Filthy Cabin [787-9 from Mexico City]

Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
Filthy Cabin [787-9 from Mexico City]

Hi All,

I recently returned from a BA flight from Mexico in 1A and the state of the cabin was beyond a joke. The locker by my head was broken, the leather around the table was completely shredded, the remote control looked like it had been bashed against a wall by a 3 year old for the last 5 years. Is this now the new normal standard people can expect from BA? Has anyone complained about this in the past?

The flight was on the ground for 2 hours in Mexico before we departed and there was no way this was cleaned. The plastic wrappers from the headphones and blanket were stuffed in my locker from the previous flight and the seat was covered in crumbs. Disappointing is an under statement.

Should I email BA? Will anyone even bother to reply? On a positive note, the crew were fantastic and they were mortified when I pointed all this out. Sadly the cabin was fully booked so no spare seat was available.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:40 am

Cleaning its aircraft properly is not a priority for BA and many airlines - managing delays, getting the aircraft in the air and cutting costs is what counts. You could argue it's down to the quality and behaviour of passengers, though. The cleanest aircraft I have travelled on are Japan Airlines and ANA but Japanese passengers don't really do mess! If you have ever taken a 12 hr BA flight to Tokyo which is mostly Japanese customers, you will probably notice a spotless plane with blankets folded on the seats by customers.
scouserdave likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I thought BA had finished a deep clean on all their aircraft? Just shows you what a mucky lot J and F pax are.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
I thought BA had finished a deep clean on all their aircraft? Just shows you what a mucky lot J and F pax are.
A decent vacuum and wipe between those pesky "mucky" passengers would alleviate any complaints. My F A380 seat on Monday was gross
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I was on BA242 the other day and didn't notice any untoward about the cleanliness.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by noddie09
Should I email BA? Will anyone even bother to reply?
Waste of time. You will get a canned reply which will wind you up.

This subject comes up quite often....probably a combination of fleet pressure due to 787 issues, and cleaning costs money.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:20 am
Original Poster

A decent vacuum should be included in the fare price surely!? It's not like F travel is cheap, especially over the winter period. Lesson learnt for future travel I guess. Pick another airline next time
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
If you are troubled enough to post it here you definitely should bring the matter to the airline's attention. Companies monitor complaints and while you may get a canned response it may spur some action. FWIW, when I've had a problem with an airline Twitter seems to get their attention more other means.
jeremdau likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:27 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Include some photos in your tweet (if you've got them).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
I took this flight a few months ago, and the seat controls were completely unreadable. Looked like somebody scratched the pictures off the buttons. Being my first time on the 787, I had to have the crew describe(/guessing and trying) which buttons were doing what . Obviously never complained about such a small thing, but I was disappointed by the state the aircraft was in after such a short period in service. The leather was very scuffed as well.

Not as bad as the outbound 747 I was on though. The IFE for 1K was loose on the top, and it got to the state where I feared it might fall out of the wall and onto my legs. Crew offered another seat though, but I ended up just stowing the IFE instead.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
As already mentioned above, cleaning to a consistently high standard ahead of every departure costs serious money, and is unfortunately just not as much of a priority for BA as passengers would wish it to be.

You will get a response should you decide to report what you found.

It would, however, be a major surprise if you received anything other than a ready-made, here’s-one-I-made-earlier, pre-formulated response (sort of letter number ‘CR23/dirty cabin’) from the template manual.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Welcome to First Class on British Airways!!!

rickg523, 86BA7 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
the flight might have been on the ground for two hours but that does not mean there is two hours for cleaning given the time for pax to disembark and then boarding before departure. They probably have an hour at most.

That said I too would be unhappy with a lack of basic cleanliness. I wouldn't have been too bothered by a small plastic bag from headphones but the used blanket and crumbs would.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold

The ledge between seat and fuselage had not been vacuumed for a long while, covered in dust and debris. The controller and surrounding areas were covered in sticky drink splashes. Plenty of hair and fluff on main seat / foot rest.

Crew and food were spot on and it didn't impact my journey, it's just disappointing
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:12 am
Original Poster

As someone mentioned above though, the fact that the basic controls were not even legible is poor show. I too struggled with the controls as this was only my second flight in F. I guess though these seats are only reserved for BA's best (Gold Members). Perhaps I should have opted for 2A.

I have decided to send in a complaint via Twitter and we shall see what generic reply I receive.
NoY and AnaTravel like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.