
https://www.theskepticsguide.org/ask...reheating-meat

My wife has a medical background and NEVER serves any meat, fish or poultry without using a thermometer to make sure it has reached a high enough temperature. She would never have taken a second bite of what you were served or allowed me to do so. If I look at a cold chicken leg in the fridge, she just gives me 'that look' and I know I have to heat it first.

So bottom line for me on this one is that they should have taken it all back and weathered the resulting 'storm' of protest when there was nothing else left to serve you. Equally, you should have refused to eat it and insisted it be binned. The airline should then have apologized to all passengers for a mistake that happened for whatever reason and the passengers should have 'gracefully' accepted that apology and nibbled on the cookies they handed out instead or whatever.

But that would be in a perfect world.
Sorry for being slightly off topic but.... how do you eat chicken salad then?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
My advice is live in Mexico for 10 years. I have developed a stomach of steal during my decade there.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TTmex
My advice is live in Mexico for 10 years. I have developed a stomach of steal during my decade there.
Or South London. I don't even get sick in India. Although I did have a very horrible (and odd) case of "Faro belly" a decade ago. To date my only experience of proper food poisoning.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronzeish
Well, after three virtually identical emails from BA Customer Relations, I have given up. Each email from BA contained the same paragraphs "as previously mentioned..." and "our catering facilities..." (below). No admission that any mistake was made (even though it was admitted by the crew) probably for legal reasons and it seems that they refused to consult the CSM log of the flight.

To anyone asking what I was expecting, the answer is a little more than complete and utter disinterest and pasted replies. I mean, that's not really too much to ask is it? Apparently so.

Thanks for coming back to us. You’re clearly unhappy with our response and I understand why, but hopefully I can explain our position to you below.

As previously mentioned, we choose our catering partners carefully and we set very high standards for food preparation. Our suppliers must have strict processes in place when preparing all meals. We have our own Technical Standards for Food Safety and we continue to run our own Quality Programme.

Our catering facilities are expected to meet these standards and we’re audited frequently by an independent accredited globally recognised audit organisation. Once any food is on board our aircraft, we also have strict rules for the storage and preparation of food.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Caronahill
Well, after three virtually identical emails from BA Customer Relations, I have given up. Each email from BA contained the same paragraphs "as previously mentioned..." and "our catering facilities..." (below). No admission that any mistake was made (even though it was admitted by the crew) probably for legal reasons and it seems that they refused to consult the CSM log of the flight.

To anyone asking what I was expecting, the answer is a little more than complete and utter disinterest and pasted replies. I mean, that's not really too much to ask is it? Apparently so.
I'd keep going back until the address your issue with the food being served cold, which may have allowed bacteria to grow. Repeat their statements about the catering facilities saying you accept that, but in this case it is not relevant and the BA writer has not comprehended the complaint properly and ask for it to be escalated to someone who understands the issue. Ask for a phone number/email of someone to contact to explain verbally to. Or just go public on Twitter. That seems to get responses these days.

However, if they don't offer anything as a service recovery, they should state that they will address your concern and ensure all crew are aware not to serve cold food. This is the first time I've heard of it happening as normally everything I get is pipping hot. It is a pet peeve of mine when companies don't respond to the issue and waffle around it, hoping you will go away.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
What exactly are you hoping for?

You may well be wasting your effort here, perhaps if you remain dissatisfied with BA’s response it is time to part ways.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:21 pm

Again, you have to complain to the relevant food safety authority - not BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.