FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Vegan wine in CW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1948975-vegan-wine-cw.html)

BerksFlyer Jan 3, 2019 3:21 pm

Vegan wine in CW

I’ve notice recently that the menu in CW states whether each wine is suitable for Vegans. This has varied in my experience from three of the four being suitable down to just one white being suitable.

I'm travelling with a partner later this month on a LHR-MIA flight and was hoping someone could post a picture of the CW wine list, or confirm how many of the four wines are suitable for Vegans. This is based on my assumption that the LHR to USA wine list is the same for the entire month of January.

Thanks in advance.

Scots_Al Jan 3, 2019 3:23 pm

Genuine question - what would make “normal” wine unsuitable for vegans? It’s just fermented grape juice isn’t it?

moneypooraviosrich Jan 3, 2019 3:27 pm

I’m not doing the “how can you tell if someone’s a vegan” joke

BertieBadger Jan 3, 2019 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 30606003)
Genuine question - what would make “normal” wine unsuitable for vegans? It’s just fermented grape juice isn’t it?

I'm no expert but I believe it is the "fining agents" which are used in processing to clarify the wine. They are also used in beer as I understand.

Some of these agents are animal based (thus rendering the drink non-vegetarian) while others are based on milk proteins, or egg albumen (thus rendering the drink non-vegan)

That's my limited understanding anyway

JAXBA Jan 3, 2019 3:32 pm

The BBC had an article on this recently; These nine things aren't actually vegan

Can I help you Jan 3, 2019 3:34 pm

The two whites and one red are suitable for vegans.

BerksFlyer Jan 3, 2019 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30606048)
The two whites and one red are suitable for vegans.

Thanks CIHY, much appreciated.

Scots_Al Jan 3, 2019 4:24 pm

Interesting - thanks!

fishflyer Jan 4, 2019 2:48 pm

Attached wine list from CW SCL-LHR from yesterday.
Although the choice of vegan wine was excellent, a word of warning on the vegan catering - on 2 of 4 sectors, the VGML options came with either cream cheese or butter..

BerksFlyer Jan 4, 2019 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by fishflyer (Post 30610637)
on 2 of 4 sectors, the VGML options came with either cream cheese or butter..

Was the dairy in the meal or on the side?

This happens in many places so it doesn’t surprise me that BA do this too. The only way to ensure a pure vegan meal is to go to a place that only serves vegan products. Sadly people tend not to know what vegan actually means with diary, honey and even fish being offered regularly.

RGS5526 Jan 4, 2019 7:30 pm

Almost everything is suitable for vegans, in the sense that it will do no more harm to them than to everyone else.

More appropriate wording on menus and elsewhere would be "Compatible with the constraints of a vegan diet".

LCY8737 Jan 4, 2019 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by RGS5526 (Post 30611807)
Almost everything is suitable for vegans, in the sense that it will do no more harm to them than to everyone else.

More appropriate wording on menus and elsewhere would be "Compatible with the constraints of a vegan diet".

Sorry, but that sounds pretty ridiculous. If a meal is marked as suitable for vegans, any reasonable person would expect that a vegan can happily eat it. Bacon also does no harm to Jews and Muslims, yet nobody would describe a bacon butty as suitable for a halal/kosher diet.

And on the topic of vegan wine - I find it pretty disturbing what is legally allowed to go into wine. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think all these additives should be permitted.

BerksFlyer Jan 4, 2019 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by RGS5526 (Post 30611807)

Is it impossible to be vegan because you have a severe lactose intolerance but also have an ethical stance? Of course not, therefore your point is way off the mark.

ClimbingCook Jan 4, 2019 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer (Post 30612028)

Is it impossible to be vegan because you have a severe lactose intolerance but also have an ethical stance? Of course not, therefore your point is way off the mark.

Sure, if you're worried about the amount of lactose in egg whites you definitely should be careful which wine you drink... :rolleyes:

flatlander Jan 5, 2019 3:00 am

If you're extremely strict about the interpretation of vegan, then fining agents like gelatin (from animal bones), isinglass (from fish swim bladders) or (chicken) egg whites are not vegan and the wine they are used in is not vegan. The actual amount of fining agent, whether it's these or a variant of agar, remaining in the wine should be zero. So there's a "fruit of the forbidden tree", or "some transitive animal involvement" here. Compare "I don't wear leather because...".

The rise and rise of veganity as a social construct is a different, yet also interesting question; so much publicity for so small a minority (<5% of people). I note that the wines are not stated to be vegetarian or not (i.e., egg is OK, fish/animal products are not).