Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit visa?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
The Sri Lankan Policy is here: https://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/plan-and-book/luggage (Rules and Regulations)

Other rules governing treatment of baggage at stopover points,

• Passengers holding two separate documents (tickets) for their onward journey, the baggage can be interlined (tagged to the final destination) from all airports where SriLlankan Airlines flies, excluding
    • Indian destinations excluding New Delhi.
    • Domestic interline transfer
    • Connecting budget carriers
    • Airlines with which SriLankan Airlines does not have interline agreements
Baggage shall not be interlined to Domestic points within the same country.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
So assuming that the happy couple are connecting again through BOM then they'll have a similar issue on return.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
[Edit: incorrect info]

-

Last edited by fbrj; Jan 4, 2019 at 11:37 am Reason: Incorrect information
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

OP mentioned they were on a codeshare - presumably as BA codes on UL can’t be booked as standalone tickets doesn’t that mean it would have been BAxxx to BOM and then BAxxxx to Colombo operated by UL - and if so, wouldn’t this have to be on the same ticket (or at least PNR)?

Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I get very, very nervous about booking flights on separate tickets through countries with difficult visa situation
Even flying over those countries is a risk, Obviously, for most of us Austria isn't one of those countries, but it's the first google hit I found. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...ienna-airport/
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
Have you considered only carry on and sendmybag.com - looks like 2 days UK to Sri Lanka RT is about $300, might be cheaper then another alternative. good luck!
Never mind - I saw the resolution!! Awesome

Last edited by jpschoubert; Jan 4, 2019 at 2:32 pm Reason: Problem solved
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:36 pm

Good to see common sense prevail.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The Sri Lankan Policy is here: https://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/plan-and-book/luggage (Rules and Regulations)
Passengers holding two separate documents (tickets) for their onward journey, the baggage can be interlined (tagged to the final destination) from all airports where SriLlankan Airlines flies, excluding
Indian destinations excluding New Delhi.
Domestic interline transfer
Connecting budget carriers
Airlines with which SriLankan Airlines does not have interline agreements
Baggage shall not be interlined to Domestic points within the same country.
So again, coming back, they will have the same issue. Better to try and figure out a solution now than face the same problem at CMB on the return. Ship the bags and do HBO?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Finkface
So again, coming back, they will have the same issue. Better to try and figure out a solution now than face the same problem at CMB on the return. Ship the bags and do HBO?
I believe BA and Sri Lankan have an interline agreement so they probably will not have a problem, though I wouldn’t bet my honeymoon on it.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by fruitcage

I believe BA and Sri Lankan have an interline agreement so they probably will not have a problem, though I wouldn’t bet my honeymoon on it.
But it specifically excludes Indian destinations. So if their return flight is also through BOM, SriLankan will not through check the bags. I would be figuring out an alternative now so they aren’t facing the same issue on the return at CMB.

Passengers holding two separate documents (tickets) for their onward journey, the baggage can be interlined (tagged to the final destination) from all airports where SriLlankan Airlines flies, excluding
fruitcage likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Finkface
But it specifically excludes Indian destinations. So if their return flight is also through BOM, SriLankan will not through check the bags. I would be figuring out an alternative now so they aren’t facing the same issue on the return at CMB.

fair point. Not reading carefully enough.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
If the flight was Ł16,000 it should be fairly flexible, maybe see if it is possible to make a route change that does not go through India on the way home? It may not be possible to make changes once travel has started though.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:44 pm

India isn't their destination though, it's a transit. It depends whether they mean the destination of their SriLankan flight or their final destination. It's definitely something I'd want to get clarified before turning up at the airport.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
India isn't their destination though, it's a transit. It depends whether they mean the destination of their SriLankan flight or their final destination. It's definitely something I'd want to get clarified before turning up at the airport.
They have separate tickets. So on the SriLankan ticket, India is the destination.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Even flying over those countries is a risk, Obviously, for most of us Austria isn't one of those countries, but it's the first google hit I found. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...ienna-airport/
Ah true. Horror story for passengers a few years ago when an AF plane bound for Beirut was forced to land in Damascus!! Thankfully, Syrian authorities "merely" collected money from passengers to pay for the fuel rather than kept them hostage but there was potential for much worse yet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.