Transit visa?

Old Jan 5, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Ah true. Horror story for passengers a few years ago when an AF plane bound for Beirut was forced to land in Damascus!! Thankfully, Syrian authorities "merely" collected money from passengers to pay for the fuel rather than kept them hostage but there was potential for much worse yet...
A Norwegian flight had an emergency landing in Iran approx 3 weeks ago. Apparently they were treated very well as guests until Norwegian could arrange a rescue flight (the broken plane is still there awaiting a new engine which will likely never appear due to US sanctions).

Unfortunately that good treatment by Iran will be undone by the US now requiring any of those passengers who plan to visit it to get visas!
Old Jan 5, 19, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
A Norwegian flight had an emergency landing in Iran approx 3 weeks ago. Apparently they were treated very well as guests until Norwegian could arrange a rescue flight (the broken plane is still there awaiting a new engine which will likely never appear due to US sanctions).
Ouch, really? Wonder who will be footing the cost of that, suspect either the lessor or Norwegian. Don't know if/to what extent it would be covered by insurances.
Old Jan 5, 19, 9:21 am

Unfortunately that good treatment by Iran will be undone by the US now requiring any of those passengers who plan to visit it to get visas!
Friends of mine were on the flight and they can't find any mark or mention of Iran in their passports (they weren't stamped) Would they still need to get proper visas?
Old Jan 5, 19, 9:31 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Originally Posted by Watsono View Post
Friends of mine were on the flight and they can't find any mark or mention of Iran in their passports (they weren't stamped) Would they still need to get proper visas?
you never know with the US. If asked 'have you ever been to Iran?' they would have to answer in the affirmative
Old Jan 5, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Ouch, really? Wonder who will be footing the cost of that, suspect either the lessor or Norwegian. Don't know if/to what extent it would be covered by insurances.
I wonder how they decided where to land and whether they might try to limp on to a different country next time.
Old Jan 5, 19, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
you never know with the US. If asked 'have you ever been to Iran?' they would have to answer in the affirmative
or they could just lie of course...
Old Jan 5, 19, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by fruitcage View Post

or they could just lie of course...
very true. Then they might not need a visa, just a lawyer.
Old Jan 28, 19, 7:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW Leaders Club, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75K
Very helpful post. I have the exact situation later this year. I have an Indian visa so I could probably handle the baggage issues alone, but it seems like it would be worthwhile for my wife to get an evisa just in case. OneWorld is definitely not one world, especially on BA. If they want to have such a miserable rule, it should not apply to business or first class passengers. Glad common sense prevailed for them. Hope they can work things out for the return.