Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Filthy Cabin [787-9 from Mexico City]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: BA(Gold),LX(Gold),EK,AF,AC(Star Silver)
Originally Posted by bowzer91
On most BA F flights I take, I use the first hot towel service on the ground to clean some of the fixtures and the armrest. Cabin cleaning doesn't seem to be a priority, occasionally even out of LHR!
i do te same! The hot towel Always comes out dark grey after my wipe. I complained once, got a form
response. I would start Instagram posting and tweeting pictures with the #BA and encouraging retweets to followers. This will get BA’s attention. It’s amazing how BA has given up on premium cabin customer service. They haven’t really had a Product update since they introduced flat beds in Club World. Food quality has gone down a lot even with ‘new improved’ offering. I wonder why anybody is still flying with them ? They haven’t invested much in aircraft or product in the last 10 years. Just buying low rate airlines like Vuelling, Iberia and Aer Lingus. Let’s hope Qatar increases its holding and brins it back to standard. I can always dream
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:58 pm

What also let’s it down for me is the fact that BA cabin crew generally consider keeping a cabin tidy an activity that’s beneath them. Let’s face it, there’s so much detritus that accumulates over the course of a flight. Countless plastic wrappers from headphones, bedding, amenity kits, paper napkins, coasters, which, if you fly a Japanese airline or Qatar will be whisked away immediately by the crew no matter the stage of the cabin service. Leave as much as small toothpick paper wrapper lying around openly around your seat and it will be gone within 15 minutes. On BA you can demonstrably wedge all plastic wrapping behind the footstool or leave something on a table and it will still be thee 12 hours later when you land.

To me that filters down to the flying public. If the crew doesn’t respect a tidy cabin why would a passenger and let’s face it, where are you meant to throw all that stuff yourself? Personal storage around seats should be for my personal items, not rubbish forced on me by BA cabin service.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
This has nothing to do with the OP - it has everything to do with the people who sat there before him and in the pictures that followed,

I am well aware what the issues are, thank you. The rubbish would have been collected - or do you expect it to be scattered all over the floor? I don't. If I open blankets or read newspapers, I leave them where they can be collected as I do not care to sit with trash at my feet.

I worked with this and I assure you that it has got far worse in recent years.What I was trying to say was that this is the situation and BA should deal with it,
Then you have misunderstood what I said. My comment is that the issues identified in the ORIGINAL POST are not things caused by slobs.

Leaving behind the plastic wrap of a blanket or headset is not unreasonable. Nor are crumbs on a seat. This is the normal debris of a long haul flight and should have been cleaned. Similarly the use of inferior quality fittings is hardly the traveller's fault.

Sadly the reason this seems to come up more regularly is everything to do with penny pinching and the lack of proper supplier management. Very soon we will no doubt hear that planes will only be cleaned at base so if outward travellers could take their rubbish away and clean their area with a wet wipe that would be appreciated.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by simons1

Sadly the reason this seems to come up more regularly is everything to do with penny pinching and the lack of proper supplier management. Very soon we will no doubt hear that planes will only be cleaned at base so if outward travellers could take their rubbish away and clean their area with a wet wipe that would be appreciated.
Wonder why it is the regular BA fliers I know rarely experience the same issues I read about on here?
cjb666 and navylad like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I sense this may not just be a BA problem. I have flown on a number of new generation planes (NZ, LA, UA, QFand AA 787 and CX and SQ A350’s) in the biz cabins and feel that the manufacturers are using slimmer and less robust materials to keep weight down and deliver promises on range and fuel consumption. My last few flights on CX A350s showed the plane (less than a year old) with gaffer tape and knocked corners and general scuffing, as well as scratchy paint jobs on handsets. They won’t see five years without really showing wear and tear in the cabin and the need for a refit.
In fairness, Cathay have recognised that there are significant issues with the A350 seats, and they probably didn't expect them given that they were merely refreshes of the other LH seats they had which wore quite well. Cathay are also actively trying to replace them (albeit having problems with supply chain issues from the manufacturers), as explained here.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Wonder why it is the regular BA fliers I know rarely experience the same issues I read about on here?
I think I can help you with that one - and it really isn’t much of a mystery.

The (very simple) explanation is that there is a far greater cross-section of experienced BA users on this Forum, and who collectively spend far more time in the air, than is the case within your rather more limited circle of contacts.

If you’re happy to accept at face value what you hear from your own contacts, then why are you not equally ready to respect and accept the word of FT members where their flight reports are concerned ?

If, on the other hand, you’re of the view that people come on here just to make up stuff that didn’t happen, then you should at least have the courage to say so outright - along with reasons as to why anyone would wish to do that.

