Vegan wine in CW

Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:27 am

At least the seats aren’t real leather, or the new White Company products full of duck down.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737

And on the topic of vegan wine - I find it pretty disturbing what is legally allowed to go into wine. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think all these additives should be permitted.
You're disturbed about the additives in wine that make it stable and preserve it but are fine ingesting a class 1 carcinogen?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by flatlander
If you're extremely strict about the interpretation of vegan, then fining agents like gelatin (from animal bones), isinglass (from fish swim bladders) or (chicken) egg whites are not vegan and the wine they are used in is not vegan. The actual amount of fining agent, whether it's these or a variant of agar, remaining in the wine should be zero. So there's a "fruit of the forbidden tree", or "some transitive animal involvement" here. Compare "I don't wear leather because...".

The rise and rise of veganity as a social construct is a different, yet also interesting question; so much publicity for so small a minority (<5% of people). I note that the wines are not stated to be vegetarian or not (i.e., egg is OK, fish/animal products are not).
Amazingly informative and intelligent post, I loved reading it!

I may have missed the mention of this but for those interested any wine that is kosher is vegan as kosher certification does not allow for any animal products in the process. So for example, it would be easy to look for wines from Israel, many of which are very high quality, and would be vegan or simply look for wines with a proper kosher certification.

Last edited by BOStonTravels; Jan 5, 2019 at 5:38 am Reason: Adding caution that some kosher wines may contain egg products as I clarified in later post
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by fishflyer
Attached wine list from CW SCL-LHR from yesterday.
Although the choice of vegan wine was excellent, a word of warning on the vegan catering - on 2 of 4 sectors, the VGML options came with either cream cheese or butter..
I struggle to believe this. Are you sure you ordered a VGML and not a lacto-ovo vegetarian meal? I regularily order BA's VGML and never had dairy products served. What I noticed, though, is that crews almost always refer to it as a vegetarian meal: "Oh, you pre-ordered a vegetarian meal, sir?".
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Amazingly informative and intelligent post, I loved reading it!

I may have missed the mention of this but for those interested any wine that is kosher is vegan as kosher certification does not allow for any animal products in the process. So for example, it would be easy to look for wines from Israel, many of which are very high quality, and would be vegan or simply look for wines with a proper kosher certification.
Thanks

To add, "fining" is the process of removing any floating sediment from yeast or pieces of grape, to render the wine clear and relatively biologically inert - preventing secondary fermentation in the bottle. Your point about Kosher wine is interesting too - and given the care Jews take about Kashrut, you can rely on it being as vegan as you say.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by offshore_bob
You're disturbed about the additives in wine that make it stable and preserve it but are fine ingesting a class 1 carcinogen?
I prefer not to have fish bladder in my wine. Matter of preference. If you want fish bladder in yours, that is fine by me.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by flatlander
Thanks

To add, "fining" is the process of removing any floating sediment from yeast or pieces of grape, to render the wine clear and relatively biologically inert - preventing secondary fermentation in the bottle. Your point about Kosher wine is interesting too - and given the care Jews take about Kashrut, you can rely on it being as vegan as you say.
I am not an expert in the finer points of Kashrut (or being vegan) but I should caution that some wines with Kosher certification may allow for egg products in the fining process as egg from Kosher animals is considered Pareve (neutral, not meat or dairy so can be eaten with either). This kind of information could easily be found by strict vegans by asking the kosher certification authority on the product as they would easily be able to answer if any animal products/byproducts were used.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, KL Gold
Cream cheese was served on top of a salad on domestic sector and butter in the side on long haul (despite being told it was vegan by crew)...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, KL Gold
Originally Posted by florens
I struggle to believe this. Are you sure you ordered a VGML and not a lacto-ovo vegetarian meal? I regularily order BA's VGML and never had dairy products served. What I noticed, though, is that crews almost always refer to it as a vegetarian meal: "Oh, you pre-ordered a vegetarian meal, sir?".
Definitely VGML ordered, as OH is ex airline staff and knows her special meals

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.