With few exceptions, FT contributors do not lead a charmed life of travel. They see both the good and the bad in various airlines, at various times ; and when posting, they choose to speak as they find - just as OP norrie09 has done, in this very thread (with supporting evidence in the shape of some unpleasant photos).

There can be no merit whatever in attempting to excuse any premium travel supplier - whether it be hotelier, car rental company, or airline - which presents its product in the unaaceptable way described by norrie09 - and indeed by many, many others who have personally witnessed similar results of shoddy cleaning standards onboard BA aircraft.

Many a business leader would do well to heed the wise words of Bill Gates :
Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning”
SK, NoY, choosethedrew and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
A decent vacuum and wipe between those pesky "mucky" passengers would alleviate any complaints. My F A380 seat on Monday was gross
The seats occupied by my family were absolutely fine, we must have had the good cleaner on our side It was lovely to meet you, we had a very good flight with very good crew.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by noddie09
It would be great to see one huge forum with photos from a range of aircraft.
I came to this thread through a link from a flyer talk email, so I have not checked the forum to see if one has been created. Anyone can start a thread with this subject matter. In fact, there is one in the Delta Forum related to Delta planes:

Hall of Shame: Photographic Evidence of busted or broken Delta Air Lines jets

As I have never flown BA, and have no plans to do so, I will leave it up to someone in your forum to create one.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
@noddie09 - thank you for coming back once again, and it was interesting to read of the official response by BA.
We see a fair few similar reports by FT-ers, but don’t always get to hear of the denouement, so to speak ^

It was not me who experienced the filthy cabin as you did, nor was I party to the subsequent telephone conversation. And for those reasons I totally respect your view that “the feedback was taken constructively.”

That said, I tend to share the underlying sense of cynicism expressed by several others here ; indeed, in all honesty I could have pretty much scripted that response myself !

What intrigues me above all is that only now - or, rather, next week - is this unacceptable situation about to be (allegedly) addressed :

“She informed me that the aircraft was due to be serviced next week and that the condition of the seat was one of the top priorities on their list”

This raises two - equally unwelcome - possibilities :

1. BA only became aware of the bad condition of the seat (+ its facilities etc) as a result of your photos ; which in turn begs the question .... just what sort of inspections take place in BA’s First class cabins ?
OR
2. BA were aware for quite some time of the bad seat, but couldn’t be bothered to do anything about it.

And this bit is especially interesting :

I mentioned that in my opinion the seat should be taken out of service asap to avoid further disappointment for other passengers however she mentioned that due to load factors, this wouldn't be possible.”

I believe the translation of the above is :

“We recognise that this seat - in its current state - is nothing short of a disgrace to a First Class cabin, but we prefer to keep raking in big money for it from more unsuspecting passengers such as yourself, than take it out of service, as you rightly suggest.”
I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments above @subject2load. We are raking it in and therefore couldn't afford to take the seat out of service. We are aware of the problem but most folks don't complain!! Shocking stuff
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

The ledge between seat and fuselage had not been vacuumed for a long while, covered in dust and debris. The controller and surrounding areas were covered in sticky drink splashes. Plenty of hair and fluff on main seat / foot rest.

Crew and food were spot on and it didn't impact my journey, it's just disappointing
Just off phone from BA customer services who called with a genuine concern and apology - 10,000 Avios service recovery to my friend and I.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by noddie09
I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments above @subject2load. We are raking it in and therefore couldn't afford to take the seat out of service. We are aware of the problem but most folks don't complain!! Shocking stuff
At least it was an honest response rather than some cut and paste bollocks, but yes it's a pretty unsatisfactory state of affairs.

Question for those in the know: do the CC do a cabin walk through pre-flight to carry out a visual check on seats/rubbish etc in the same way that the flight crew always inspect the outside of a/c? I appreciate that there will be a lot of work to do pre-flight, especially on short haul sectors, but I wonder whether a "cleanliness visual" is SOP at BA?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The cabin crew will be focussing on safety and security checks before boarding but other obvious things should be noticed.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I have previously experienced a delay in boarding without much explanation as to reason. Once on board the explanation was given, namely the captain was unhappy with the cleanliness of the aircraft and had required an additional clean before passengers boarded. For info the flight was from Santiago.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Since the 789s are used on flights where the F cabin is not sold and is used as a crew rest area surely a crew member resting in one of the seats would have noted the premature wear and tear on the seat area and the IFE and seat controllers at some point. That didn't happen in the course of one flight. Or would their concerns be ignored as well?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As I have said all these faults would have been reported and BA are either waiting for a retro fit from the manufacturer or enough time on the ground to fit the replacements, this is not an excuse but just to explain that the cabin crew log many defects daily and wouldn’t have ignored them.
HIDDY and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by Can I help you; Jan 8, 2019 at 9:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.